The Student Room Group

Struggling as a first year uni student .

Hi, I came across this after reading other people’s struggles with university. I am currently a first year student doing Criminology and Sociology however I’m really struggling , these past few months have been a blur, I feel as if I have learnt nothing, gone to seminars/ lectures coming out more confused than ever. It’s really impacting my mental wellbeing and is making me panic I have assessments which are approaching and I don’t have a clue what to do. I have been so ill this week and just feel all over the place. I don’t feel like seeing friends either. What should I do?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Max Marziano
Hi, I came across this after reading other people’s struggles with university. I am currently a first year student doing Criminology and Sociology however I’m really struggling , these past few months have been a blur, I feel as if I have learnt nothing, gone to seminars/ lectures coming out more confused than ever. It’s really impacting my mental wellbeing and is making me panic I have assessments which are approaching and I don’t have a clue what to do. I have been so ill this week and just feel all over the place. I don’t feel like seeing friends either. What should I do?

Have you spoken to your tutor about your academic worries? Have you contacted Student Wellbeing about your MH? These are really positive first steps you could take to making things better. People want to help you at uni, and want you to succeed, but they can only do this if you come forward to say that you're struggling a bit with things. You're not the only one who'll be feeling like this - the first term is always difficult for any student.

Get some help and advice to make your life a bit easier. :smile:
Yes I have taken these steps. Thank you for your comment means a lot.
Reply 3
Original post by Max Marziano

Go and see student services and get access to their advice
I'm abit like you actually then I realised it was cos I didn't put in the effort. I barely know anything about this module of course not I didn't study it enough to. Am confused with the a assignment no chit I didn't study enough and didn't ask for help. Etc etc it's easy to blame everyone but yourself I thought about the mh card but again it was cos not studying got me anxious etc not getting anxious stopped me from studying
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
don't panic, cos this can be fixed. RC and the others are right

ask for the help, it is there for ye, and exactly for these circumstances

slow down, don't rush yeself, and go speak to someone. It'll all settle in the end
Hey,

I'm currently retaking 2 modules from my first year (i'm doing psychology) so this is technically my second year at uni and trust me it's really common to feel like that at the start so don't worry you're completely not alone in that.

The way your taught and the work you have to do etc is really different to what 6th form/college is like. Nothing really prepared me but once you get into the swing of things it can get easier and it takes a few assignments and pieces of coursework to get used to it all and then getting used to different lecturers styles takes time as well, so don't rush yourself too much into thinking you should've got the hang of it by now because it took me and my friends most of first year just figuring out everything.

It's a big change and personally I struggled with my well being too but I went to student services for some appointments and they were good at calming me down, giving me some tips and helped me with managing my time and things like that, so maybe try and arrange a meeting with support at your uni. Also maybe talking about it with your friends could help too because it's pretty likely that they're feeling the same and sometimes it's good to know that you're not the only one feeling lost and confused. Definitely have a chat with your tutors about it as they might be able to give some good advice about deadlines and potentially extending them if you feel like you need to.

Honestly it's totally normal to feel like this and most students will be like this at the start and even throughout your course you might feel a bit lost but talking about it with people, reaching out to your tutors and asking questions about your modules will be really helpful and just see how things go. University is just a lot of new things all at once so it's definitely overwhelming but the more involved you get, the more things you do, the quicker and easier it'll be to settle in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest