Personal statement for College

Watch this thread
XpertShadow
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently writing my personal statement for a College I want to apply to and the word limit is 300 words.Im not sure on how to cover the full 300 words. Also can I repeat 'I' at the start of every sentence or do I need to change it.

thanks
paren
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by XpertShadow)
Hi, I am currently writing my personal statement for a College I want to apply to and the word limit is 300 words.Im not sure on how to cover the full 300 words. Also can I repeat 'I' at the start of every sentence or do I need to change it.

thanks
hey. this really depends on what course you're doing. I decided to open with something I was personally exploring (I talked about morality and legality for my law application), and spend the next few paragraphs about what you learned and what new things (topics, books, opinions, experts) you came across. explain what parts of your personal discovery really intrigued you.

another thing you could bring up is how the subjects you currently study are applicable to your course. even if your subject seemingly has nothing to do with the course, im sure that there are certain skills (evaluation skills, critical thinking, speed reading, understanding concepts and theories) that you could include.

you could also consider talking about your extracurricular activities, even if they seem unrelated to the course (it can show your ability to manage time, maintain a healthy study attitude, etc)

I mean its not an English test, so you can technically repeat "I" every sentence. then again, it may affect the admissions tutors impression of you as it may seem like you do not have a strong command of language and creative writing.

IMO, I think that the evaluation criteria of the personal statement varies for each uni, and it may help to ask them what they look for in a personal statement. for example, LSE is a little bit of a **** with the personal statement, but Oxford barely gives a ****. its best to go through your personal statement with a teacher, and try not to get too many opinions on it. you have to be happy with your personal statement. don't try and make too many people happy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
66.34%
No (26)
25.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
7.92%

Watched Threads