revision question please help (GCSE) Watch

lost.soul
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have decided to turn things around for myself doing hours of revision every weekend but I don't know what to do or where to start. So far I've been advised to learn and understand the content first, not to do past papers yet.

My question is my revision consists of doing homework and having bought CGP books for every subject. Should I go through some of each book from start to finish every day and on weekends? Would this be good enough along with online videos to help understand anything I don't?

Is going through a CGP books a good method to me being prepared for exams? I am behind on each subject so will this be good enough?

Zainab88
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
so i have done my gcses and am now in my second year of a levels so have had my fair share of exams. in year 11 people who got really good used the spec . i know this isn't very specific so i'll elaborate, go through it and make a list of all the things you need to know if it gives you hints like for physics to learn a specific equation make flashcards on them and chant them / recite them on the way to school. then use your cgp guides along side videos and make a massive poster on a topic , for example in english literature you could do a poster on a book you have learnt. then after doing an hour say of poster work go onto questions , these can be a walkthrough mock style which you can find on youtube or just some specimen papers you can find online. do these questions for 1 hour and spend 1 hour marking them . then from these papers / questions make flashcards and chant/ recite them during a free period afterschool or something.
* hint with english lit if you know a teacher who teaches top set ask for a sample essay for question 4 or something and learn all the key and useful points ... i have an instagram account based on study tips and stuff i have useful gcse links on it. zebra_studies . hope this helps
Last edited by Zainab88; 2 weeks ago
lost.soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zainab88)
so i have done my gcses and am now in my second year of a levels so have had my fair share of exams. in year 11 people who got really good used the spec . i know this isn't very specific so i'll elaborate, go through it and make a list of all the things you need to know if it gives you hints like for physics to learn a specific equation make flashcards on them and chant them / recite them on the way to school. then use your cgp guides along side videos and make a massive poster on a topic , for example in english literature you could do a poster on a book you have learnt. then after doing an hour say of poster work go onto questions , these can be a walkthrough mock style which you can find on youtube or just some specimen papers you can find online. do these questions for 1 hour and spend 1 hour marking them . then from these papers / questions make flashcards and chant/ recite them during a free period afterschool or something.
* hint with english lit if you know a teacher who teaches top set ask for a sample essay for question 4 or something and learn all the key and usefulpoints ... i have an instagram account based on study tips and stuff i have useful gcse links on it. zebra_studies . hope this helps
WOW thank you so much for these tips, so do you mean like each topic I am covering in the CGP guides?
Also, when you say do questions for an hour do you mean past paper questions or questions in the CGP? Everyone keeps saying learn the spec first , so in this case is the spec the ones found in the CGP books or the spec from the exam board? Sorry for so many questions and thank you.
Zainab88
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lost.soul)
WOW thank you so much for these tips, so do you mean like each topic I am covering in the CGP guides?
Also, when you say do questions for an hour do you mean past paper questions or questions in the CGP? Everyone keeps saying learn the spec first , so in this case is the spec the ones found in the CGP books or the spec from the exam board? Sorry for so many questions and thank you.
its fine . yes so first of all i would start with the cgp guide questions this is just because they are easier ( also one of my teachers used one of the questions in my gcse mock to see if we were revising so that could happen) . however doing these questions MIGHT get you to like a level 4 grade so after you feel confident i would start doing open book exam papers then try do a paper you have done open booked , closed book . i know it might feel like you are only writing because you remember the markscheme said that it was right but that's the point it's an easy way to learn the markscheme. the spec i am referring to is the exam board specific one , however if you find it all complicated and too wordy try first reading the cgp one and see if it makes sense.
being perfectly honest with you i found using youtube song versions of topics really helpful. so i learnt my a christmas carol quotes using a rap , my physics formulas using a taylor swift song and learnt the quadratic formula using the cup song!!! but when i had learnt those small sections i would do as many questions as possible so that i could fully remember it.
Zainab88
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
so by topics i was referring to the big sections in the spec for example in aqa history there's a big topic called America, 1840–1895: Expansion and consolidation . in maths theres numbers as a topic. so its like every big topic.
lost.soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zainab88)
its fine . yes so first of all i would start with the cgp guide questions this is just because they are easier ( also one of my teachers used one of the questions in my gcse mock to see if we were revising so that could happen) . however doing these questions MIGHT get you to like a level 4 grade so after you feel confident i would start doing open book exam papers then try do a paper you have done open booked , closed book . i know it might feel like you are only writing because you remember the markscheme said that it was right but that's the point it's an easy way to learn the markscheme. the spec i am referring to is the exam board specific one , however if you find it all complicated and too wordy try first reading the cgp one and see if it makes sense.
being perfectly honest with you i found using youtube song versions of topics really helpful. so i learnt my a christmas carol quotes using a rap , my physics formulas using a taylor swift song and learnt the quadratic formula using the cup song!!! but when i had learnt those small sections i would do as many questions as possible so that i could fullyth remember it.
Thanks so much for this, i am on a level 4/5 now so i will start doing all of your tips and later I'll look up your instagram.

This was so kind of you to help with all these tips thanks again!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (352)
46.44%
No (81)
10.69%
I'm not old enough (325)
42.88%

Watched Threads