Computer Games Design BA at Huddersfield University Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi!

I am a Games Design student that is looking to go to university in 2020, and I was looking to get some opinions on the Computer Games Design course at Huddersfield University? I might be looking to study here in the future.

Any opinions on the course will be greatly appreciated
mistie90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am currently studying Games Design in Huddersfield University, and it has been.. an experience. I will try to summarise this for you:
If you are a games design student already, regardless of whether you have an idea of what part of the job you want to do, you may have a bit of an easier start than most people in the course (the only part you may struggle with is change of software as most of what we use is paid and industry approved). The first year consists of us having to go through pretty much a summary that games design jobs could require you to do (as some people are not sure what they want to do & this helps people understand who you may be working with in industry), you will be given feedback accordingly and see what you like doing. I think first year is the hardest, but what I like about this course is that they let you choose what path you want to take later on in the upcoming years. In second year you will already have more freedom doing what you feel you want to do, and third year will be best of all to help in career.
The career advice is also very helpful, tutors can help you through your portfolio, and all of that. I think the downside regarding this course (not just in Hudd but in literally every other uni) is that you have to spend an atrocious amount of time learning things on your own. You will be provided with resources but don't expect to be holding your teacher's hand on your way to getting stuff done.. Depending what you want to do in games design specifically, you will probably find yourself trying to leech onto information from anywhere you can find, and only have that extra support from your mentors on a side. Just to mention, in second year there is a module regarding how to get a job, essentially, and it's not the typical drilling of "do a cv", so that's quite good.
The teachers on the course have quite a bit of experience also which I thought I should also mention. There is also a module where the designers are put with programmers to make a game jam few times a year - this was a huge thing I wanted from a course and it's genuinely helped me improve, personally. You get a lot of stuff in your brain if you really get into it, which is good for its competitive nature.
Anyway I would probably recommend this if you like design, but if you are more of a programmer, you may want to lean towards the games programming course instead as it will offer you more experience with different engines.
Hope you find this useful.
Last edited by mistie90; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mistie90)
I have been studying games design in University of Huddersfield at present, and it has been.. an experience. I will try to summarise this for you:
If you are a games design student already, regardless of whether you have an idea of what part of the job you want to do, you will have a bit of an easier start than most people in the course (the only part you may struggle with is change of software as most of what we use is paid and industry approved). The first year consists of us having to go through pretty much a summary that games design jobs could require you to do (as some people are not sure what they want to do), you will be given feedback accordingly and see what you like doing. I think first year is the hardest, but what I like about this course is that they let you choose what path you want to take later on in the upcoming years. In second year you will already have more freedom doing what you feel you want to do, and third year will be best of all to help in career. The career advice is also very helpful, tutors can help you through your portfolio, and all of that. I think the downside regarding this course (not just in Hudd but in literally every other uni) is that you have to spend an atrocious amount of time learning things on your own. You will be provided with resources but don't expect to be holding your teacher's hand on your way to getting stuff done.. Depending what you want to do in games design specifically, you will probably find yourself trying to leech onto information from anywhere you can find, and only have that extra support from your mentors on a side. Not to mention, in second year there is a module regarding how to get a job, essentially, and it's not the typical drilling of "do a cv", so that's quite good.
The teachers on the course have quite a bit of experience also which I thought I should also mention. There is also a module where the designers are put with programmers to make a game jam few times a year - this was a huge thing I wanted from a course and it's genuinely helped me improve, personally. You get a lot of stuff in your brain if you really want to do this module, which is good for its competitive nature.
Anyway I would probably recommend this if you like design, but if you are more of a programmer, you may want to lean towards the games programming course instead as it will offer you more experience with different engines.
This is really helpful, thank you!
mistie90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is really helpful, thank you!
Let me know if you have other questions and I will do my best to answer you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
    Sat, 27 Jun '20
    Sat, 26 Sep '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (416)
43.93%
No (98)
10.35%
I'm not old enough (433)
45.72%

Watched Threads