The Student Room Group

Can you swim?

Poll

Can you swim?

Quite recently a young teenage girl drowned in a river in my town, and about 18 months prior my cousin drowned in the same river. I think this highlights an important flaw in our society surrounding water safety and swimming.
I just want to know can you swim? What can you remember about water safety? Do you have any similar stories? And just to know your thoughts/comments on this.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope.
Original post by Bio 7
Nope.

Did you ever get swim lessons before? Or if not do you plan on learning?
Living on the coast, my parents deemed it important that I was able to swim.
I had my first lesson at 5, and was swimming soon after.
I am now a strong swimmer, as a teenager i got a certificate for swimming a mile. Doubt i could do that sort of distance now lol.
Yes, I’m an expert swimmer.
I couldn't swim well until I was like 9 and so my parents made me go to swimming lessons and I'm very grateful for that
No I can't even float :redface:.i want to learn swimming but i never had to opportunity to . Unfortunately I came to England when I was in year 6 so I missed our on the swimming lessons ( year 5 was the last year ) . Its a shame Because now I don't have the time to learn it even if I wanted to . And I think I would look a bit silly , a 17 year old in the pool who is in floats but the tiny toddler isn't and can swim perfectly :frown:. I don't want that embarrassment.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Karisa96
Living on the coast, my parents deemed it important that I was able to swim.
I had my first lesson at 5, and was swimming soon after.
I am now a strong swimmer, as a teenager i got a certificate for swimming a mile. Doubt i could do that sort of distance now lol.

Would you feel safe if you were placed in a bad situation requiring you to swim? I certainly wouldnt, it’s something I defo need to improve personally
(Also, impressive that you could? swim a mile)
Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT
No I can't even float :redface:.i want to learn swimming but i never had to opportunity to . Unfortunately I came to England when I was in year 6 so I missed our on the swimming lessons ( year 5 was the last year ) . Its a shame Because now I don't have the time to learn it even if I wanted to . And I think I would look a bit silly , a teenager girl in the pool who is in floats but the tiny toddler isn't :frown:. I don't want that embarrassment.

I think it'll be great for you to learn to swim regardless and you don't need floats to learn, just someone there who does know how to swim
Original post by itscourtchicks
Would you feel safe if you were placed in a bad situation requiring you to swim? I certainly wouldnt, it’s something I defo need to improve personally
(Also, impressive that you could? swim a mile)

Thanks Hun.
Yes I would feel safe if I was placed in a bad situation where i needed to swim.
I use to but I’ve forgotten how
no, my parents couldn't afford lessons. Only water safety I know is to relax and gently float??- it was on an advert. And wear float vests and use the float rings? Don't enter water unsupervised and if it's rough
i’ve had swimming lessons from a young age until year 7, but i’ve completely forgotten all my techniques and can only swim for like 1 minute lol. whenever someone asks the question i say “i can swim to survive” because if someone chucked me in the river i think my survival instincts would kick in and i would remember years of swimming lessons in a second, wouldn’t know for sure though 🤣
Reply 13
Original post by itscourtchicks
Did you ever get swim lessons before? Or if not do you plan on learning?

I planned on getting lessons but backed out and was adamant to not have them. At 20 I am not planning on swimming in my life.
Original post by Bio 7
I planned on getting lessons but backed out and was adamant to not have them. At 20 I am not planning on swimming in my life.

You're seriously missing out, if I were you I'd try and learn as soon as possible
Original post by ساره
I use to but I’ve forgotten how

Get back in that pool, and start practicing again lol.
I could swim in primary school, but I’m not sure how I would fare now.
Yes, I love to swim :cool:
Like a regular fish.
I can swim, usually at the swimming pool for about an hour a time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending