The Student Room Group

Can I talk about the Iranian 2017 earthquake for my personal statement?

In 2017 Kermanshah where I’m from had a terrible earthquake that killed many and their homes. I went to Iran for the Christmas holidays of that year and volunteered to help out with the Iranian Red Cross known as hilal ahmar. I do not have any evidence for doing this but can I write about this in my ps? For medicine/dentistry
It would be OK to mention, but you should have a purpose for doing so - the space is really tight and you need it for medicine/dentistry in particular. Your PS should be about why medicine/dentistry (and showing what you know about it) and what makes you a good candidate (i.e. your skills)
Original post by Interrobang
It would be OK to mention, but you should have a purpose for doing so - the space is really tight and you need it for medicine/dentistry in particular. Your PS should be about why medicine/dentistry (and showing what you know about it) and what makes you a good candidate (i.e. your skills)

That’s why I maybe thought I could use but not entirely sure because we went around and did some first said for some of the injured but I don’t know maybe it’s not a great idea
Original post by ArtmisKco
That’s why I maybe thought I could use but not entirely sure because we went around and did some first said for some of the injured but I don’t know maybe it’s not a great idea

It's not about knowing first aid - it's about the general skills that you need to be a doctor
It's not about knowing first aid - it's about the general skills that you need to be a doctor

Isn't the effort you've made to volunteer for related experiences important too, though?

I remember reading an article that provided an insight into how Oxbridge profs assess candidates. One of the things that was explicitly mentioned as making a difference in the case of two very similar candidates was the extra lengths one had gone to in volunteering at a hospital (etc) instead of just enjoying their holidays doing nothing. OP's experience here seems pretty relevant in line with this.
Original post by Palmyra
Isn't the effort you've made to volunteer for related experiences important too, though?

I remember reading an article that provided an insight into how Oxbridge profs assess candidates. One of the things that was explicitly mentioned as making a difference in the case of two very similar candidates was the extra lengths one had gone to in volunteering at a hospital (etc) instead of just enjoying their holidays doing nothing. OP's experience here seems pretty relevant in line with this.

Hospital experience is different tho - it's directly related to what you want to do. Volunteering is important, but it's about making sure that it is the right sort of thing. For example, volunteering in a care home is far more relevant than volunteering in a charity shop
Hospital experience is different tho - it's directly related to what you want to do. Volunteering is important, but it's about making sure that it is the right sort of thing. For example, volunteering in a care home is far more relevant than volunteering in a charity shop

Volunteering for the Red Crescent seems far closer to hospital experience than charity shop experience... I'd say it's a perfect supplement to hospital experience, in fact.

NB. I am only speaking from logic and what I've read, so I am definitely not an expert on this and in cases of conflict between our opinions I humbly defer to your position.
Original post by Palmyra
Volunteering for the Red Crescent seems far closer to hospital experience than charity shop experience... I'd say it's a perfect supplement to hospital experience, in fact.

NB. I am only speaking from logic and what I've read, so I am definitely not an expert on this and in cases of conflict between our opinions I humbly defer to your position.

I was pointing out that first aid isn't the sort of thing to talk about in your PS, as there is no expectation for you to know that sort of thing before you start the course. If you can talk about other skills that are more relevant then OK, but more recent and sustained experience would be better

Quick Reply

Latest