tiaindie16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Name:  Screenshot 2019-11-30 at 19.30.34.png
Views: 10
Size:  235.2 KB
So... It's November the 30th 2019 and the month is almost over. I have decided it's time I make a plan. My A-level exams are in May 2020 and I will say year 12 was not the most productive which means I have a fair amount to do now.

It will be a tough 5 ish months full of ups and downs I am sure of that but I hope it will all be worth it. So a bit about me. I study Law (Cie), Business (Cie) and Psychology (Aqa). I want this to be a very open thread so to be honest I do not expect A* in my subjects or to go to a prestigious university. I just want to improve my productivity levels and be happy with the end results.

So with all that said I plan to make posts about my journey through the last few months of A levels in an attempt to save my grades. Let me know what you are studying and your goals. Also if you have any questions let me know

Predicted Grades/ My goals
Spoiler:
Show

Law - B
Business - B ( i would like an A)
Psychology - A
Last edited by tiaindie16; 1 week ago
CarrieJane199
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can’t relate my year 12 went awful so for the next 6 months snapchat Instagram and Facebook are deleted so I can study, I’m studying biology chemistry English literature, and I'm so far behind but I guess getting an offer from ARU really reminded me why I’m doing this
tiaindie16
Rep:
?
(Original post by CarrieJane199)
I can’t relate my year 12 went awful so for the next 6 months snapchat Instagram and Facebook are deleted so I can study, I’m studying biology chemistry English literature, and I'm so far behind but I guess getting an offer from ARU really reminded me why I’m doing this
I would have loved to go back and actually achieved more in year 12 but I have these last 5/6 months now to try and make up for as much as I can! Congrats for your offer as well sounds amazing. I defo agree with you about the social media side of things as I have done the same
tiaindie16
Rep:
?

Name:  Screenshot 2019-11-30 at 22.45.01.png
Views: 9
Size:  91.5 KB

Homeschooling for A-Levels :hello:
So something you may not know is that I do my A-Levels from home. Yep... through an online college. Why?
I went to a 'normal' secondary school and completed my GCSE's but after starting a local college I didn't really expect such a big change. It was very overwhelming and I didn't enjoy a single day. My subjects were Law, Psychology and Media. I knew from the first week that it was not for me but I was not aware of homeschooling for college and believed I was stuck.

I got to the point where I was so unhappy with my classes, the people and the environment there I started googling options which led me to find multiple online education systems which offered the A levels that I wanted to do! After a long talk with my parents I was given so much support and they backed me 100%. I chose Law, Psychology and decided Business was a better option for me than Media.

I feel very fortunate as online A levels through a college is not the cheapest when it comes to paying to sit exams as an external candidate but that is why I am going to work very hard over the next few months in order to be ready for exams. I know some people may be interested in homeschooling for A levels whether you are in a similar position to what I was or even thinking about options after GCSE's. I would be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has and would love to hear from anyone who is doing the same!

Stay healthy and motivated!
tiaindie16
Rep:
?

Name:  Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 11.28.02.png
Views: 10
Size:  52.5 KB
I am a big procrastinator and I am on a mission to change that before 2020.
:cyber:
Being at home the majority of the time (homeschool) means I have to have very high motivation levels considering I do not have teachers in person telling me what to do. Recently I have found a good app which has helped me stay focused. It's called Forest (i think its like £1.99) and you can set a timer for studying and if you complete the whole time you get a virtual tree and coins. Basically these coins add up and eventually you can contribute to helping climate change buy planting a real life tree through their app. It also has a cool feature where if you set it to 'deep study mode' and you come out of the app whilst a timer is going you will lose your tree. If you add friends on the app you can also do group sessions where if one person comes out of the app everyone loses the tree. This has really helped me spend a lot less time on my phone. Go check it out for yourselves if it is something you think would help! A similar free app I believe is called Flora.

Tips for overcoming procrastination and improving productivity!

• Lists... I love a good to do list. They just help you see what tasks you have to do clearly. I always make a to do list everyday when I get up even if it includes things like wash my hair or tidy my room as ticking off these tasks makes you feel a lot more productive. This is especially helpful when you have a lot of studying to do. You can break tasks down into smaller more manageable chunks so it is easier. 10/10 would recommend:smile:

• Getting rid of distractions... Like I said earlier my phone is something which delays me from completing work. I handle this issue by either utilizing my phone by using apps which will track my productivity or just completely remove my phone from my room so that I cannot use it. Also I would try and see if playing music helps you or not as I know a few people who revise with study playlists find it amazing however I find this impossible and have to study in silence:bawling:

• Starting small... I used to be someone who would procrastinate over a task and on the rare occasion I did feel motivated, I would sit and study for hours at a time. This does not work (At least for me). You just end up burning out and then you associate that feeling with studying in general. The best way is definitely by studying for smaller periods of time eg. 45 mins and then having a 15 minute break. A good app which can help you set these study cycles is Focus Keeper. You can set a timer for how long you want to study, a short break time or a long break time and then repeat if you wish to. It has helped me take the breaks I needed instead of burning out.

• Assess your environment... This is a key factor to consider as it could be the reason you are not getting things done. In particular I find it more difficult to do work in public spaces like libraries or with friends somewhere else. I just end up talking or looking around instead of staying on track. However this is completely different for everyone as you may have for example younger siblings at home who are a lot more distracting. In these cases the library may in fact be the best place for you to go. I would recommend trying out different environments until you find somewhere that works for you and sometimes it can be good to actually switch up your environment every now and again to avoid boredom.

The biggest tip of all however is remembering why you are doing this. Whether that is GCSE's, A levels or even at Uni. The best thing to do is think about getting those grades you want at the end of it.

Leave a comment if you have any procrastination tips!

good luck
Tia x
tiaindie16
Rep:
?
I am just curious to see what people are planning to do after their A levels?? Leave a comment about Uni or your course you want to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (44)
33.08%
No I don't (62)
46.62%
I work during the holidays (27)
20.3%

Watched Threads