London Bridge Cordoned After Reports of Gunfire Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The poor people killed in this attack ( At least the police shot the ******* who did it though.
With that being said i rather doubt this will cow any Londoners. They went through exponentially worse during the troubles and a few couple of ******s with kitchenware is a poor mans substitute for the threat the IRA posed.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Absolutely.

I expect the IOPC will be investigating these brave officers for years to come, though....
yes they should have explained his rights and waited for a lawyer to arrive.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JanusGodofDoors)
Extraordinarily courageous action by members of the public, and of course the police responders. Hats off to all of them, and gratitude for the bravery and dedication of the police officers who put their lives on the line every day to keep the rest of us safe.
the civilians who stepped in and risked their lives should be given the George Cross.

http://www.gcrauctions.com/sale234/z...dal700x725.jpg
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Not that one is overly sad about the police shooting him but i wonder how the two highlighted ones are going to be squared at the inquest?
Without difficulty. The video I saw has people jumping all over him and bringing him to the floor, then, as they are closely engaged, they realise he is wearing a suicide vest and get out quick. The policeman then shoots him. I cannot see how he could do otherwise if he thought there was a danger of him setting off the bomb (which we all now know was fake). with all those people including himself close.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
one of the brave civilians was armed with a Narwhal tusk....

Spoiler:
Show

thelocalkid
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Learn selfdefense fellas. You never know if you could save that selfdefense with people or even yourself one day. Once i read article newspaper that says, in Finland every young person has to learn the army tactical or something like that in order if the country becomes under threat. Then all the people know the basic thing in selfdefense. I think it's time UK to have that as well and train their youngsters so that they can protect themselves rather than showing their back which leads to more tragedy.
lkjlkj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
And checked if he was a self-harmer?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-reveal.html
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Bizarre.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...or-attack.html
Allie4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
well.... a little reassuring to see that prison has changed him i guess

but i still can't call a murderer a hero. shame he couldn't have.... stopped himself from killing that innocent girl
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
The poor people killed in this attack ( At least the police shot the ******* who did it though.
With that being said i rather doubt this will cow any Londoners. They went through exponentially worse during the troubles and a few couple of ******s with kitchenware is a poor mans substitute for the threat the IRA posed.
Very different manifestation. The IRA were a political entity, and whilst evil, at least you could comprehend their objectives. What negotiating could even be possible with those who scream "Allahu Akbar" ?

The levels of barbarity of these guys is not even understandable, and for me that is terrifying.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
True, growing up with the ever present threat of IRA bombings seems like a long distant past but back then life just went on.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by the bear)
one of the brave civilians was armed with a Narwhal tusk....
He will have a whale of a time in the inevitable media interviews.

This bearded killer was a convicted terrorist, released on licence last December and wearing a tag, who was attending a conference on prisoner rehabilitation as a guest. Can you believe that? I suspect the parole authorities may be questioned by the puiblic. Unfortunately the appeal court judges who changed his sentence on appeal from an indeterminate one with a minimum of eight years to a sixteen year one won't be.
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Without difficulty. The video I saw has people jumping all over him and bringing him to the floor, then, as they are closely engaged, they realise he is wearing a suicide vest and get out quick. The policeman then shoots him. I cannot see how he could do otherwise if he thought there was a danger of him setting off the bomb (which we all now know was fake). with all those people including himself close.
I'd like to see the vest that justified killing him, they said the same about JCM. We have only the police's word for it, right?
Last edited by z-hog; 6 days ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
This is scary.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
When will we learn? How many times is this going to happen before we start locking people up and throwing away the key!? I am absolutely sick to death of every time there is an incident like this finding out they were already known to police. It’s an absolute disgrace.
DR.DOOM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Looks like the FBI and the British gov have something in common, failing to stop those that are clearly going to do something in the future
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

This bearded killer was a convicted terrorist, released on licence last December and wearing a tag, who was attending a conference on prisoner rehabilitation as a guest. Can you believe that? I suspect the parole authorities may be questioned by the puiblic. Unfortunately the appeal court judges who changed his sentence on appeal from an indeterminate one with a minimum of eight years to a sixteen year one won't be.
His sentence was increased to 16 yrs but he was released after 6? Is that right?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

This was just at the moment the IPP was abolished (for good reason). He must have been one of the very last to get one. He was sentenced on 9th February 2012. That was the very day the Government announced that IPPs were to be abolished. It is very understandable why the Court of Appeal changed a failed sentence to something else, although that was not the technical reason for the decision.

If the IPP had been allowed to continue, he would still have been in Fishmonger's Hall, because this would have been another Warboys case. He was part of a gang charged with a bomb plot in central London. He pleaded guilty to lesser charges and the Crown accepted because he would get an IPP. But, as with Warboys, when it came to releasing him, the Parole Board would have only been able to look at the risk of him reoffending based on what he was convicted for. He, like Worboys, would have been a model prisoner (hence the Fishmonger's Hall invite) and would still have been let out after 8 years (he was arrested in 2010 so the dates work for a 16 year determinate; 8 year IPP sentence).

If anyone wants to read about his previous offences and sentence, they are here.

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Crim/2013/468.html
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
His sentence was increased to 16 yrs but he was released after 6? Is that right?
No.

An 8 year IPP and a 16 year determinate sentence have the same custody period; 8 years. He was arrested on 20 December 2010 and released in December 2018.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
No.

An 8 year IPP and a 16 year determinate sentence have the same custody period; 8 years. He was arrested on 20 December 2010 and released in December 2018.
Oh right. I haven't seen any real details of what he did exactly to get the original sentence.

Another quick query - if he was on a tag, would that mean he must have had some kind of permission from someone (probation?) to visit the Cambridge conference?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (96)
18.93%
Labour (254)
50.1%
Liberal Democrats (66)
13.02%
Green Party (30)
5.92%
Brexit Party (7)
1.38%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.59%
SNP (10)
1.97%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.59%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.18%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)