My mum has been diagnosed with lupus. Will she live long? Watch

bulbasaur55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
As the question says, my mum has recently been diagnosed with lupus and i’ve read some things about it on the internet, and now i’m terrified. I know most people with lupus live on, but i’m absolutely terrified my mum will leave me. Is lupus immediately life threatening, or can i be assured it’s not a big deal?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
As the question says, my mum has recently been diagnosed with lupus and i’ve read some things about it on the internet, and now i’m terrified. I know most people with lupus live on, but i’m absolutely terrified my mum will leave me. Is lupus immediately life threatening, or can i be assured it’s not a big deal?
Hi,

SLE* is "famous" amongst doctors for the huge variety of ways which it can present and affect patients so there isn't a set formula for the way your mum will experience it. It is a significant medical condition but it can be managed successfully, and some patients find that once they start their treatment course many of their symptoms resolve or become greatly improved.

I think your concern is entirely understandable, but the internet isn't always the best place to look for answers about something as variable as SLE so you may just end up worrying yourself. Maybe next time your mum has a hospital appointment you can accompany her and speak with her rheumatologist? The rheumatologist will be fully aware of the specifics of your mum's history so will be able to give you a better answer than you're likely to find on the internet

*I'm assuming this is the type of lupus your mum has.
Surnia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm sorry to hear this! Honestly, the best thing is to get off the internet and talk to your mum about it. Also see how you can help her if any symptoms flare up; joint pain and tiredness are common, but I have known 1 person with lupus, she worked part-time and did a 15 mile sponsored walk for a lupus charity! Bear with your mum if she is moody or emotional, it will take time for the diagnosis to sink in. Do you have other family members or neighbours who could help out if needed? If you are studying, is there a teacher you could confide in, so they know the situation if you are not coping?

Lupus can affect everyone differently, but there are ways to manage it and with treatment the vast majority of people live a normal lifespan. There are also charities that can provide support and advice; LUPUS UK is one, so maybe you and your mum could contact them. Take care!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (17)
20.99%
Labour (41)
50.62%
Liberal Democrats (6)
7.41%
Green Party (7)
8.64%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
3.7%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (1)
1.23%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)