Want more information about this university?
Jeffaaaa Wang
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, guys, i got an offer from Uob. I'm not sure if it worth to apply for the accommodation with meal plan. Someone know its cheaper to live on meal plan or self-cater?
Last edited by Jeffaaaa Wang; 10 months ago
fijidude29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Congrats on your offer, what for?
Jeffaaaa Wang
Rep:
?
(Original post by fijidude29)
Congrats on your offer, what for?
It's a joint program, Electronic Engineering
Ben___
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I live near an Aldi and spend £125 a month on groceries and I think this is comparatively more than other people I know who are self-catered spend. Meal plan is going to be more like £200 a month then you still near to buy other things that aren't part of meal plan.
Jeffaaaa Wang
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben___)
I live near an Aldi and spend £125 a month on groceries and I think this is comparatively more than other people I know who are self-catered spend. Meal plan is going to be more like £200 a month then you still near to buy other things that aren't part of meal plan.
Thanks a lot for replying pal, it's much less than I thought.
fijidude29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’ve received my offer too, when do we apply for accommodation?
rahuleo
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm currently on meal plan at Chamberlain and I can tell you it's very expensive, we get £55 a week which sometimes doesn't even last until the end of the week because the food here is super expensive. I have to sort out breakfast using my own money (cereal and milk) otherwise I wouldn't have enough money for the end of the week. However, getting the food ready made is super convenient and quite nice, we can get food from almost anywhere in campus, even at starbucks which is located in campus.
JMFD620
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jeffaaaa Wang)
Hi, guys, i got an offer from Uob. I'm not sure if it worth to apply for the accommodation with meal plan. Someone know its cheaper to live on meal plan or self-cater?
I was on meal plan in Shackleton in first year. Overall it would be cheaper to be self catered - on average students spend around £30 a week on a food shop. However, the convenience of getting food at a huge variety of outlets both on campus and the Vale is amazing. I also found it was a great way to meet new people - usually my flat/block would all go for dinner together.
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jeffaaaa Wang)
Hi Jeffaaaa Wang!!

I'm a 3rd year at the University of Birmingham! There are advantages to having accommodation that is catered and non-catered so you just need to think about what you'd prefer to have.

Non-catered accommodation is cheaper in general because food isn't included but this means you have to do your own food budgeting and take into account that you'll be doing weekly supermarket shops. Non-catered accommodation is great if you like cooking for yourself/friends or if you want to start learning how to cook now that you're beginning to live more independently. It's also flexible as you can decide to cook/eat whenever you want, without leaving your accommodation. All the University of Birmingham accommodation is close to a supermarket such as Aldi, Morrisons and Sainsbury's.

Catered accommodation, therefore, is more expensive than non-catered but this is because your food budget is included in the cost. You will receive an ID card and each week £52.50 will be put onto it. This can be spent at a variety of places across the University's campus and also gives you 10% off. This includes the University's bar - Joes bar, which serves traditional pub food; Infusion, The Duck, The Melt and JCs - all situated on The Vale, which serves a variety of meals throughout the day and University Centre, which contains a cafe, Tex Mex stand, a cafeteria and an oriental kitchen! There's plenty to choose from. If you haven't spent all of the £52.50 by the end of the week it rolls over to the following week and is added to your next payment of £52.50!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Paige:yep:
___Vivek___
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
Hi Jeffaaaa Wang!!

I'm a 3rd year at the University of Birmingham! There are advantages to having accommodation that is catered and non-catered so you just need to think about what you'd prefer to have.

Non-catered accommodation is cheaper in general because food isn't included but this means you have to do your own food budgeting and take into account that you'll be doing weekly supermarket shops. Non-catered accommodation is great if you like cooking for yourself/friends or if you want to start learning how to cook now that you're beginning to live more independently. It's also flexible as you can decide to cook/eat whenever you want, without leaving your accommodation. All the University of Birmingham accommodation is close to a supermarket such as Aldi, Morrisons and Sainsbury's.

Catered accommodation, therefore, is more expensive than non-catered but this is because your food budget is included in the cost. You will receive an ID card and each week £52.50 will be put onto it. This can be spent at a variety of places across the University's campus and also gives you 10% off. This includes the University's bar - Joes bar, which serves traditional pub food; Infusion, The Duck, The Melt and JCs - all situated on The Vale, which serves a variety of meals throughout the day and University Centre, which contains a cafe, Tex Mex stand, a cafeteria and an oriental kitchen! There's plenty to choose from. If you haven't spent all of the £52.50 by the end of the week it rolls over to the following week and is added to your next payment of £52.50!

How long does the money rollover for, is it only for the week or does it accumulate over the year?
Also, can you use the meal plan money in the shops on campus, or anywhere outside campus?
BeanSween
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
Hi Jeffaaaa Wang!!

Hi

Just wondering if you are able to try meal plan for a month whilst living in self catering halls?

Thanks

What do you want to do ?
New mail
Copy
Last edited by BeanSween; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (143)
14.37%
I'm not sure (42)
4.22%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (298)
29.95%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (486)
48.84%

Watched Threads