The Student Room Group

Advice on Oxford - Economics and Management Interviews

Hey everyone!

First of all, congratulations to everyone who received an interview and to those who didn't, life would have an equally amazing path for all of you!

So, I have an Economics and Management interview coming up, and I've researched all information and videos online regarding the subject's interview but there hasn't been much.

Does anyone have more specific information - such as what topic of Mathematics would they cover, past year question (aside from the ones online), popular topics, or any general advice?

Thank you so much in advance, and I wish everyone a happy day and smile always!
Original post by JJ112
Hey everyone!

First of all, congratulations to everyone who received an interview and to those who didn't, life would have an equally amazing path for all of you!

So, I have an Economics and Management interview coming up, and I've researched all information and videos online regarding the subject's interview but there hasn't been much.

Does anyone have more specific information - such as what topic of Mathematics would they cover, past year question (aside from the ones online), popular topics, or any general advice?

Thank you so much in advance, and I wish everyone a happy day and smile always!

The nature of the E&M questions varies from college to college and even interviewer to interviewer.

Some will prioritise maths A-level questions or maths in an economics context. There could be basic statistics too. There are some areas of maths they’re more likely to ask about than others, e.g. calculus, graph drawing, basic statistics but theoretically it could be anything you’ve covered so far in school.

Others will prioritise questions on economic theory or economics in a new scenario, taken from the undergraduate course (so you are not expected to be familiar with it). There could be questions on current affairs or an article too.
There can also be personal statement questions, motivation questions (‘why E&M’) etc.

Some examples for management specifically: there could be questions on case studies, questions on the overlap between business/management and economics, questions on what you have read about management.

There are probably other types of questions I haven’t listed this list is not an exhaustive list.

General advice get some mock interviews if possible. Try to practise ‘thinking aloud’. Think about possible questions they could ask you and have some answers in mind. Prepare for most types of question in case they come up. Read about current affairs maybe via the Economist, revise your A-level Maths.

Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ren31
Thanks for your advice! It's very useful since time is limited and I need to cover a lot. Now, I can be more selective. :biggrin:

I should emphasise that part of the purpose of the questions is to put you in unfamiliar scenarios and so you should be prepared for all sorts of questions, even questions I haven't included above. If you haven't already, take a look at some of the interview information available online to get a sense of what you should prepare for. Maybe then you can make a more informed decision about what you should prepare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending