How to expand social circle? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So my Uni’s course just seems dead. The lecture has 200 people but seems weirdly gender segregated?? Like it’s so hard just normally talking to the opposite gender they literally seem awk?? And also everyone seems closed off and no one tries to talk to you and if you put in the effort they just seem closed off

Idk my first sem isn’t going as well as I hoped socially. I want to make more friends whether it’s in my course or not

Any advise? I got joining societies but some societies barely make meetings I wanna text the group being like let’s meet up but I’m scared they’ll find it lame cuz not everyone is nice on the group lol

Idk just wish we can talk normally and just cuz ur a diff gender doesn’t mean you need to be awk like chill it’s not thAT deep idk any help would do thank you
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my Uni’s course just seems dead. The lecture has 200 people but seems weirdly gender segregated?? Like it’s so hard just normally talking to the opposite gender they literally seem awk?? And also everyone seems closed off and no one tries to talk to you and if you put in the effort they just seem closed off

Idk my first sem isn’t going as well as I hoped socially. I want to make more friends whether it’s in my course or not

Any advise? I got joining societies but some societies barely make meetings I wanna text the group being like let’s meet up but I’m scared they’ll find it lame cuz not everyone is nice on the group lol

Idk just wish we can talk normally and just cuz ur a diff gender doesn’t mean you need to be awk like chill it’s not thAT deep idk any help would do thank you
lectures arent a social event, most people just sit with their mates they already know their.

It can be daunting but outside the lecture you can just say hi to some people on your course and try and get together outside of uni scheduled times, even if its just getting lunch before a lecture or a quick pint on a friday after your last bit of uni. once youve met up a few times it will be easier and more casual. Even if you just speak to one person on your course a couple times just try asking if their going out tonight and try and get an invite, its often easier then you realise but you just need put yourself out their,
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you a guy or a girl?

What uni and what course? Some courses can have predominantly one gender. Is there an even gender balance on the course?
St George's University of London
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi!

The social aspects of lectures are the moments just before they start and right after they finish, maybe try speaking to people about the lecture you've just had or if there's anything you've misunderstood try and get someone to explain to you? It can be daunting trying to 'break the ice' with new people, but a lot of people - especially those who are new to university - find this difficult, so you're not alone! Sometimes it just takes that one conversation to kickstart an entire group discussion and before you know it you'll start developing a friendship circle. University is all about coming out of your shell and placing yourself out of your comfort zone! With regards to your societies, maybe reach out to the presidents and have a word with them regarding the next event or ask them to hold a social with all the members of the society - its the easiest way to make friends with people with the same interests as you.

I hope this helps,

Mo
BSc | First Year MBBS
Official Rep for St George's, University of London
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (275)
48.16%
No (65)
11.38%
I'm not old enough (231)
40.46%

Watched Threads