arabiannights
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello! I would like to get honest student feedback on SOAS and its programs involving Arabic. I am interested in the following programs: BA Arabic, BA Arabic and Islamic Studies and BA Middle Eastern Studies. Any feedback would be useful and highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

P.S. I used to study Arabic Studies in Sofia University but wasn't satisfied with the teaching and wouldn't like to find myself in the same situation so please be as honest as possible about the current situation at SOAS.
Last edited by arabiannights; 2 weeks ago
SOAS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by arabiannights)
Hello! I would like to get honest student feedback on SOAS and its programs involving Arabic. I am interested in the following programs: BA Arabic, BA Arabic and Islamic Studies and BA Middle Eastern Studies. Any feedback would be useful and highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

P.S. I used to study Arabic Studies in Sofia University but wasn't satisfied with the teaching and wouldn't like to find myself in the same situation so please be as honest as possible about the current situation at SOAS.
Hi arabiannights - If you have questions about our Arabic programmes we would be happy to find a current student for you to chat with on TSR or via email. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in!
arabiannights
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SOAS)
Hi arabiannights - If you have questions about our Arabic programmes we would be happy to find a current student for you to chat with on TSR or via email. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in!
Hello!
I'd love to talk to a current student on whatever platform would be most convenient for them! Thank you very much!
SOAS
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hello!
I'd love to talk to a current student on whatever platform would be most convenient for them! Thank you very much!
Great! We'll have one of our current Arabic students contact you here shortly.
SOAS
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Hello Arabiannights,

My name is Ed, I'm a fourth year student at SOAS studying Arabic (BA Arabic).

I can't speak so much for the BA Middle Eastern studies, as it is not my degree, so I'm speaking mainly for BA Arabic and BA Arabic and Islamic Studies, although if you had any specific questions about BA Middle Eastern studies then I'd be happy to investigate.

In my opinion the Arabic course at SOAS is very good. The workload in the 1st year is a lot, and there are a lot of contact hours. Some of my friends who did joint honours degrees had an issue with this as it meant that they had less time to focus on their other subject, but if you're interested in BA Arabic or BA Arabic and Islamic studies then this shouldn't be an issue.

I think the standard of teaching is very high, and you progress very quickly in the language. That being said, it's important for me to know specifically what you are hoping to achieve in the Arabic language to advise you more appropriately, because Arabic has dialects which are very different to its formal written language. If you are only interested in dialects then the SOAS degree might not be for you, as the course devotes most of its time to teaching students to read and write MSA, rather than to speaking and listening in the dialects. May I ask what specifically you weren't satisfied with at Sofia University? Just so that I could give you more specific details as to whether SOAS would be better.

The modules you can take alongside Arabic are generally well taught, some better than others, but I've never had a bad tutor. SOAS is a very specialized institution and for that reason attracts some very prestigious academics. You only take these modules after your 1st year, as the first year is devoted almost entirely to gaining proficiency in Arabic. After 1st year you choose the modules that contribute to your overall degree, and these become more and more academically stimulating as your level of Arabic improves and you are able to study more primary sources.

For the year abroad (in year 3) SOAS offers more choice than other universities, you can go to Alexandria, Amman, Fez or Nablus. I can't speak for all of them, but I went to Amman. It was a great experience and the language school we attended was excellent, with a lot of contact hours, and a high level of teaching.

I hope this information is helpful for you, and if you have any more specific questions about the course then please let me know how I can help,

All the best,
Ed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Jun '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (416)
43.93%
No (98)
10.35%
I'm not old enough (433)
45.72%

Watched Threads