The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I noticed that there wasn't one for 2021 applicants - and while most of us are still in Year 12, it would be nice to have a thread for prospective applicants. (It's already 2020 - this time next year we'll (hopefully) have university offers rolling in!!!! :-O )

This is kind of @New Wonder's 2020 thread except for 2021 applicants.

(Some questions from New Wonder's thread):
To get this thread started introduce yourself:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
3)What are your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.
Reply 2
I’m not sure whether to apply for Cambridge but no harm done even if I did I guess

Bio chem maths , all A*
Possibly medicine, biomed, biochemistry
I went to an open day specially for medicine in a college and I love it but at that time the oblivious me didn’t even realised that college was part of Cambridge..

Manchester UCL Imperial KCL Bristol
Gonville and Caius
Reply 3
Good luck on the journey ahead!!!!

(I've stickied and made this thread Official :smile: )
Here's mine:
1) maths, further maths, physics and chemistry - aiming for straight A*s
2) Still deciding - most likely either mathematics or mathematics with physics (possibly... physical natural sciences)
3) 9999999A*A*A*A*
4) It's a beautiful city (with some really beautiful colleges!), and it's renowned for its maths course
5) Still deciding... but: Imperial, Bristol, UCL, Edinburgh and maybe Durham.... some place in the USA
6) Not yet!
7) eh, extra maths stuff (e.g. SMC, MOG), an epq, some reading
8) STEP (taken by offer holders)

:biggrin: :s-smilie:
I’m not entirely sure I’m going to apply for Cambridge yet, but I think I will!
1) maths (I’m taking maths this year), further maths, physics and chemistry - aiming for all A*s
2) most likely maths
3) A^9999998876
4) I absolutely love Cambridge as a place and all of the options that are available in the maths course. However I’m not completely decided between applying to Cambridge or oxford, my dad is pushing my towards oxford which is only making me want to apply to Cambridge.
5) again I haven’t decided but most likely Warwick and Durham
6) not yet
7) I attend fortnightly maths problem solving sessions, ukmt senior maths challenge golds both year 11 and this year, I’m going to two Cambridge residentials and wider reading and watching lectures/informative videos on YouTube.
8) STEP
Reply 6
Original post by Felix.lxx

4) I absolutely love Cambridge as a place and all of the options that are available in the maths course. However I’m not completely decided between applying to Cambridge or oxford, my dad is pushing my towards oxford which is only making me want to apply to Cambridge.

Why is your dad pushing you to Oxford?
Original post by Doones
Why is your dad pushing you to Oxford?

My dad went to Oxford himself
Reply 8
Original post by Felix.lxx
My dad went to Oxford himself

Ah ha! :wink:
Hey everyone! I currently hold an offer for Law at Gonville and Caius, Cambridge for 2020 entry and am happy to answer any questions anyone has about the process or law applications in particular:smile: good luck!

(offer conditions = A*AA)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by legallyroyal63
Hey everyone! I currently hold an offer for Law at Cambridge for 2020 entry and am happy to answer any questions anyone has about the process :smile: good luck with your applications!:banana:

Your offer conditions, if I may ask?
Original post by ParentSaraG
Your offer conditions, if I may ask?

A*AA :smile:
Original post by legallyroyal63
A*AA :smile:

Thanks.

Is the A* specified?

And which College?
Original post by ParentSaraG
Thanks.

Is the A* specified?

And which College?

Not specified - usually the case with law. At gonville and caius :smile:
Original post by tash299792
I noticed that there wasn't one for 2021 applicants - and while most of us are still in Year 12, it would be nice to have a thread for prospective applicants. (It's already 2020 - this time next year we'll (hopefully) have university offers rolling in!!!! :-O )

This is kind of @New Wonder's 2020 thread except for 2021 applicants.

(Some questions from New Wonder's thread):
To get this thread started introduce yourself:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
3)What are your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.

I applied this year and got an interview at Robinson but didn't get an offer. I am determined to reapply next year as I went and it felt right instantaneously. The reason I chose Cambridge was because I absolutely love my subject and you really have to prove your passion for whatever you are studying when you go. I like the idea that people have to have an interest so will want to talk about it over coffee or outside lectures/tutorials.

^^I applied for Philosophy btw haha I should have said earlier!!

I have offers from other places so will go somewhere else for a year then transfer if I get a place at Cam or stay put in whichever uni I end up at if I don't get an offer.

Am doing Advanced Higher atm in Edinburgh in English, RMPS and German - hoping for three A*
Having been through the process, I would say the worst part is waiting for the outcome.
Original post by yankang.qi
I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone has about the application process. I have an offer for medicine at Clare, A*A*AA with no specific subject requirements :smile:

ah congratulations! can we get the basic stats (gcses, predicted grades, ucat/bmat etc) :smile:
Reply 17
I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone has about the application process. I have an offer for medicine at Clare, A*A*AA with no specific subject requirements :smile:

What kind of extracurricular activity did you do and work experience?
Reply 18
Extracurriculars took up a very small portion of my personal statement but I mentioned volunteering for school/science events, tutoring, playing badminton, playing piano and attending my school Medsoc. I don't think these played a role at all in me getting a place to be honest, it was a very small paragraph.
More medicine related things,"super-curriculars", were keeping up to date on health news, researching areas of medicine that interested me, volunteering, GP shadowing, attending workshops and reading books.

I see, thanks for the reply too :smile: what books would you suggest or any relatable would be fine
Reply 19
Original post by elssssssssa
I applied this year and got an interview at Robinson but didn't get an offer. I am determined to reapply next year as I went and it felt right instantaneously. The reason I chose Cambridge was because I absolutely love my subject and you really have to prove your passion for whatever you are studying when you go. I like the idea that people have to have an interest so will want to talk about it over coffee or outside lectures/tutorials.

^^I applied for Philosophy btw haha I should have said earlier!!

I have offers from other places so will go somewhere else for a year then transfer if I get a place at Cam or stay put in whichever uni I end up at if I don't get an offer.

Am doing Advanced Higher atm in Edinburgh in English, RMPS and German - hoping for three A*

I'm afraid Cambridge doesn't normally allow "transfers" from other universities.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

You would have to take a gap year and reapply to all your universities.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest