The Student Room Group

Why are some people so self righteous?

So recently in my school we’ve applied for universities. Many of my friends have received interviews for Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc. I didn’t even think about applying as none of them offer a course I wanted to take. As a Scottish student, I applied for only Scottish universities. I applied to Dundee, Glasgow school of art, Glasgow Caledonian and Abertay. My teachers say I would have had an extremely high chance of getting into whichever course I wanted. However, I love art and video games, movies, television. I chose to apply to animation, illustration, VFX courses. I am very happy with my decisions and am not rethinking my choices.

Here’s the thing. I am great at writing, maths, languages, science, whatnot. None of my teachers seemed content with the fact I was choosing to throw this all away for an art degree. I really don't care. I didn’t understand why they were so sceptical, but then I learned more about how people treat certain courses, especially since I attended an independent school. My friends are always comparing uni rankings and that cr*p, they seem to think that unless you aspire of going to Oxford, you’re beneath them. I told everyone I applied to art courses and they all started saying “I know you’ll get in, your so smart, it’s not really difficult at all since it’s an arts course and the uni isn’t that good”. Now, I’m able to deal with **** talk, but this is an omnipresent attitude towards certain universities. My bests friend wants to go to Queen Margaret and he receives the same hate for his choices too.

I’m really sick of this. I get they want to go to certain unis, and I’m happy for them, but just why do you have to put other people down? I can’t wait until I start university, because I will finally be free from this Infantile berating. All over TSR I see uni rankings, and my dream university is always close to the bottom. I get it, it doesn’t suit your ideals, but could you stop making fun of other people for thinking getting in is actually a big deal? I want to get in and work hard because I really don’t want to end up unhappy like my parents currently are. Is it wrong for wanting to better myself?
Don't worry. :smile:
Some people are uni snobs or just have lousy personalities.

You don't need their advice or approval to decide what courses are right for you.
It's your future and your adult life.
They don't deserve your time, don't give them any.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Teachers only care about students going to reputable uni so they can boast to prospective students (and their parents who hold their own bias) to apply to their schools. Honestly, do what makes you happy.
brainwashing and insecurity. some people are brainwashed into believing you won't ever be truly accepted in life unless you live a certain way (aka be middle or upper class) go to the best schools, have the best demeanour and make a lot of money

i mean there is a lot of truth in it too. the world tends to bend over and kiss the ass of the elite whilst looking their noses down at the lower class but thats where insecurity comes into it. only people who are truly insecure are scared of the prospect of being looked down upon. if you truly don't give a fu ck then ignore these wannabe snobs and do you.
hmm, i think you've taking a stance against them as a self-defence mechanism. I honestly think they are maybe just worried you wont get the future you deserve out of these degrees and there is more than enough evidence to agree with them. However if you excel in the Arts then you will do just fine.

Truth is, the tech art industry is going through an extremely hard time at the moment and there is not much room for wiggle. Outsourcing art has become a huge issue for local creators and jobs security tends to be quite an issue. There is also a huge amount of Art hobbyists out there that would leap at the chance to get paid to do what they love.

It is not the most secure and easy career path to go down, and tbh you do not need to look far to discover this. Speak to any number of people in the Tech Art industry and quite a lot of them will show you their war wounds.

I am by no means try to sway you. Just a warning that just because you do "something you love" does not mean it'll all be peaches and gravy.

Quick Reply

Latest