Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have been at university since September and I’m really struggling here. I am really intense homesickness, even though I go home most weekends. I’m about 2 and a half hours away by train. If I don’t go home for 2 weeks I really struggle and start to want to drop out even more. I’m doing a psychology degree and don’t like doing the coursework about reading research papers and writing about them AT ALL. I’m panicking about next year and how much harder it’s all going to get- maybe I’m just mentally in a bad place and now isn’t the time for me?

Issue is- i want to do psychology as a career! I want to be some kind of therapist and I’m freaking out about what my options are if I did leah uni. I feel like a failure. I’m doing my dream degree at my dream uni but I miss my home horribly and it’s only going to get harder from here. I don’t want to go to counselling because that isn’t going to change how I feel about the degree. Does anyone have any advice? I just haven’t been happy since I’ve been here, firstly because of home sickness and now because of homesickness and not liking my coursework
NotTellingBitch
Badges: 3
Report 4 months ago
I do recommend at least talking to a counsellor if your university has someone, since that'll probably give you some ways to help with the homesickness. When you're feeling awful about something, that tends to affect how you feel about everything else. It's hard to be enthusiastic when you feel like ****; maybe you'll be more able to apply yourself to your studies with some help. If it doesn't help, at least you'll be less unhappy.

Are you struggling with adjusting to academic/technical texts? If a paper looks intimidating or you're struggling with the language, it's very hard to get invested in it. Can you talk to student support about better ways to read and understand journal papers? Taking passages that are giving you trouble along to office hours might also help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by NotTelling*****)
I do recommend at least talking to a counsellor if your university has someone, since that'll probably give you some ways to help with the homesickness. When you're feeling awful about something, that tends to affect how you feel about everything else. It's hard to be enthusiastic when you feel like ****; maybe you'll be more able to apply yourself to your studies with some help. If it doesn't help, at least you'll be less unhappy.

Are you struggling with adjusting to academic/technical texts? If a paper looks intimidating or you're struggling with the language, it's very hard to get invested in it. Can you talk to student support about better ways to read and understand journal papers? Taking passages that are giving you trouble along to office hours might also help.
I’m receiving help with coursework but I just hate the coursework, I don’t enjoy doing it at all. I just feel under too much pressure here. Thing is, I am (relatively) academic so I’d probably pass my end of year exam but I can’t keep doing a degree just for the sake of having one. I feel like having a degree in psychology is my only way of getting into it. I’m just so homesick, I want to go home all the time. It’s tough because I don’t want to quit too early but I don’t know if uni will ever be for me. I think I’ve just had enough of being under academic pressure, I just don’t want to be stressed anymore.
Anonymous #1
Maybe if I wasn’t struggling as much with the degree I’d be less homesick and I’d be able to cope. But I’m not enjoying my time here at all. I know I could things like join clubs and go to a counsellor, but it won’t change the fact that I hate doing the coursework. And yeah, maybe once this bit of coursework passes that I hate, maybe I’ll start to feel better. But I’ve still got 6 more bits to do between now and March. I just feel like this is too much pressure. I want to be doing something that I don’t dread, and I dread the coursework. Even if I knew how to do it, I still wouldn’t like it. I just want to be at home
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Your a trainee psychologist.

Try to look at your problems objectively as a psychologist.
Mindfulness and self reflection spring to mind.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by adam271)
Your a trainee psychologist.

Try to look at your problems objectively as a psychologist.
Mindfulness and self reflection spring to mind.
How do you mean??
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been at university since September and I’m really struggling here. I am really intense homesickness, even though I go home most weekends. I’m about 2 and a half hours away by train. If I don’t go home for 2 weeks I really struggle and start to want to drop out even more. I’m doing a psychology degree and don’t like doing the coursework about reading research papers and writing about them AT ALL. I’m panicking about next year and how much harder it’s all going to get- maybe I’m just mentally in a bad place and now isn’t the time for me?

Issue is- i want to do psychology as a career! I want to be some kind of therapist and I’m freaking out about what my options are if I did leah uni. I feel like a failure. I’m doing my dream degree at my dream uni but I miss my home horribly and it’s only going to get harder from here. I don’t want to go to counselling because that isn’t going to change how I feel about the degree. Does anyone have any advice? I just haven’t been happy since I’ve been here, firstly because of home sickness and now because of homesickness and not liking my coursework
heyy, i was in the similar position as you last year. I was studying a course which i thought i'd enjoy but hated it within the first few weeks, but i stayed for a month and half and realised i just couldn't understand anything and on top of that like you, i hate coursework. I realised that the majority of help i was getting was from a friend and realised that they weren't going to be able to help me for the next 2 years. i was also very miserable and all i could think about was dropping out. Having said all that, at the end of the day your own mental health and how you feel is more important than a degree, especially considering you're probably really young. I'm studying psychology right now, having taking a year off after leaving, and although i still hate the coursework, I'm adjusting to it and i'm glad i took the year out and worked on myself. At first i was thinking i would be behind but realised that i can start a degree at any age and didnt care what others thought (even though it took me a while to realise this) Take the time you need, think about and make a decision that makes you happy. Because at the end of the day your going through the years of study not 'Linda' the counsellor who tells you to hang in there. Anyways hope this helps and i wish you all the best ;-)
Anonymous #1
heyy, i was in the similar position as you last year. I was studying a course which i thought i'd enjoy but hated it within the first few weeks, but i stayed for a month and half and realised i just couldn't understand anything and on top of that like you, i hate coursework. I realised that the majority of help i was getting was from a friend and realised that they weren't going to be able to help me for the next 2 years. i was also very miserable and all i could think about was dropping out. Having said all that, at the end of the day your own mental health and how you feel is more important than a degree, especially considering you're probably really young. I'm studying psychology right now, having taking a year off after leaving, and although i still hate the coursework, I'm adjusting to it and i'm glad i took the year out and worked on myself. At first i was thinking i would be behind but realised that i can start a degree at any age and didnt care what others thought (even though it took me a while to realise this) Take the time you need, think about and make a decision that makes you happy. Because at the end of the day your going through the years of study not 'Linda' the counsellor who tells you to hang in there. Anyways hope this helps and i wish you all the best ;-)
This is actually really helpful, thanks so much. I’m also relying on a friend to help me with the coursework and it isn’t fair on her or me. I’m worried that I’m quitting too early and I have no plans for if I did leave but I’m just constantly wanting to be at home. I’m studying psychology at the moment as well and I absolutely hate the coursework of writing about different research. I want to be some kind of therapist and having to write about research is not what I want to do. I’m not sure if I can reach my career goal without a degree but I’m only 19 and I feel like my whole career is at stake. I’m just totally panicked. I haven’t been happy since I got here but over the past 3 days it’s all started to set in for me that actually the stats will get harder in year 2, working with research will get more common in year 2, the stress will get worse in year 2. If I can’t cope now, how will I cope then?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
This is actually really helpful, thanks so much. I’m also relying on a friend to help me with the coursework and it isn’t fair on her or me. I’m worried that I’m quitting too early and I have no plans for if I did leave but I’m just constantly wanting to be at home. I’m studying psychology at the moment as well and I absolutely hate the coursework of writing about different research. I want to be some kind of therapist and having to write about research is not what I want to do. I’m not sure if I can reach my career goal without a degree but I’m only 19 and I feel like my whole career is at stake. I’m just totally panicked. I haven’t been happy since I got here but over the past 3 days it’s all started to set in for me that actually the stats will get harder in year 2, working with research will get more common in year 2, the stress will get worse in year 2. If I can’t cope now, how will I cope then?
Honestly i feel your stress.. All these new softwares for stats are kinda confusing and reading those longg articles is draining but i think that's the process of uni tbh, Youre definitely not alone when it comes to being stressed, the shift from a level to uni is a lot, and im pretty sure if you just ask a majority of people in your year theyre probably feeling the exact same way. And about the research papers, most courses require to you read previous papers and cite them in your work etc. doesnt necessary mean you want to go into a research field it just building on your skills. Also, its definitely going to get harder but this year is where you build the foundations for the second year so its understandable that it seems overwhelming. Finally, dont overthink about your career, its good that you have that goal in mind, but at the end of the day it takes time and a lot of work so you just have to be really patient :-))
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.25%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
15.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.91%
Isolating with family (131)
7.06%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (86)
4.63%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.3%
Loneliness (185)
9.97%
Financial worries (77)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (171)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.11%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.73%

Watched Threads