The Student Room Group

Law Uni

Hi,

I am currently studding Music, Geography and Drama at sixth form, all of which have appeared on the lists of recommended subjects for the Law Degree. Has anyone else found this anddoes anyone understand why this is?
Original post by Bexella
Hi,

I am currently studding Music, Geography and Drama at sixth form, all of which have appeared on the lists of recommended subjects for the Law Degree. Has anyone else found this anddoes anyone understand why this is?

Sorry but this doesn't actually make any sense. What exactly are you asking here?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Sorry but this doesn't actually make any sense. What exactly are you asking here?

I was told that taking Music, Drama and Geography was good and desired by uni's to take a Law Degree, I was wondering if anyone knew why they were desired?
Original post by Bexella
I was told that taking Music, Drama and Geography was good and desired by uni's to take a Law Degree, I was wondering if anyone knew why they were desired?

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. Music, Drama and Geography are not particularly good and desired subjects for a Law degree although they are accepted A levels at most unis.

No particular subjects are required for a Law degree, (although some like at least one essay writing subject & some unis like LSE & Sheffield don't list Drama on their list of acceptable A levels) which is why almost any will be considered acceptable.

So although your subjects are ok, they are not the best combination you could have chosen.
Universities have a list of preferred subjects that they accept and consider to have sufficient academic content. Geography and Music are on the lists of UCL, Birmingham and Sheffield. Drama appears to be on all but under Drama and Theatre studies at Sheffield. Universities require 2 subjects from their list and the 3rd can be any subjects other than critical thinking or general studies. The reason these subjects are acceptable is that the universities consider them to be seriously academic with I assume written papers in addition to practical exams.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities have a list of preferred subjects that they accept and consider to have sufficient academic content. Geography and Music are on the lists of UCL, Birmingham and Sheffield. Drama appears to be on all but under Drama and Theatre studies at Sheffield. Universities require 2 subjects from their list and the 3rd can be any subjects other than critical thinking or general studies. The reason these subjects are acceptable is that the universities consider them to be seriously academic with I assume written papers in addition to practical exams.

Ok thank you x
Just to help you further here is Birmingham's preferred list for Law

Typical offer:AAA

General Studies: General Studies is not accepted but a good performance may be taken into account if you fail to meet the conditions of the offer.
Preferred subjects:
We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development
We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking). If you are not studying an A level combination that includes two of these subjects, please contact the Law Schoo
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Just to help you further here is Birmingham's preferred list for Law

Typical offer:AAA

General Studies: General Studies is not accepted but a good performance may be taken into account if you fail to meet the conditions of the offer.
Preferred subjects:
We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development
We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking). If you are not studying an A level combination that includes two of these subjects, please contact the Law Schoo

Fab thank you, you are a life saver

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending