The Student Room Group

Art and Design Foundation Diploma courses in London

I'm looking for full time, one year Art and Design Foundation Diploma courses in London. I've searched on What uni Which Uni and other places but can't find a definitive list. I'm thinking of applying to Kingston and UAL (I've heard you can only apply to one - either Central St Martins or Camberwell). I've heard that Goldsmiths do one. I live in west london and have missed my school uccas deadline because I didn't know which course to apply for. I changed my mind about doing an English degree as I'm more interested in doing a creative subject. My A levels are English, Media and Film and I've been predicted good grades but I'm not doing Art A level. I think I should do an Art Design Foundation Diploma - can anyone recommend one in London? Thanks
Original post by anightingale
I'm looking for full time, one year Art and Design Foundation Diploma courses in London. I've searched on What uni Which Uni and other places but can't find a definitive list. I'm thinking of applying to Kingston and UAL (I've heard you can only apply to one - either Central St Martins or Camberwell). I've heard that Goldsmiths do one. I live in west london and have missed my school uccas deadline because I didn't know which course to apply for. I changed my mind about doing an English degree as I'm more interested in doing a creative subject. My A levels are English, Media and Film and I've been predicted good grades but I'm not doing Art A level. I think I should do an Art Design Foundation Diploma - can anyone recommend one in London? Thanks

Goldsmiths don't offer a foundation diploma. All the universities offering FAD courses are listed here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684

There are other colleges in london that will also offer FAD (City & Guilds if you can afford it, other FE colleges like https://www.rutc.ac.uk/courses/art-and-design/155-level-3/98-art-and-design-pre-ba-level-3-foundation-diploma.html and similar will offer it). There's also the Royal Drawing School which has a foundation year (does not result in a qualification).
Thanks for that - really useful links! In a dilemma at the moment- everyone has already applied to go to uni and I'm still thinking about what to do!
Thanks for that - really useful links! In a dilemma at the moment- everyone has already applied to go to uni and I'm still thinking about what to do!

There’s still plenty of time to apply for degrees. Only 5% of courses closed on January 15 last year so even if you can’t make the deadline it’s worth putting in an application - worst case scenario you don’t get any offers you like in which case you’re in the same situation as if you didn’t apply through ucas.
True.Have been thinking about that, but heard somewhere that you can't do a UCCAS application twice in a year - once in January 2020 and again at the end of 2020. My plan is that doing a 1 year Foundation Art
True.Have been thinking about that, but heard somewhere that you can't do a UCCAS application twice in a year - once in January 2020 and again at the end of 2020. My plan is that doing a 1 year Foundation Art

You can only have one application each cycle. You can apply now/January for 2020 entry and apply again from September 2020 for 2021 start (as long as you aren’t holding a deferred offer through ucas already for a 2021 start).
Original post by PQ
Goldsmiths don't offer a foundation diploma. All the universities offering FAD courses are listed here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684

There are other colleges in london that will also offer FAD (City & Guilds if you can afford it, other FE colleges like https://www.rutc.ac.uk/courses/art-and-design/155-level-3/98-art-and-design-pre-ba-level-3-foundation-diploma.html and similar will offer it). There's also the Royal Drawing School which has a foundation year (does not result in a qualification).

goldsmiths don't offer a international foundation diploma????
Original post by iamwillhyun

They might offer international foundation year courses but they aren’t a recognised art and design qualification.
Original post by iamwillhyun

Hi there,

At Goldsmiths we offer integrated programmes for international students that include a portfolio building year and International Foundation Certificates. These include the BA Fine Art (Extension degree) which is a 4 year programme and the International Foundation Certificate in Design which is one year that leads to progression onto a 3 year degree at Goldsmiths (or another university). 🎨

These programmes are built specifically for international students, we unfortunately do not offer a classic foundation programme for home students.

-Miranda
The Royal Drawing School's Foundation Year is an Accredited Level 3/4 Diploma in Fine Art. The deadline to apply is 17th February 2020.

Hi there !
I’m really happy to read that your considering UAL for your Foundation diploma in art and design ! I completed my foundation year at Central Saint Martins (CSM) in 2017 , it was honestly the best year of my life creatively to date ! I loved it . Many of my friends also did their foundation year at Camberwell (CCW) and enjoyed their years greatly . I didn’t study in any other institutions your considering so I can’t speak on those , but definitely do read more on CSM/CCW ! I’ve attached a link to theIt foundation pages below -

CCW- https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/accessories-footwear-and-jewellery/pre-degree-courses/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design-camberwell

CSM-https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/3d-design-and-product-design/pre-degree-courses/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design-csm

All the best,
Memunatu - UAL Student rep

Hi there !
I’m really happy to read that your considering UAL for your Foundation diploma in art and design ! I completed my foundation year at Central Saint Martins (CSM) in 2017 , it was honestly the best year of my life creatively to date ! I loved it . Many of my friends also did their foundation year at Camberwell (CCW) and enjoyed their years greatly . I didn’t study in any other institutions your considering so I can’t speak on those , but definitely do read more on CSM/CCW ! I’ve attached a link to theIt foundation pages below -

CCW- https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/accessories-footwear-and-jewellery/pre-degree-courses/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design-camberwell

CSM- https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/3d-design-and-product-design/pre-degree-courses/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design-csm

All the best,
Memunatu - UAL Student rep
Original post by PQ

royal drawing school's foundation year is a level 3 qualification
Original post by jessicapanchi
royal drawing school's foundation year is a level 3 qualification

Only from this year - and only a "Prince's Trust Level 3 Diploma in Fine Art" which attracts less than half of the tariff points for a Pass compared to a UAL/BTEC/WJEC/ABC Art Foundation (32 points v 80 points for a Pass, 64 v 96 for a Merit and 96 v 112 for a Distinction). It's worth the equivalent in A levels to a C, CC or CCC depending on the grade (compared to DDD, CCC, BBC for a standard Foundation Diploma).

The RDS foundation is a good course but its value is not in the formal qualification it results in. Applicants need to be aware that anything less than a Distinction might not be sufficient for entry onto a degree course without taking other qualifications like A levels either before or after the Foundation year.
Original post by PQ
Only from this year - and only a "Prince's Trust Level 3 Diploma in Fine Art" which attracts less than half of the tariff points for a Pass compared to a UAL/BTEC/WJEC/ABC Art Foundation (32 points v 80 points for a Pass, 64 v 96 for a Merit and 96 v 112 for a Distinction). It's worth the equivalent in A levels to a C, CC or CCC depending on the grade (compared to DDD, CCC, BBC for a standard Foundation Diploma).

The RDS foundation is a good course but its value is not in the formal qualification it results in. Applicants need to be aware that anything less than a Distinction might not be sufficient for entry onto a degree course without taking other qualifications like A levels either before or after the Foundation year.

The Royal Drawing School's Foundation Year is a level 3 and level 4 for Diploma in Fine Art accredited by the Prince’s Trust in collaboration with the Royal Drawing School. It is a unique course in that it is only provided by the Royal Drawing School.

Most students will follow the level 4 programme which is a higher level qualification than level 3. The course is highly regarded by Arts school with students being offed places at top instructions such as the Ruskin, Glasgow School of Art, Royal Academy of the Hague, St Martins, Camberwell and many more.

Most art schools make offers based on the portfolios they see at interview and on the recommendation of a academic reference.
Original post by zeeofthebee
The Royal Drawing School's Foundation Year is a level 3 and level 4 for Diploma in Fine Art accredited by the Prince’s Trust in collaboration with the Royal Drawing School. It is a unique course in that it is only provided by the Royal Drawing School.

Most students will follow the level 4 programme which is a higher level qualification than level 3. The course is highly regarded by Arts school with students being offed places at top instructions such as the Ruskin, Glasgow School of Art, Royal Academy of the Hague, St Martins, Camberwell and many more.

Most art schools make offers based on the portfolios they see at interview and on the recommendation of a academic reference.

That's nice - but art schools DO require a standard level of qualifications that are not met by the RDS foundation alone. An applicant without other level 3 qualifications or equivalent experience isn't going to meet that standard ACADEMIC requirements for entry onto a degree course. Entry onto an art and design degree course is based on a combination of ACADEMIC requirements and a portfolio of work.
Hi, I know this is an old post but this may be helpful to someone else! There are 2 fantastic foundation courses at Kensington

Quick Reply

Latest