The Student Room Group

Inequalities

Find the set values of x for wich,

BOTH 3(2x+1)>5-2x AND 2x^2 -7x+3>0
Original post by Beechey23
Find the set values of x for wich,

BOTH 3(2x+1)>5-2x AND 2x^2 -7x+3>0

You need to solve both inequalities separately, then compare the results and determine the set of values of x that satisfies both of them. Post your working if stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
You need to solve both inequalities separately, then compare the results and determine the set of values of x that satisfies both of them. Post your working if stuck.

Yeah I know I have to solve them and that's where I am alright it's just because it says the both, and I didn't really understand that bit
Yeah I know I have to solve them and that's where I am alright it's just because it says the both, and I didn't really understand that bit

Let's say you has two inequalities, with respective solutions x >1 and x < 5. The set if values of x that satisfies both those inequalities is then 1 < x < 5. (x has to be both greater than 1 AND less than 5).
Reply 4
Let's say you has two inequalities, with respective solutions x >1 and x < 5. The set if values of x that satisfies both those inequalities is then 1 < x < 5. (x has to be both greater than 1 AND less than 5).

IMG_20191130_142037.jpgI've done that and part C is what we have been talking about I've found the set values for both inequalities but now I've got part C which is where I'm stuck
I've done that and part C is what we have been talking about I've found the set values for both inequalities but now I've got part C which is where I'm stuck

OK so far. Now, the set of values of x that satisfies both inequalities is the overlap between the two solutions (i.e. the values of x that fall within both solutions). To help visualise this, it might help you to shade in both solutions on a number line. The overlap should then be apparent.
Reply 6
OK so far. Now, the set of values of x that satisfies both inequalities is the overlap between the two solutions (i.e. the values of x that fall within both solutions). To help visualise this, it might help you to shade in both solutions on a number line. The overlap should then be apparent.

So would the answer be
1/4<x<1/2 and x>3
So would the answer be
1/4<x<1/2 and x>3

Yes, though its 'or' instead of 'and'

Quick Reply

Latest