Kiani
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I am really interested in architecture but have been really confused lately as I research more and more about the field. I have realised that it is a male dominant career and not a diverse one either. Please can anyone tell me more info regarding these topics because I dont want to get the degree and be jobless just because im Asian and a female.
Thanks
Habiba2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey omg basically I’m Asian too (Middle Eastern and female . And I’m was always interested in buildings then I came across Architectural technology
Habiba2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kiani)
Hi guys, I am really interested in architecture but have been really confused lately as I research more and more about the field. I have realised that it is a male dominant career and not a diverse one either. Please can anyone tell me more info regarding these topics because I dont want to get the degree and be jobless just because im Asian and a female.
Thanks
I feel like AT is really good especially for female as well and it quite hard to get a job and I asked people who are already in the job aspect and they said your more likely to get a job from AT than architecture as now say more people like technology as it’s a key aspect of our lives .
Kiani
Rep:
?
Do you know of any platform in which I can talk to a professional
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kiani)
Thanks
Hey, i studied in the school of Arch at uni, there were loads of girls on that course and for the studios i've researched there is plenty of diversity around especially places like London. Don't be discouraged, loads of people are ttrying to tackle this issue around the world, and it all starts with people like yourself for example, who don't get repelled and instead follow what you are passionate about
Kiani
Rep:
?
(Original post by leopard202)
Hey, i studied in the school of Arch at uni, there were loads of girls on that course and for the studios i've researched there is plenty of diversity around especially places like London. Don't be discouraged, loads of people are ttrying to tackle this issue around the world, and it all starts with people like yourself for example, who don't get repelled and instead follow what you are passionate about
Heya, yeah I totally get u but u know in reality we have to see if the degree is worth going through all that racism (there is always some were there is diversity) and the struggles that one may eventually face just to struggle to find a job at the end.
Btw which uni are u studying at if you dont mind me asking
xxx0xxxo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kiani)
Heya, yeah I totally get u but u know in reality we have to see if the degree is worth going through all that racism (there is always some were there is diversity) and the struggles that one may eventually face just to struggle to find a job at the end.
Btw which uni are u studying at if you dont mind me asking
I was at Nottingham Trent. In the working world you are judged by your portfolio and interpersonal skills, you are not allowed to be discriminated against. I had a few 'Asian' friends in my year they had no problem finding work, only one person whose english speaking/writing skills were quite low and that's understandable.
Kiani
Rep:
?
(Original post by leopard202)
I was at Nottingham Trent. In the working world you are judged by your portfolio and interpersonal skills, you are not allowed to be discriminated against. I had a few 'Asian' friends in my year they had no problem finding work, only one person whose english speaking/writing skills were quite low and that's understandable.
Yeah I guess so maybe my parents are over thinking it a bit.
So you have done you degree in architecture.
HollyUNI
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kiani)
Thanks
Architecture is a very male dominated career once you get into the workplace. In university it’s a lot different, there is a good mix of gender and ethnicities. The prejudice in the workplace is still an ongoing issue but it is changing. Don’t let this put you off at all because architecture is one of the most rewarding careers in my opinion. At the end of the day if you’re good at your job, you’re good at your job. You’d be surprised how many people don’t qualify as an architect with their degree either. Only about a fifth go on to become an architect. There’s lots of different things you can do with the degree.
hope this helps a little.
Kiani
Rep:
?
This is a great help. Thanku
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads