The Student Room Group

complianing about supervisor

I have complained bout this before my supervisor has not helped me at all, and I am really struggling with the results analysis because she has not taught me how to use the website. As our presentations are two weeks way, but I have a meeting with her on Monday, shall I ask her again for help then if she doesn't help go to the module head or should I go to the module head right now to get help then do my results over the weekend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go with an Open mind on Monday........if not helpful then request appointment with Module leader and explain your situation.....Good Luck
Original post by Anonymous
I have complained bout this before my supervisor has not helped me at all, and I am really struggling with the results analysis because she has not taught me how to use the website. As our presentations are two weeks way, but I have a meeting with her on Monday, shall I ask her again for help then if she doesn't help go to the module head or should I go to the module head right now to get help then do my results over the weekend?

Lots of missing context here, what kind of project is this, how is it assessed, what course are you on.

"Teaching someone how to use a web site" really does not sound like the kind of thing I would expect a project supervisor to do BTW. Asking for generic "help" also tends not to go down well at the final year project level - if that is what we are discussing. What you need to be doing is making progress yourself, occasionally getting stuck on specific technical points and asking for pointers on how to handle those. Thats what generates a useful dialog with a supervisor.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Lots of missing context here, what kind of project is this, how is it assessed, what course are you on.

"Teaching someone how to use a web site" really does not sound like the kind of thing I would expect a project supervisor to do BTW. Asking for generic "help" also tends not to go down well at the final year project level - if that is what we are discussing. What you need to be doing is making progress yourself, occasionally getting stuck on specific technical points and asking for pointers on how to handle those. Thats what generates a useful dialog with a supervisor.

PRSOM

'Complaining' isn't the way forward here. Doing the most you can by yourself, using your own initiative and then approaching your supervisor with specific questions on where you've got stuck is what your supervisor will be expecting. As forr 'she has not taught me how to use the website', then how about you set about trying to work it out for yourself? I'm sure you can get somewhere with it.
you can learn how to use 99% of websites/programmes online, sounds like you're expecting too much from your supervisor
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
you can learn how to use 99% of websites/programmes online, sounds like you're expecting too much from your supervisor

the way they explained the website online is complicated even on YouTube videos, obviously I tried to find out on the internet first before asking her, also my friends supervisor basically spoon fed her on exactly what to do, so asking my supervisor for a bit of help in general is definitely not asking for too much. She didn't even tell me what the website does she just told me to make an account and basically figure the rest out for myself.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
PRSOM

'Complaining' isn't the way forward here. Doing the most you can by yourself, using your own initiative and then approaching your supervisor with specific questions on where you've got stuck is what your supervisor will be expecting. As forr 'she has not taught me how to use the website', then how about you set about trying to work it out for yourself? I'm sure you can get somewhere with it.

Thanks but i did figure out most of it myself but i had trouble on figuring out the significance of the data which she did not reply to so had to ask my friend who is doing a placement year with a lecturer who also uses the website
Reply 7
Original post by grKiro
Go with an Open mind on Monday........if not helpful then request appointment with Module leader and explain your situation.....Good Luck

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Wednesday

its a dissertation and I do biomed. I figured most of it out myself which took time which is why I am behind. but she didn't help me when I asked her specific questions on the data analysis either
the way they explained the website online is complicated even on YouTube videos, obviously I tried to find out on the internet first before asking her, also my friends supervisor basically spoon fed her on exactly what to do, so asking my supervisor for a bit of help in general is definitely not asking for too much. She didn't even tell me what the website does she just told me to make an account and basically figure the rest out for myself.

which is perfectly reasonable behaviour for a supervisor, this website is clearly appropriate for your course and therefore something you should be able to figure out

what another supervisor did is not relevant
which is perfectly reasonable behaviour for a supervisor, this website is clearly appropriate for your course and therefore something you should be able to figure out

what another supervisor did is not relevant

but I have never used this website before so what is the point of having a supervisor if she doesn't help. Also I did figure out most of it but when I ask her questions about the significance and the P value and she doesn't reply for three weeks even though she has seen my email is a problem. Furthermore, it isn't just about one lecturer every lecturer has helped their students with he data generation with this website and other websites and I didn't even get a basic brief on what this website is for, that's not reasonable of a supervisor.
Thanks but i did figure out most of it myself but i had trouble on figuring out the significance of the data which she did not reply to so had to ask my friend who is doing a placement year with a lecturer who also uses the website

One thing to consider is that your lecturer may not know how to use it themselves. I had to take an undergrad course in grad school to satisfy the admissions committee. The 'adjunct faculty' [hired for the course] lecturer was assigning homework & collecting it, but not returning it. In grad courses here, homework is not usually assigned - but ..OK, it's an undergrad course - so i'll do the homework. In the 3rd set of homework, i hit one i couldn't do. Now i'm a grad student - in a year, i'll be qualified to TEACH this course. I asked the lecturer how to do the problem - [i.e. asked him to put it on the board]. I got about 30 minutes of foolishness out of him by asking him to put it on the board about 10 times. He never did do so. The 'bottom line' (which is figured out the second time i asked him to do it), was that HE couldn't do the problem either - but wasn't man enough to admit it. Nobody else in the class (they were all undergraduates) figured out what was going on. I wandered down to campus a few days later, and played my audio tape for the dean. They 'declined to extend his contract for the next semester'. I.E. he was fired. Good Riddance!! You may have a similar situation before you. Best of luck!!
but I have never used this website before so what is the point of having a supervisor if she doesn't help. Also I did figure out most of it but when I ask her questions about the significance and the P value and she doesn't reply for three weeks even though she has seen my email is a problem. Furthermore, it isn't just about one lecturer every lecturer has helped their students with he data generation with this website and other websites and I didn't even get a basic brief on what this website is for, that's not reasonable of a supervisor.

supervising undergrads is one of the least important roles of lecturers, they don't always have time to answer your questions immediately ... if all your peers have been given so much instruction why not just ask one of them?

Which website are you finding so hard to use?
supervising undergrads is one of the least important roles of lecturers, they don't always have time to answer your questions immediately ... if all your peers have been given so much instruction why not just ask one of them?

I have but most the one who got a lot of help doesn't even come in to uni, she just comes for the meeting and goes straight home. I have asked people for help but I can't just keep asking them. Also if supervising isn't her priority then why dose she take on so many students? Its not fair as because 30%of my final grade goes down the drain just because she can't be bothered to help. It doesn't effect her, also if I do get a bad grade at least they can't say why didn't you complain before.
I have but most the one who got a lot of help doesn't even come in to uni, she just comes for the meeting and goes straight home. I have asked people for help but I can't just keep asking them. Also if supervising isn't her priority then why dose she take on so many students? Its not fair as because 30%of my final grade goes down the drain just because she can't be bothered to help. It doesn't effect her, also if I do get a bad grade at least they can't say why didn't you complain before.

I can understand you not wanting to 'bother' your peers (as it's not their job to teach you after all).

You still haven't told us which website you're trying to use. Someone here may be able to point you in the right direction if you tell us.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You still haven't told us which website you're trying to use. Someone here may be able to point you in the right direction if you tell us.

Bet it's something statistical.
TBH For my first attempt at an HND graded project (mini dissertation) I misunderstood the role of my supervisor and basically expected to be spoon fed what to do and have all my questions answered, it did NOT work out that way and I tanked it and had to redo it next year. I fared far better as i worked a lot more independently, if i didn't know something i found a lecturer that did, i'd email and specifically ask for an appointment to discuss a matter, or just turn up at their office and introduce myself...I had maybe 3 meetings with my supervisor (same one) and the relationship was totally different. my questions (and his) were all more focused on issues a supervisor could help with, rather than 'everything'
Original post by StriderHort
TBH For my first attempt at an HND graded project (mini dissertation) I misunderstood the role of my supervisor an d basically expected to be spoon fed what to do and have all my questions answered, it did NOT work out that way and I tanked it and had to redo it next year. I fared far better as i worked a lot more independently, if i didn't know something i found a lecturer that did, i'd email and specifically ask for an appointment to discuss a matter, or just turn up at their office and introduce myself...I had maybe 3 meetings with my supervisor (same one) and the relationship was totally different. my questions (and his) were all more focused on issues a supervisor could help with, rather than 'everything'

The problem with my supervisor is I am not expecting to be spoon fed but just a little bit of guidence. Also my supervisor doe not like people just turning up to her office, i did that once and it did not go down well. Also you can only ask for help from her during the meetings, so if I email her a specific question she will look at the email and not bother to reply but instead tell me the answer in the next meeting. Its basically like I have to wait a week just to get answers from her which is why I am so behind in the data analysis. Also I met with her on Monday and when I told her I don't understand how to do this she did not explain it very well like she didn't know what was gong on herself. Also she also the way she told me to compare the data is impossible because the data she told me to compare my data to does not exist on the website or at all.
The problem with my supervisor is I am not expecting to be spoon fed but just a little bit of guidence. Also my supervisor doe not like people just turning up to her office, i did that once and it did not go down well. Also you can only ask for help from her during the meetings, so if I email her a specific question she will look at the email and not bother to reply but instead tell me the answer in the next meeting. Its basically like I have to wait a week just to get answers from her which is why I am so behind in the data analysis. Also I met with her on Monday and when I told her I don't understand how to do this she did not explain it very well like she didn't know what was gong on herself. Also she also the way she told me to compare the data is impossible because the data she told me to compare my data to does not exist on the website or at all.

No, I mean I would go to DIFFERENT members of staff, who actually knew about the thing I wanted to know. When I had issues working with my data I went to someone who taught data handling.

Like my supervisor only really gave me feedback that the project was viable and some obv mistakes in my methodology. If i wanted to know something about what was or wasn't acceptable I ask them...if i wanted anything else i'd ask elsewhere. My super had 30 odd projects to supervise, normal lecture duties and was also head of the year....tbh the idea that they had time to get back to daily emails just wasn't realistic. (And i saw a lot of students, including me 1st time, get this dead wrong)

Quick Reply

Latest