umaiyyahc1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Can someone explain what he says? I just don't understand his concept!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where? The bloke is a publication machine and says lots of things
Palmyra
Report 1 week ago
He's one of the better theologists in terms of oratory skills in my opinion

As jolly good fellow mentioned, he says a lot of things so you'll have to be more specific
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I assume this is about his formulation of the Kalam cosmological argument which he can't shut up about and I also assume it's taught in RS.
umaiyyahc1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
He's one of the better theologists in terms of oratory skills in my opinion

As jolly good fellow mentioned, he says a lot of things so you'll have to be more specific
His concept of infinity in the cosmological argument
umaiyyahc1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
I assume this is about his formulation of the Kalam cosmological argument which he can't shut up about and I also assume it's taught in RS.
Yes! All your assumptions are right. But any explanation, coz it makes no sense to me
_gracecharlie
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I do philosophy A-level and we looked briefly at his interpretation of the Kalam argument. He rejects infinite regress (a foundation of the Kalam argument) on various grounds including the seeming paradoxes of an actual (existing in real life) infinity citing mathematical puzzles like:

the Hilbert's Hotel dilemma
the impossibility of creating an infinity by successive addition: if you keeping adding finite quantities you never reach infinity
infinities can't be traversed: since infinity is never ending, if the past is in an infinite regress it would be impossible to 'finish' the past and arrive in the present

however opponents would say George Cantor's work in mathematical set theory resolves these issues

(hopefully this helps and I apologise if there are any mistakes in this I only studied him for one lesson so I'm by no means an expert)
Last edited by _gracecharlie; 5 days ago
umaiyyahc1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by _gracecharlie)
I do philosophy A-level and we looked briefly at his interpretation of the Kalam argument. He rejects infinite regress (a foundation of the Kalam argument) on various grounds including the seeming paradoxes of an actual (existing in real life) infinity citing mathematical puzzles like:

the Hilbert's Hotel dilemma
the impossibility of creating an infinity by successive addition: if you keeping adding finite quantities you never reach infinity
infinities can't be traversed: since infinity is never ending, if the past is in an infinite regress it would be impossible to 'finish' the past and arrive in the present

however opponents would say George Cantor's work in mathematical set theory resolves these issues

(hopefully this helps and I apologise if there are any mistakes in this I only studied him for one lesson so I'm by no means an expert)
Thank you! It makes a little more sense!
_gracecharlie
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by umaiyyahc1)
Thank you! It makes a little more sense!
Just to clarify the rejection of infinite regress is a foundation of the Kalam argument NOT infinite regress is a foundation of the Kalam argument..I didn't word that very clearly
umaiyyahc1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by _gracecharlie)
Just to clarify the rejection of infinite regress is a foundation of the Kalam argument NOT infinite regress is a foundation of the Kalam argument..I didn't word that very clearly
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.77%
Labour (553)
51.63%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.45%
Green Party (59)
5.51%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)