The Student Room Group

If you can get into X can you get into Y?

I have had a look at Brown's international applicants page. They state:

In considering whether or not Brown is the right choice for you, you should feel confident that your accomplishments would allow you to be admitted to a leading university in your own country.

I know league tables are not the be all and end all, but they do give a good approximation as to the 'level' of the school.

Considering Brown is around 30th-50th in the world and top 15 nationally, does this mean if you got accepted to a similar university in the UK, which I would assume would be the likes of Manchester/KCL/Bristol, then you are best to look at similar caliber universities in the US?

I say this as someone with conditional offers from KCL, Manchester, Exter, St. Andrews and Cardiff. By no means are these 'elite' but they are in the top 20 in the UK and definitely top 100 world wide. So I am not a Harvard guy, but maybe NYU, USC, etc etc?

Also, I know the admissions systems are completely different so I may not be spot on with this (in fact I am pretty sure I am not) but am I along the right lines with my thinking?

Thank you everyone.
By 'leading university' don't they mean Oxbridge?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

In considering whether or not Brown is the right choice for you, you should feel confident that your accomplishments would allow you to be admitted to a leading university in your own country.

I know league tables are not the be all and end all, but they do give a good approximation as to the 'level' of the school.

Considering Brown is around 30th-50th in the world and top 15 nationally, does this mean if you got accepted to a similar university in the UK, which I would assume would be the likes of Manchester/KCL/Bristol, then you are best to look at similar caliber universities in the US?

I say this as someone with conditional offers from KCL, Manchester, Exter, St. Andrews and Cardiff. By no means are these 'elite' but they are in the top 20 in the UK and definitely top 100 world wide. So I am not a Harvard guy, but maybe NYU, USC, etc etc?

Also, I know the admissions systems are completely different so I may not be spot on with this (in fact I am pretty sure I am not) but am I along the right lines with my thinking?

Thank you everyone.

You're kind of on the write lines. Academically, if you're getting offers from St Andrews you're smart enough to get into Brown.

BUT, it's dependent on many other factors. If you need lots of aid (USC and NYU don't give much afaik so I'm guessing you don't), your application should be above-average in competitiveness if possible. Your ECs need to be as good as possible - a lot more than DofE Bronze.
Reply 3
Original post by hoixw
You're kind of on the write lines. Academically, if you're getting offers from St Andrews you're smart enough to get into Brown.

BUT, it's dependent on many other factors. If you need lots of aid (USC and NYU don't give much afaik so I'm guessing you don't), your application should be above-average in competitiveness if possible. Your ECs need to be as good as possible - a lot more than DofE Bronze.

Thank you very much for this, extremely helpful!

Honestly I wont even mention some of the more 'standard' ECs. I expect most UK applicants to US colleges hold very similar ECs (esp. due to the relatively few ECs we have over here compared to the US) so will do my very best to make the application really 'shine'. I never really intended on going to Brown in the first place, but I suppose it is always worth a shot! Thank you very much.
Original post by Anonymous

Thank you everyone.

lol KCL, Bristol and Manchester aren't anywhere near Brown's level of selectivity. Brown is around as selective as Oxbridge, but on far less academic and focused criteria
Reply 5
Original post by A Rolling Stone
lol KCL, Bristol and Manchester aren't anywhere near Brown's level of selectivity. Brown is around as selective as Oxbridge, but on far less academic and focused criteria

Yes, but yield rates at US colleges are stupidly low as there's no limitations on how many places you can apply.
Reply 6
Original post by hoixw
Yes, but yield rates at US colleges are stupidly low as there's no limitations on how many places you can apply.

Related to this, am I right in saying you can in essence apply to as many colleges in the US as you like, unlike our UCAS system which caps you at 5? I would imagine this has a part to play in why acceptance rates are so low since people there are able to be more ambitious, applying to colleges they themselves know they are most likely not going to get in and thus more applicants = lower acceptance rates, in contrast to the UK where the only people applying to Oxbridge are the ones who already have a chance of getting in?

I guess what I am trying to say is the average Oxbridge applicant is far more likely to be successful than the average Stanford applicant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending