employment breaking the contract?

Watch
gfayers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
so I am on a 4 hour contract with my employer. I am a student so work there on the weekends usually. Last month I requested holiday and it was accepted as I thought annual leave, which I do get. Apparently some was put as that and some just days off but overall I didn't work a single hour that month because they also canceled me one week. So I got to pay day yesterday and find out I haven't been paid a penny. Curious as I know I haven't worked but thought holiday pay and 4 hour contract would kick in. So I ask and apparently I have no holiday pay left yet they accepted it when I requested and apparently working no hours results in no pay. I don't need this job as such, just go for social and the perks with the job. Am I entitled to do anything or should I just leave it?
Thank you
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gfayers)
Hello,
so I am on a 4 hour contract with my employer. I am a student so work there on the weekends usually. Last month I requested holiday and it was accepted as I thought annual leave, which I do get. Apparently some was put as that and some just days off but overall I didn't work a single hour that month because they also canceled me one week. So I got to pay day yesterday and find out I haven't been paid a penny. Curious as I know I haven't worked but thought holiday pay and 4 hour contract would kick in. So I ask and apparently I have no holiday pay left yet they accepted it when I requested and apparently working no hours results in no pay. I don't need this job as such, just go for social and the perks with the job. Am I entitled to do anything or should I just leave it?
Thank you
I can't quite understand all the details, but if you had no paid leave left, then it doesn't matter what they said when you asked for leave. it's your responsibility to monitor your leave entitlement as much as it's theirs. And if you had none left, you had none left. They didn't do anything wrong, you can't be given paid leave if you have none left.

Are you sure you even get paid leave? At 4 hours per week, I would have thought you'd have had a pay increment ie holiday pay included in your pay and no paid leave allowance.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Are you sure you even get paid leave? At 4 hours per week, I would have thought you'd have had a pay increment ie holiday pay included in your pay and no paid leave allowance.
Either that or you might have a pro rata holiday entitlement of like, 2 days a year.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gfayers)
apparently working no hours results in no pay
Isn't this kind of obvious for a job that pays by the hour?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Either that or you might have a pro rata holiday entitlement of like, 2 days a year.
You can do, but usually when people have more than zero hours, but a really small number of hours, you just add a holiday pay % to the basic pay rate instead of the holiday time off. But I'm not sure what the detail of the rules around that are. You are right though 4 hours per week would barely give you a day or two of leave a year anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
38.06%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.32%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (7)
4.52%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (35)
22.58%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
9.03%

Watched Threads