The Student Room Group

Coroner Career Path

I am a Level 3 BTEC Business student in my first year, currently working at DDM. At the end of my qualification I am predicted to be awarded with D*D*D or higher. My goal is to study to become a coroner, and ny question here is asking what would be the best career path?

As part of my qualification, I need to complete 70 hours of work experience. For my first year I am doing 35 hours of work experince at a local care home, and then in my second year I hopefully will be doing 35 hours at a barrister firm. I initially thought of going down the traditional route into law, completing my LLB and then working at a barrister firm.

To become a coroner in the UK, a person needs to be a qualified barrister or solicitor or a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives with at least five years' qualified experience.

Due to the nature of the role, it is often beneficial to study medicine or something of the like. Another option would be to study a biology degree (biomedicine or even medicine) and then complete a GDL to get a variety of skills and knowledge.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't know if the random letters in the post mean that you don't want to know how to become a coroner anymore, or whether you still do. But there may be others who look at this in future, so I'll assume you do.

Much like becoming a Judge, to become a coroner you must first hold a relevant legal position, so currently a barrister, solicitor or legal executive. As with other judicial roles, and you can apply to become a Coroner or Assistant Coroner just as you would apply for any other job as and when vacancies become available. In practice it is common to become a coroner part time alongside your private practice before moving into a full time role, and indeed many practitioners who become part time coroners, like those who are deputy district judges or fee paid tribunal judges, don't intend to ever move into the role full time. It all comes down to individual preference.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I don't know if the random letters in the post mean that you don't want to know how to become a coroner anymore, or whether you still do. But there may be others who look at this in future, so I'll assume you do.

Much like becoming a Judge, to become a coroner you must first hold a relevant legal position, so currently a barrister, solicitor or legal executive. As with other judicial roles, and you can apply to become a Coroner or Assistant Coroner just as you would apply for any other job as and when vacancies become available. In practice it is common to become a coroner part time alongside your private practice before moving into a full time role, and indeed many practitioners who become part time coroners, like those who are deputy district judges or fee paid tribunal judges, don't intend to ever move into the role full time. It all comes down to individual preference.

Yes, thank you! I did research into it and I've noticed that it's sometimes beneficial to also study medicine. My only issue is that I eont be able to, even with a foundation year. Is having a medicine degree vital, or could it still be possible to become a coroner entirely through a law route.
Original post by Astreadioneblack
Yes, thank you! I did research into it and I've noticed that it's sometimes beneficial to also study medicine. My only issue is that I eont be able to, even with a foundation year. Is having a medicine degree vital, or could it still be possible to become a coroner entirely through a law route.

I don't do inquests myself so don't have any sort of in depth knowledge of the backgrounds of coroners generally, but I know three lawyers personally who sit as coroners, and none of them have medicine degrees if that helps at all. I can see how some sort of experience with medicine may be beneficial, but it is predominantly a legal role. I wouldn't worry about not studying medicine personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending