The Student Room Group

I don't understand what I'm reading half the time.

When I'm at home, I can read properly and absorb things well. But when I'm in school, reading is so difficult - like my brain fogs up and I can't comprehend anything. I also struggle to understand what I've read when I am told to speak it out loud. So the teacher thinks I'm not listening when I am trying my best but I keep on having to re-read it like 50 times for one sentence. Help?
talk to your teacher. let them know you’re struggling a bit. teachers are there to help you achieve the best grades you can get, but they can’t help if they’re uninformed. in fact, talking to your teacher might be good in order to give you better advice on what to do. perhaps it’s the environment you’re in that’s affecting you, or possibly a contrast in the types of books you read in & out of school. anyway, your teacher should know what to do.

hope this helps a little 😊
Original post by liaente
When I'm at home, I can read properly and absorb things well. But when I'm in school, reading is so difficult - like my brain fogs up and I can't comprehend anything. I also struggle to understand what I've read when I am told to speak it out loud. So the teacher thinks I'm not listening when I am trying my best but I keep on having to re-read it like 50 times for one sentence. Help?

Hi Liaente,
A person may be characterised as dyslexic if their ability to deal with certain tasks outstrips their ability to deal with their reading ability. Sometimes the letters and the words (or even the lines of words) can appear to move across the page. It can also affect auditory processing (you don't completely understand the question you've been asked until you've thought about it). It can also manifest itself as being an inability to remember complex sentences - you might remember the last part but not the first.

There are people who will be able to tell you more about you and your learning process. I'm not one of them. However I think you'd be good exploring this - it's possible you think you're reading things at home but you're just remembering the words rather than recognising them. If this sounds a bit mad I managed to memorise thousands of books without being able to read them and it took my family years to realise I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Love x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending