This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I will respond to all comments in the morning.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
It seems I'm in the minority but I'm actually against this. Petitions are the only thing that can get non-MP issues to the floor without seconding, I wouldn't wish to see anything interrupt that.
This doesn’t actually stop items being debate, merely just them heading to division. One would imagine non MPs who wish to get involved more would submit a serious petition anyway. Would any changes secure your support?

(Original post by Aph)
I believe that in this case, ambiguity would be better. Letting the speaker have total reign over what is a joke.
Thanks for the feedback.

(Original post by Aph)
So the no-resubmission amendment is on the wording and not ideas? Can I reword a bill minorly each time and resubmit?
It’s item based. Although I can see where you are coming from.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm undecided. In principle the same issue with spamming to fill voting reviews still exists, but also the petition process is more mechanical and I kind of think it should stay that way.

I'd also be open to considering a blanket ban on joke petitions and petition votes not counting for the review.
Interesting, I didn’t consider that. The issue with a blanket ban on joke petitions is that they are not actually posted by me, so I cannot reject them off the bat (although it is possible).

On your second point are you talking about joke petitions, or all petitions in general?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm afraid not Andrew97, I think you'll win anyway and I don't care hugely but I am against the idea itself.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Interesting, I didn’t consider that. The issue with a blanket ban on joke petitions is that they are not actually posted by me, so I cannot reject them off the bat (although it is possible).

On your second point are you talking about joke petitions, or all petitions in general?
Yeah, it would require you to close and potentially move inappropriate petitions (though that's probably not that different to when people post other inappropriate threads in the MHoC).

I was thinking all petitions as well.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It seems I'm in the minority but I'm actually against this. Petitions are the only thing that can get non-MP issues to the floor without seconding, I wouldn't wish to see anything interrupt that.
Which is all very well until people use petitions to call for the execution of landlords.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Which is all very well until people use petitions to call for the execution of landlords.
Well there's an argument to say that calling for execution is discriminatory language and therefore against TSR site rules in the first place, in that specific context I believe the speaker has grounds for removal of the petition through TSR Community Guidelines rather than MHoC rules.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well there's an argument to say that calling for execution is discriminatory language and therefore against TSR site rules in the first place, in that specific context I believe the speaker has grounds for removal of the petition through TSR Community Guidelines rather than MHoC rules.
Rather unfortunately, calling for the death of landlords isn't calling Jessica ”wax my female balls” Yaniv by the wrong name/pronouns and so won't be tackled by the Support Team.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Rather unfortunately, calling for the death of landlords isn't calling Jessica ”wax my female balls” Yaniv by the wrong name/pronouns and so won't be tackled by the Support Team.
The Support Team no longer exists under that name, and the Support team never held responsibility for moderation since 2013. If you reported it and it wasn't dealt with by the Community Staff as you perhaps expected it to be, go and ask about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1217

If you didn't report it and believe there was ground for it to be removed then that's not something to blame others for.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Discussion about general TSR moderation is not for this thread, if you have an issue with that please take it to Atct.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Division, clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed