Gwil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Gwil
I am happy to note that you have got an English interview- good luck.

My son’s girlfriend is in her final year of English. Although sometimes challenging she loves it. She has had chance to write for the student magazine the Cherwell and her college magazine too. During her time at Oxford her English skills have blossomed to the point of wanting to become a professor of English there herself. In fact she was asking me for college recommendations for her masters!

Yes they are presented with a massive reading list at the start of the year but apparently nobody reads them all!

Just to say that not all undergraduate experiences are the same at Oxford. If you get in ( and I hope you do) go into it with an open mind, be aware that it will be very different to school and that it will feel like there is a high academic mountain to climb at first
Thank you so much for your encouragement; it means a lot! Your son's girlfriend's experience sounds wonderful - even though I'm sometimes daunted by all Oxford entails, it really does sound like an absolutely unique experience to expand and flourish as a writer and a scholar.

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
My son said one of the things he liked best about Oxford was the fact you could be yourself, no matter how weird. We were walking along a towpath, and the very next person to come along was a guy on a unicycle with a colander upside down on his head, like a kind of helmet. There were twigs sticking out of the holes. I’m not even kidding. Also he once walked through central Oxford in broad daylight wearing 18th century costume ( he was in a Gilbert and Sullivan play) . Nobody batted an eyelid.

Doubt you see many scenes like that in Bristol.
That's absolutely brilliant
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I also know someone who applied to a certain college because she was a James Joyce fan like the tutor. The college ended up paying for her to go to Dublin to research her hero.

She was my son’s college wife and when I came over to see him I asked her to join us for a meal but she had to write essays I instead.

Now though, she received help to study for a masters at a different college and now she is back at her own college doing her phd and writing for the college newspaper as well as editing the Cherwell and many other writing projects.
aciana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don’t like my course (I love the material but can’t stand the way we have to approach it);
Would you mind explaining that...how do you have to approach the material at Oxford and how might that be different at other universities? thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (270)
48.04%
No (65)
11.57%
I'm not old enough (227)
40.39%

Watched Threads