The Student Room Group

New Job vs Masters

In some sort of dilemma right now, I have received a job offer from Deloitte scheduled to start in January. However, after graduating 5 years ago, I've really missed studying and eager to begin my masters next Sept/Oct. I have been advised into looking at Birkbeck university so I can work and at the same time attend the evening classes. Thing is though, I wanted a more reputable university so my mind is set on either Nottingham, Bristol or Birmingham for the MSc Finance and Investments course. The other London universities (UCL, LSE & Imperial) are out of my league as I refuse to shed approximately £35000 on a bloody course.

Just wanted to hear differing opinions on whether it would be a good idea for me to leave a good job at Deloitte to complete my masters.
Or are there any feasible solutions to make this all work?
Just trying to weigh up my options.

Not sure this is the right forum but any advice will be much appreciated
Original post by Hakz

What have you been doing for the past 5 years, because that makes a difference to what you can leverage out of both the Deloitte opportunity and the degree.

Is there are chance of Deloitte funding anything in a year or two? An MBA in a couple of years might be more valuable?

Are you actually planning a career change with the degree - where prestige might matter, or do you just want to accelerate progress in the same direction you are going in (which is pretty much what Birkbeck degrees are for)?
A lot of the Big 4 allow you to defer, ask HR if you can.
Reply 3
Thanks for the kind reply.

I have been working within a finance capacity in the last 5 years but the recent opportunity at Deloitte tops the previous roles.

Also, I believe they provide opportunities in sponsoring a relevant qualification (ACA) if I desire. I was also thinking about the MBA but I believe that will probably only be necessary in the long term.

I've always worked in finance but will have always wanted to break into the analytical side of things hence why I believe the MSc will be beneficial in providing me the necessary skills and expertise (I'll also admit, I have missed studying). Ideal role would be a Finance Analyst. And I have no problem with Birkbeck, just not sure how it will be perceived compared to say Notts or Bristol on my CV.
Reply 4
Original post by steph0468
A lot of the Big 4 allow you to defer, ask HR if you can.

I highly doubt that option will be available to me but I'll ask. Cheers
Defer or if you can work part time, then a part-time degree is ideal. That's how I ended up at UCL, my employers offered a job promotion with added flexibility.
Original post by Hakz
I highly doubt that option will be available to me but I'll ask. Cheers

Is taking a sabbatical after few years in the job to do a Masters an option?
Original post by Hakz
Thanks for the kind reply.

I have been working within a finance capacity in the last 5 years but the recent opportunity at Deloitte tops the previous roles.

Also, I believe they provide opportunities in sponsoring a relevant qualification (ACA) if I desire. I was also thinking about the MBA but I believe that will probably only be necessary in the long term.

I've always worked in finance but will have always wanted to break into the analytical side of things hence why I believe the MSc will be beneficial in providing me the necessary skills and expertise (I'll also admit, I have missed studying). Ideal role would be a Finance Analyst. And I have no problem with Birkbeck, just not sure how it will be perceived compared to say Notts or Bristol on my CV.

I don't think Notts or Bristol are going to help your CV much, you've got 5 years experience and a job at Deloitte on there. I'd settle in to the Deloitte job, see what opportunities for a more analytical role or training might occur there, and if none, then fit Birkbeck in.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
I don't think Notts or Bristol are going to help your CV much, you've got 5 years experience and a job at Deloitte on there. I'd settle in to the Deloitte job, see what opportunities for a more analytical role or training might occur there, and if none, then fit Birkbeck in.

Sounds like a good advice. Guess I’d just see how the role goes and see where I am in the near future then take it from there. Thanks mate
Reply 9
Original post by steph0468
Is taking a sabbatical after few years in the job to do a Masters an option?

I’d love for this to be an option but I highly doubt it. Thanks though
I would say go for the Deloitte opportunity because it is an amazing opportunity, what sector within Deloitte by the way?

A lot of people who work for the big 4 normally do so for a few years and then go to industry, but the level work, the competition, the expectations of the big 4 are unlike pretty much all other firms which is why many many top jobs ask for big 4 credentials because it builds you up in that way. Just look at the careers of ex big 4 people and you will see what direction you can go towards.

So not sure what sector in Deloitte as you didn't say, but normally we value a degree with professional accounting qualifications (ACCA or ACA) more so than a degree and masters, as others have said, it is not going to boost your opportunities much. After you walk in to industry, degrees don't mean much, it is more of a entry requirement, after that what counts is your own professional development so it is probably correct in saying a masters isn't going give you much more.

Build yourself up, a years experience at Deloitte is like 2-3 years elsewhere. Build yourself up, look for invest opportunities, make some money, and opportunities to study will be available to you in the future, trust me. Universities aren't going anywhere, but opportunities like big 4 do not come by easily.

In a nutshell, the Deloitte opportunity far far outweighs the benefits (if any) of doing a masters now - but you can do it later so win win.
Reply 11
Original post by konvictz0007
I would say go for the Deloitte opportunity because it is an amazing opportunity, what sector within Deloitte by the way?

A lot of people who work for the big 4 normally do so for a few years and then go to industry, but the level work, the competition, the expectations of the big 4 are unlike pretty much all other firms which is why many many top jobs ask for big 4 credentials because it builds you up in that way. Just look at the careers of ex big 4 people and you will see what direction you can go towards.

So not sure what sector in Deloitte as you didn't say, but normally we value a degree with professional accounting qualifications (ACCA or ACA) more so than a degree and masters, as others have said, it is not going to boost your opportunities much. After you walk in to industry, degrees don't mean much, it is more of a entry requirement, after that what counts is your own professional development so it is probably correct in saying a masters isn't going give you much more.

Build yourself up, a years experience at Deloitte is like 2-3 years elsewhere. Build yourself up, look for invest opportunities, make some money, and opportunities to study will be available to you in the future, trust me. Universities aren't going anywhere, but opportunities like big 4 do not come by easily.

In a nutshell, the Deloitte opportunity far far outweighs the benefits (if any) of doing a masters now - but you can do it later so win win.

It would be in financial advisory. I’ve also been told that a professional qualification is much more beneficial than a masters at this stage so I‘ll definitely take up the deloitte opportunity now.

I was kind of missing the studying aspect but as you advised I’ll always have the chance to do that later on.

Thanks a bunch for all the advice. It’s been really helpful. May I ask what department you’re working in at Deloitte (if you’re currently working there)
Reply 12
Stick to joining the new company and earn money. Learn some stuff from the online free courses places like coursera or EdX.
Original post by muttondresser
Defer or if you can work part time, then a part-time degree is ideal. That's how I ended up at UCL, my employers offered a job promotion with added flexibility.

Original post by threeportdrift

Original post by 0le
Stick to joining the new company and earn money. Learn some stuff from the online free courses places like coursera or EdX.

im also looking at Birbeck, De Monfort MBA for lawyers and University of London Global MBA. really torn between the 3 choices. any advice for me?

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/business-services/a-z-business-services/business-and-law/mba-for-lawyers.aspx
https://london.ac.uk/courses/global-mba
Original post by Audrey18
im also looking at Birbeck, De Monfort MBA for lawyers and University of London Global MBA. really torn between the 3 choices. any advice for me?

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/business-services/a-z-business-services/business-and-law/mba-for-lawyers.aspx
https://london.ac.uk/courses/global-mba

Go and work for Deloitte. None of those are worth jacking in a decent job for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending