Does my piano teacher teach too slow? or is it just me? Watch

bulbasaur55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve been playing piano since i was 7, and now i’m 16. My grade 8 abrsm exam is in a week and I’ve just realised that it’s taken me 9 years while i’ve heard many of my mums friend’s children having done grade 8 when they were way younger than me. Does my piano teacher teach too slow? I know i’m not a bad learner, as every one of my exams up to grade 7 were distinctions
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What does it matter what other people have achieved? The speed of their progression doesn’t affect how well you play piano

Are you happy with your progress? You’ve been with this reach for nearly a decade so you must like their teaching style!

You’re 16, still young and got the rest of your life to play piano and develop your skills further.

Congratulations getting to grade 7 and good luck for grade 8!
bulbasaur55
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
What does it matter what other people have achieved? The speed of their progression doesn’t affect how well you play piano

Are you happy with your progress? You’ve been with this reach for nearly a decade so you must like their teaching style!

You’re 16, still young and got the rest of your life to play piano and develop your skills further.

Congratulations getting to grade 7 and good luck for grade 8!
lol thank you!! I guess i was just wondering since i’ve heard of so many people getting to where i am at like 12 years old lmao. I haven’t had any other piano teacher, so I can’t compare teaching which is why i was curious as to whether my teacher taught slow or not.
lilTrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no, that sounds right-- a year per grade, and 1 extra considering you got distinctions so you must be great at what youre doing. dont worry how younger kids are doing since you never know, maybe theyre being rushed through the grades (being able to do a high grade does not mean youre necessarily great, thats why you need to do grade 5 theory to continue, this is to filter out students who copy)
also mind me asking what pieces youre doing, out of curiosity lol
Rizen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just you
bulbasaur55
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilTrain)
no, that sounds right-- a year per grade, and 1 extra considering you got distinctions so you must be great at what youre doing. dont worry how younger kids are doing since you never know, maybe theyre being rushed through the grades (being able to do a high grade does not mean youre necessarily great, thats why you need to do grade 5 theory to continue, this is to filter out students who copy)
also mind me asking what pieces youre doing, out of curiosity lol
ah ur right, guess when little kids do better than me i start questioning myself lol. I’m doing A1 (sarabande and gigue), B2 (presto alla tedesca), and C3 (sonatina)
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
I’ve been playing piano since i was 7, and now i’m 16. My grade 8 abrsm exam is in a week and I’ve just realised that it’s taken me 9 years while i’ve heard many of my mums friend’s children having done grade 8 when they were way younger than me. Does my piano teacher teach too slow? I know i’m not a bad learner, as every one of my exams up to grade 7 were distinctions
Everyone learns at a different rate and it depends on a lot of factors. I don't see how comparing yourself to others is helpful or in any way useful. Surely all that matters is that you've now got there (Diploma next!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (98)
33.56%
No I don't (135)
46.23%
I work during the holidays (59)
20.21%

Watched Threads