Official Cambridge University 2021 Applicants thread

Watch
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by mez_merising)
ah congratulations! can we get the basic stats (gcses, predicted grades, ucat/bmat etc)
Thank you
My GCSEs aren't stellar but: 9s in maths, sciences and computer science; 8 in geography; 6s in English lit, English lang and spanish; A in statistics and A^ in further maths.
Predicted 4A*s in Biology, Chemistry and Double Maths.
Achieved 6.8, 6.6, 3.5A in BMAT and 710, B2 in UCAT.

(Original post by Yazomi)
What kind of extracurricular activity did you do and work experience?
Extracurriculars took up a very small portion of my personal statement but I mentioned volunteering for school/science events, tutoring, playing badminton, playing piano and attending my school Medsoc. I don't think these played a role at all in me getting a place to be honest, it was a very small paragraph.
More medicine related things,"super-curriculars", were keeping up to date on health news, researching areas of medicine that interested me, volunteering, GP shadowing, attending workshops and reading books.
Yazomi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by yankang.qi)
Extracurriculars took up a very small portion of my personal statement but I mentioned volunteering for school/science events, tutoring, playing badminton, playing piano and attending my school Medsoc. I don't think these played a role at all in me getting a place to be honest, it was a very small paragraph.
More medicine related things,"super-curriculars", were keeping up to date on health news, researching areas of medicine that interested me, volunteering, GP shadowing, attending workshops and reading books.
I see, thanks for the reply too what books would you suggest or any relatable would be fine
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Yazomi)
I see, thanks for the reply too what books would you suggest or any relatable would be fine
There are quite a lot of books that you can read, plenty of lists you can find online, but my two favourite were Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee and This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. The first is really interesting and gives a great insight into the development of cancer treatment. It is a long read though and is quite packed so it's not for everyone, worth giving a go though. The latter is much more light hearted and comedic, but it describes the real downsides of being a Junior Doctor. It is really funny and if you still want to be a doctor after it then you are looking in the right direction.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by elssssssssa)
I applied this year and got an interview at Robinson but didn't get an offer. I am determined to reapply next year as I went and it felt right instantaneously. The reason I chose Cambridge was because I absolutely love my subject and you really have to prove your passion for whatever you are studying when you go. I like the idea that people have to have an interest so will want to talk about it over coffee or outside lectures/tutorials.

^^I applied for Philosophy btw haha I should have said earlier!!

I have offers from other places so will go somewhere else for a year then transfer if I get a place at Cam or stay put in whichever uni I end up at if I don't get an offer.

Am doing Advanced Higher atm in Edinburgh in English, RMPS and German - hoping for three A*
I'm afraid Cambridge doesn't normally allow "transfers" from other universities.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....d-out-more/faq

You would have to take a gap year and reapply to all your universities.
Last edited by Doones; 5 months ago
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There are quite a lot of books that you can read, plenty of lists you can find online, but my two favourite were Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee and This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. The first is really interesting and gives a great insight into the development of cancer treatment. It is a long read though and is quite packed so it's not for everyone, worth giving a go though. The latter is much more light hearted and comedic, but it describes the real downsides of being a Junior Doctor. It is really funny and if you still want to be a doctor after it then you are looking in the right direction.
which college are you at and why?
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by mez_merising)
which college are you at and why?
I'm at Clare, it was really nice when I went and I thought it might be easier to get into, I thought applying to bigger colleges would mean I would get pooled to a college I didn't like.
theomay15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
1) English Lit. - A*, Psychology - A*, Art - A*, EPQ - A*/A
2) History of Art
3) 9,9,9,9,9,9,8,8,7,7
4) It's a beautiful place and I love the college system/ the course specifically is also the best of its kind there in my opinion/ Fitzwilliam museum

About UCAS specifically:
5) The Courtauld Institute, UCL, Durham, Manchester, Exeter
6) I've been to a subject taster day at Cambridge, based partly at Downing college.
7) EPQ, lots of wider reading, work experience at galleries, tutoring at school, essay competitions, online courses and lectures (TED talks/ podcasts etc, art short course at UAL, student council (head student candidate)
8) no
lovelylemon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m hoping to apply but also kind of scared to haha!

1) Religious Studies - A*, English Literature - A, Spanish - A*/A
2)Linguistics
3) 999888887
4) It’s always been my dream to go to Oxbridge, I think the collegiate system would suit me, the opportunities would be amazing and the course seems very varied and interesting

5) UCL, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Glasgow
6) I’ve been to a subject masterclass, but no actual open days
7) EPQ, tutoring, wider reading
8) I think so
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone has about the application process. I have an offer for medicine at Clare, A*A*AA with no specific subject requirements
Unusual to have an offer on four A levels rather than three. Did you find out why?
MarkYang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello everyone!! Can I make friends with you?

I'm a Chinese student (study and live in china since I was born) and I will apply to Cambridge for mathematics as an international student this year. I have already done several A-level exams and I think I can get A*A*A* in mathematics, further mathematics, and physics if there is no accident. So far, I have already got A* in mathematics with an average score of 97/100. I will use the complete A-level to apply this October lol.

Since I am an international student, there are many things different from you. Like I didn't learn GCSEs and I start learning A-Level by myself directly. Meanwhile, I am, in fact, a student in a Chinese high-school and most of my classmates will take Chinese Gaokao and apply universities based in China haha. Hence I am keen to meet you guys and hopefully, we can become good friends haha. I think we can talk about our ideas for application, also which colleges to choose. I will also attend STEP I, II, III this June. One of my fellows had done this last year (also achieve SSS before applying, in what you called year12) and he is admitted by st johns haha. Now I am doing STEP past papers day by day. it is, in fact, a little bit difficult I think (much more difficult than A-level). I will try my best. If I also get a good grade (like sss, although the probability is very small), maybe I will apply for Trinity or st johns. I also like colleges like Churchill, Homerton...( in fact I think all colleges in Cambridge is very good).

When it comes to other universities I will apply, maybe that is Imperial.

Since English is not my mother tongue and I haven't studied abroad so far, I think there are probably many things I do not understand even. So plz if you have some advice for me, an international student, I will be very glad to hear. Also, I like to make international friends and you can definitely ask me anything about China lol. (i like Chinese history and I have read many things about Chinese history and culture. I also have a lot of hobbies like debate etc. I have found a debate club in my high school lol.

I hope to make friends with you and we can discuss more in Cambridge applying!!
Last edited by MarkYang; 5 months ago
daisywatson01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi I'm Daisy!

1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
English Literature (AQA) - A*
Law (AQA) - A
Religious Studies/Theology (WJEC) - A/A*

2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
HSPS (human, social and political sciences)

3)What are your GCSE Grades?
Mixed, but got 9s in English, 8 in re. Good grades in my speciality subjects whoop whoop.

4)Why Cambridge?
The course looks phenomenal, and the environment/atmosphere at the actual university feels right for me. I've always loved the idea of working/studying somewhere that makes a big difference to the world, and the amount of research that has come out of that university is incredible.

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to?
Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol (still looking)

6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
A few They were so fun and gave such great insight into the UNI.

7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
I'm a part of Youth Cabinet and Parliament, head of debating at my school and I just generally involve myself in political/community activities. I read a lot of current affairs, articles etc and make sure to constantly involve myself in active conversations. I'm going to start reading a bit more but I'm still trying to find my feet in sixth form, it's been a bit tough. I want to be a bit more organised etc when I really get into it. I'm trying to keep it chilled at the moment otherwise.

8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.

I don't think HSPS have to anymore.
Last edited by daisywatson01; 5 months ago
EternalKnight_02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
test
EternalKnight_02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by daisywatson01)
Hi I'm Daisy!

Law (AQA) - A

Mixed, but got 9s in English, 8 in re. Good grades in my speciality subjects whoop whoop.

4)Why Cambridge?
The course looks phenomenal, and the environment/atmosphere at the actual university feels right for me. I've always loved the idea of working/studying somewhere that makes a big difference to the world, and the amount of research that has come out of that university is incredible.

About UCAS specifically:

7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
I'm a part of Youth Cabinet and Parliament, head of debating at my school and I just generally involve myself in political/community activities. I read a lot of current affairs, articles etc and make sure to constantly involve myself in active conversations. I'm going to start reading a bit more but I'm still trying to find my feet in sixth form, it's been a bit tough. I want to be a bit more organised etc when I really get into it. I'm trying to keep it chilled at the moment otherwise.

I'm also interested in HSPS how cool!
daisywatson01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by EternalKnight_02)
I'm also interested in HSPS how cool!
Which section do you like the sound of the most??
MarkYang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by daisywatson01)
Hi I'm Daisy!

Law (AQA) - A

4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:

HSPS is really cool!! I like history and politics, but I think I cannot apply for it because my English is not that good (including vocabulary, etc. I will spend a large amount of time in reading a politics book writing in English. So I choose to apply mathematics ( and also I am good at maths) and regard HSPS as my extracurricular hobby lol.

Which college do you want to choose? I have just posted my introduction before you. I hope you apply successfully!!
yankang.qi
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Unusual to have an offer on four A levels rather than three. Did you find out why?
Idk why they did but I've heard they offer with four A levels to make sure that you can actually do well in all them because it advantaged your application. Not 100% though.
sunanon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tash299792)
I noticed that there wasn't one for 2021 applicants - and while most of us are still in Year 12, it would be nice to have a thread for prospective applicants. (It's already 2020 - this time next year we'll (hopefully) have university offers rolling in!!!! :-O )

This is kind of @New Wonder's 2020 thread except for 2021 applicants.

(Some questions from New Wonder's thread):
To get this thread started introduce yourself:
4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
1) I’m taking art & design, english, and maths. I’m hoping for at most A*A*A , and at least AAA.
2) I want to do architecture.
3) 9,9,9,9,9,9,9,9,8,8,A
4) I’ve tried so hard at school all my life. My teachers have never stopped believing me and always pushed me. I’ve always strived for top of the class, top of the year, top of the school. It’s almost an “if anyone can do it, it’s me” situation. Best GCSE grades in my large year group. I love cambridge (visited last year)- love the history, the reputation, the surrounding environment. To study architecture i believe a stimulating environment is really important. I don’t want to go to some generic university with generic accommodation. I love the facilities, the libraries, the town itself. The course looks intensive and i love a good challenge.
5) bath for sure. Possibly the Barlett school at UCL, manchester, edinburgh, sheffield.
6) not yet but I have visited the town and seen a small portion of the university
7) I do EPQ, i’ve done D of E, I do a lot of enrichment activities and produce lots of artwork outside my a level. Plus im on track for the right grades and top of all my classes. Managed to get in all my teachers’ good books.
8) yes- an hour long admissions test. 30 mins writing 30 mins drawing and I’m petrified. God knows what I can draw in just 30 measly minutes.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Idk why they did but I've heard they offer with four A levels to make sure that you can actually do well in all them because it advantaged your application. Not 100% though.
That's interesting. It's one of the reasons I recommend that people don't take four A levels unless they're doing physical natsci: if you take four, you might end up with an offer based on four!

I've never heard of a medicine application requiring results in four A levels though. Doones - with your armoury of data, is this becoming more prevalent for certain students?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
That's interesting. It's one of the reasons I recommend that people don't take four A levels unless they're doing physical natsci: if you take four, you might end up with an offer based on four!

I've never heard of a medicine application requiring results in four A levels though. Doones - with your armoury of data, is this becoming more prevalent for certain students?
I haven't seen any data, and it's been the case for a while that some colleges are more likely to give 4 A-level offers in some cases. But I don't *think* there's been a significant increase this year.

BUT science-med says they have seen some that indicates they are... :dontknow:
(Original post by science-med)
I might be able to share; not immediately.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Doones)
I haven't seen any data, and it's been the case for a while that some colleges are more likely to give 4 A-level offers in some cases. But I don't *think* there's been a significant increase this year.

BUT science-med says they have seen some that indicates they are... :dontknow:
Thanks Doones. I don't know about you, but I think the advice to only do three (except for physical NatSci) is redoubled then, lest a borderline candidate ends up with an offer on four A levels and all the extra stress that brings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads