The Student Room Group

Law in uni or police constable apprenticeship?

Hi, I am currently looking at a future career within the legal industry but am undecided about what path to take. I have finished my A levels and got BBBD and an E in AS Mathematics.

I have considered doing the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA) but am also look at other career paths such as becoming a solicitor through completing a law degree.

Has anyone got any experience that would help with these two option or other legal career paths and would be able to advise me? Pros and cons of each would also be appreciated!
Original post by lowrias
Hi, I am currently looking at a future career within the legal industry but am undecided about what path to take. I have finished my A levels and got BBBD and an E in AS Mathematics.

I have considered doing the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA) but am also look at other career paths such as becoming a solicitor through completing a law degree.

Has anyone got any experience that would help with these two option or other legal career paths and would be able to advise me? Pros and cons of each would also be appreciated!

BBB is average.
Law is competitive, imagine the police is just as competitive as solicitor.
My advice is do more research. Get some work experience.
Apply for both and make your choice, when you have offers.
Reply 2
They’re both quite different careers.

Why do they appeal?

Depending on the sorts of firms you’re interested in, your a-levels could be a restriction. A lot of the bigger London firms have minimum A-level requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
BBB is average.
Law is competitive, imagine the police is just as competitive as solicitor.
My advice is do more research. Get some work experience.
Apply for both and make your choice, when you have offers.

I think I will apply for both thank-you! I am doing a fair amount of research and am actually seeking work experience but it is difficult as opportunities where I live around quite limited. Special constable recruitment opens in spring so I plan on applying for that and have contacted a number of local law firms.
Reply 4
Original post by montyr
They’re both quite different careers.

Why do they appeal?

Depending on the sorts of firms you’re interested in, your a-levels could be a restriction. A lot of the bigger London firms have minimum A-level requirements.

I feel like they are and they aren't. They both apply the law and offer support and advice, just in different ways. Police officers are more active and I think it might be a more interesting career, however, I am a little put off by some of the duties they are expected to carry out and the way they are treated by the public at times. I like the fitness part associated.
I would be interested in becoming a solicitor as they offer advice and provide liberty. I can also take this route by applying for a paralegal apprenticeship and then a solicitor apprenticeship.
I am just torn at the moment, I know both careers would also be very demanding.
Original post by lowrias

Also wanting to be in the police, I am hoping to do the PCDA. If you hate it, you can actually leave at any point, you can also use your degree to do further study afterwards so you don't have to stay in the police. Really good life experience to have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending