Official Cambridge University 2021 Applicants thread

Watch
Lifestoolong
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone
I’m really struggling to decide on actual course and university. Can’t decide between Oxford and Cambridge!
1. Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, hoping for A*A*A*A
2. Natural sciences
3. 999999999988A^
4. The best uni for science (?), beautiful city, collegiate system
5. Oxford, Edinburgh, Nottingham, York, imperial
6. No
7. Not much yet😬
8. NSSA
MehranS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Felix.lxx)
I’m not entirely sure I’m going to apply for Cambridge yet, but I think I will!
1) maths (I’m taking maths this year), further maths, physics and chemistry - aiming for all A*s
2) most likely maths
3) A^9999998876
4) I absolutely love Cambridge as a place and all of the options that are available in the maths course. However I’m not completely decided between applying to Cambridge or oxford, my dad is pushing my towards oxford which is only making me want to apply to Cambridge.
5) again I haven’t decided but most likely Warwick and Durham
6) not yet
7) I attend fortnightly maths problem solving sessions, ukmt senior maths challenge golds both year 11 and this year, I’m going to two Cambridge residentials and wider reading and watching lectures/informative videos on YouTube.
8) STEP
Which Cambridge residential are you going to?
MehranS
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Computer Science - A* , Maths - A* , Further Maths - A*.
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Computer Science
3)What are your GCSE Grades? 999999888
4)Why Cambridge? Ever since I was in secondary school I've always aspired to attend Cambridge.

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? Warwick, St Andrews, Imperial.
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Not yet
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. Currently tutoring year 11 students through their Maths and English GCSE's. Working on several projects including a website which visually represents my college's data.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.
Felix.lxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MehranS)
Which Cambridge residential are you going to?
I’m going on the Women In Maths residential and the Rosalind Franklin STEM conference
MehranS
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ah ok, I'm going to the Peterhouse Residential.
John Wick11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How was the stem at Imperial?
kylohowell
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) Maths, Chemistry, History and self-studying Classical Civilisation, hoping for A* in all of them, probably more likely to get A*s in all of them apart from maths2) Classics (4 years)3)What are your GCSE Grades? 9888777764) It’s just always been my dream really About UCAS specifically:5) Edinburgh, Durham, Exeter and Royal Holloway 6) Nope, not yet 7) Just an insane amount of extra reading, which honestly I am loving 8) Nope, it’d be an at interview thing, although I don’t think I’ll even get that far
CJStevens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by legallyroyal63)
Hey everyone! I currently hold an offer for Law at Gonville and Caius, Cambridge for 2020 entry and am happy to answer any questions anyone has about the process or law applications in particular good luck!

(offer conditions = A*AA)
Hey, I want to study law at Cambridge - at the moment I'm going to apply to Corpus Christi. How did you make your application strong and specific to law, and what are your 3 top tips for a prospective law student like myself?
Thank you!
CJStevens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi everyone!
1) I take English Lit, Mathematics, and Law. I'm currently predicted A*A*A, though will try to make that three A*s before summer!
2) I want to take Law at Cam
3) I got 9888888876 at GCSE
4)Cambridge is a beautiful area of prestige and elite. My background sees me fall into certain stereotypes, and what better way to break them than going to Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Durham, LSE, UCL, and King's
6)I have been to an open day for St John's college
8)The CLT (Cambridge Law Test)
legallyroyal63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by CJStevens)
Hey, I want to study law at Cambridge - at the moment I'm going to apply to Corpus Christi. How did you make your application strong and specific to law, and what are your 3 top tips for a prospective law student like myself?
Thank you!
so I did work experience at a barristers chambers, law essay competition at trinity, epq on human rights, attended the Cambridge sixth form law conference, did mock trials and read loads of books which I talked about in my personal statement.
3 tips:
-super curriculars are important to differentiate yourself from other candidates and are good talking points at interview
-get the highest predicted grades possible
-don’t apply to a college based on statistics. E.g. I applied to gonville and caius regardless of their statistics even though they had 100 applications for law for 15 places last year.
Hope this helps
sentry_going_up
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by John Wick11)
How was the stem at Imperial?
If I'm honest it wasn't fantastic, but if you can get a place on something like it it wouldn't do you any harm.
John Wick11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good to know, thanks
s.jones5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of reapplying if I get rejected from my second choice uni aswell and hopefully get some good grades this summer. I applied last year and was rejected from the pool at St. Johns. The thought of reapplying is terrifying as it's a whole year of my life but I do really believe that I can do better and that Cambridge is where I want to be.
dxnixl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
GCSE: 999988887
A-Level Predictions : A*A*A*
Course: Medicine - I hope!

Extra / Super Curricular:
- Online course on the cognitive and physical impact of Dementia, and extra reading
- 1 Week Hospital Work Experience (In Cardiology) {I applied and hope I get in}
- Care Home Work with the elderly {Hoping to apply once there’s a space free}
- Manchester Access Program (Which offer insight to Medical style lectures and academic Science based essays)
- Maths program at the Imperial College London
- Hoepfuly hoping to get a placement with the Social Mobility Foundation
- DofE and 3- months charity shop work

I think even going to University is orthodox for my family considering we aren’t the brightest, however Cambridge seems like a nice place to go and of course is really great academically.

Alternative uni’s: Probably Manchester
And will ofc be taking the BMAT and UCAS
Lifestoolong
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by s.jones5)
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of reapplying if I get rejected from my second choice uni aswell and hopefully get some good grades this summer. I applied last year and was rejected from the pool at St. Johns. The thought of reapplying is terrifying as it's a whole year of my life but I do really believe that I can do better and that Cambridge is where I want to be.
Good luck! What did you apply for and what’s your second choice? Do you mean you are still waiting for an offer from them?
s.jones5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lifestoolong)
Good luck! What did you apply for and what’s your second choice? Do you mean you are still waiting for an offer from them?
Thanks so much, I'm just waiting on UCL now, I have offers from all my others but I'm not sure I want to take any of them up. (except cambridge obvs)
Last edited by s.jones5; 4 months ago
user131002
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths - A* Further Maths - A* Economics - A* French - A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Economics
3)What are your GCSE Grades? 999999998887
4)Why Cambridge? Beautiful place, been to see it many times and i love it. Prefer the teaching style, e.g. supervisions and my course is more maths based which i prefer. Been a dream to go to Cambridge from a young age.

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? Warwick, LSE, UCL
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Been to see it on weekends
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one? ECAA
QQZE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by arshakshahr)
Currently studying in Scotland so adjusted it:

1)What Highers (AS Levels) are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths A - Physics A - Economics A - English A- Computing Sci A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Economics
3)What are your National 5 (GCSE) Grades? AAAAAAAA
4)Why Cambridge? Has been my dream since I joined high school, also sexy job prospects

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? LSE (also actuarial science), Edinburgh, St Andrews
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Yep
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. Hoping to help some younger kids out with their maths. Reading Economics related books and plan to publish a few Economics essays in the school newspaper.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. Yes I'm not sure which one it is off by heart but it says on the Cam website
mate you need AH for Cambridge.
t257
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by tash299792)
I noticed that there wasn't one for 2021 applicants - and while most of us are still in Year 12, it would be nice to have a thread for prospective applicants. (It's already 2020 - this time next year we'll (hopefully) have university offers rolling in!!!! :-O )

This is kind of @New Wonder's 2020 thread except for 2021 applicants.

(Some questions from New Wonder's thread):
To get this thread started introduce yourself:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
3)What are your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.
1) Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, all A*s
2) Maths
3) 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 5
4) I really like the idea of the collegiate system, love the city, and it seems to have a very good maths course, in terms of the options that come with it.
5) Durham, maybe Warwick, ICL, Manchester
6) Not as of yet, though I will be!
7) I'm a mentor at college for maths, and have taken part in several UKMT events, including a summer school. Also I've been doing plenty of mathematical reading, for example, some of Feynman's lectures, and completed an EPQ on 'the Uses of the Number Zero' to give me an insight into some higher level maths.
8) At least two STEP papers, but I will be sitting all 3.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by legallyroyal63)
so I did work experience at a barristers chambers, law essay competition at trinity, epq on human rights, attended the Cambridge sixth form law conference, did mock trials and read loads of books which I talked about in my personal statement.
3 tips:
-super curriculars are important to differentiate yourself from other candidates and are good talking points at interview
-get the highest predicted grades possible
-don’t apply to a college based on statistics. E.g. I applied to gonville and caius regardless of their statistics even though they had 100 applications for law for 15 places last year.
Hope this helps
I presume this means you got an offer from Caius for law this Michaelmas? I must have missed this in the law entry thread. If so, congratulations
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads