The Student Room Group

Interrupting your studies

Does anyone have any experience of this and how difficult it is to be granted it? Or how long it takes?
Hi! I have done this at undergrad and PhD. I needed supporting letters from my doctors confirming its the best thing to do and that I'm not just taking Tim out because of usual uni stress. Didn't take longer than a couple of weeks for both universities to agree.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hi! I have done this at undergrad and PhD. I needed supporting letters from my doctors confirming its the best thing to do and that I'm not just taking Tim out because of usual uni stress. Didn't take longer than a couple of weeks for both universities to agree.

Hi,

I basically want to take time out so that I don’t have to come back after Christmas (I break up on the 13th,) and can decide when to come back, whether that’s in a month or a year. I’m not crazy about the course I’m doing (although I probably won’t mention that,) but I’ve been really struggling with homesickness and don’t feel in a good place mentally. I don’t know how I would go about applying for it really, do I need to go and speak to my GP on campus? I’d just really like the option to return if my attitude changes

Do you have to do uni work while you’re on an interrupted study eg submit coursework
Original post by katie091000
Do you have to do uni work while you’re on an interrupted study eg submit coursework

Hmmm I’m not sure you can just interrupt to see if you want to quit. And I’m sorry to hear about the homesickness but again, I’m not sure if that’s really grounds to interrupt! I think your best bet is to talk to your uni.
Hmmm I’m not sure you can just interrupt to see if you want to quit. And I’m sorry to hear about the homesickness but again, I’m not sure if that’s really grounds to interrupt! I think your best bet is to talk to your uni.

So I’ll probably try and apply on some kind of mental health grounds, if I go to my GP and tell them I’m struggling then that might help my application?
Hi,

I basically want to take time out so that I don’t have to come back after Christmas (I break up on the 13th,) and can decide when to come back, whether that’s in a month or a year. I’m not crazy about the course I’m doing (although I probably won’t mention that,) but I’ve been really struggling with homesickness and don’t feel in a good place mentally. I don’t know how I would go about applying for it really, do I need to go and speak to my GP on campus? I’d just really like the option to return if my attitude changes

Wouldn't it be easier for you to withdraw from your course to give yourself time to figure out exactly what you want to do? It might take the pressure off to know that you won't be required to return to the same situation. Your university also might not consider homesickness to be a robust enough argument to let your return date be completely open-ended (without good reason).
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Wouldn't it be easier for you to withdraw from your course to give yourself time to figure out exactly what you want to do? It might take the pressure off to know that you won't be required to return to the same situation. Your university also might not consider homesickness to be a robust enough argument to let your return date be completely open-ended (without good reason).

I would probably just talk through the way it’s effected my mental health but I wouldn’t mention home sickness. I’ll also be under no obligation to return x

Not sure what to do really because I’m seeing my tutor at 4 but have to go and see the GP before hand. Would it be worth explaining to the GP how much I’ve been struggling and then talking to my Tutor about applying for interrupted study or?
Not sure what to do really because I’m seeing my tutor at 4 but have to go and see the GP before hand. Would it be worth explaining to the GP how much I’ve been struggling and then talking to my Tutor about applying for interrupted study or?

You'll need to speak to your tutor about the specific procedures required to apply for an interruption. There will likely be an initial criteria you have to meet before you are eligible to apply for one. If you meet those, then you can proceed with filling in any forms, providing evidence etc.

I've never had to interrupt my studies so don't quote me on this, but they may want you to provide a return date (as your evidence might indicate how long your interruption should be for).
You'll need to speak to your tutor about the specific procedures required to apply for an interruption. There will likely be an initial criteria you have to meet before you are eligible to apply for one. If you meet those, then you can proceed with filling in any forms, providing evidence etc.

I've never had to interrupt my studies so don't quote me on this, but they may want you to provide a return date (as your evidence might indicate how long your interruption should be for).

But surely if (let’s say I ask to interrupt until September) I won’t be obliged to come back? Like I will be able to say no surely if I decide I don’t want to come back? I have no idea how I’ll feel in 9 months time
But surely if (let’s say I ask to interrupt until September) I won’t be obliged to come back? Like I will be able to say no surely if I decide I don’t want to come back? I have no idea how I’ll feel in 9 months time

It's not that you can't change your mind, but the university may not want to hold a place open for you without knowing more concrete information. I know some universities have a limit as to how long you can interrupt for (before you'd have to reapply), but that may vary according to your circumstances.

Also, if you require one of the lecturers to provide you with an academic reference for another university application, they will probably assume that you won't return.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending