Official Cambridge University 2021 Applicants thread

Watch
legallyroyal63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I presume this means you got an offer from Caius for law this Michaelmas? I must have missed this in the law entry thread. If so, congratulations
Thank you!!😊😊
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aww good luck everyone it’s a long journey ahead of you.
jzseal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello everyone!

1. A*A*A (English Literature, Psychology, History) + A* in Level 3 Criminology.
2. Theology, Religion & Philosophy of religion
3. 999988876 (6 in maths lol)
4. The course combined with the beauty of the town and the uni's history. The apocalypse module in particular looks amazing and is unconventional, fitting my interests perfectly.

5. KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter.
6. Not yet, going to the divinity faculty open day next month though!
7. A huge amount of wider reading, MUN, Bar Mock Trials, teaching assistance. In my spare time I do taxidermy :-)
8. A test based on a sample lecture at interview.
Alysia.joy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths A* further maths A* chemistry A* biology A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? maths
3)What are your GCSE Grades? 9999887765 A* ( I know these aren’t the highest so if you think I’m punching above my weight by applying please let me know, I don’t mind people’s honesty)
4)Why Cambridge? you are able to be thought by some of the best academics in your subject. It’s prestigious reputation and Cambridge itself is such an amazing place

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? Warwick Birmingham Manchester bath
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? yes
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. helping other students in my year in a tutoring scheme. Out of syllabus reading. ( if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!)
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. step
arshakshahr
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by QQZE)
mate you need AH for Cambridge.
I know that but I'd be applying before I've completed my advanced highers and after completing highers in May so why would I predict my Advanced Highers if I'm not even in S6?
andrea!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi everyone!
1. I'm taking History, Economics, English Lit and Maths and I'm hoping for A*, A*, A*, A
2. I'm applying for a law degree with a year abroad (the Netherlands for International Law)
3. 9,9,9,9,8,A*,A*,A
4. I love my subject, a lot, and I am ready to fully invest myself in getting the best of the best education on it... Also, the town is so pretty and I really want to be a part of a community such as Cambridge!
5. Glasgow, UCL, Durham/Aberdeen, Warwick
6. Nope
7. I am just studying for my A-levels lol. I need to start prepping for the Law Test at Cambridge and the LNAT. I'm also doing quite a few extra-curriculars such as EYP and MUNs and volunteering.
8. For Cambridge I need the Law Admission one, and I need the LNAT for some of my other unis.
Last edited by andrea!; 4 months ago
legallyroyal63
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Alysia.joy)
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths A* further maths A* chemistry A* biology A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? maths
3)What are your GCSE Grades? 9999887765 A* ( I know these aren’t the highest so if you think I’m punching above my weight by applying please let me know, I don’t mind people’s honesty)
4)Why Cambridge? you are able to be thought by some of the best academics in your subject. It’s prestigious reputation and Cambridge itself is such an amazing place

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? Warwick Birmingham Manchester bath
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? yes
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. helping other students in my year in a tutoring scheme. Out of syllabus reading. ( if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!)
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. step
Cambridge are much more lenient with GCSE grades and yours are absolutely fine to make a solid application with. Just apply and you never know what can happen! I know quite a few maths offer holders did olympiads, is this a possibility for you? Good luck
International001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi all, I have some questions about reapplying to an Oxbridge university (first time applying to Cambridge). I have been rejected by Oxford for E&M post-interview. I did, however, receive an offer from LSE to study Management and Economics, which I have firmed. Now after I applied back in October, my interest in Economics started to grow relative to my interest in Management.

For that reason, I think I want to reapply through UCAS this October to apply for Economics at both LSE and Cambridge. I will still start my studies at LSE this year, (because perhaps my interest for Management will come back) so I was wondering if this would give me any disadvantage. I presume they will see I am a reapplicant as my grades will already be achieved. Does this give me any advantage? Do I have to mention in my UCAS application what I am doing in my 'gap year'? I.e. that I am studying at a university? That will not portray me as a student who has a stable interest, which could cause me to be a less competitive applicant. Do I have to mention that my interests shifted?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

- A worried international student.
user131002
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by International001)
Hi all, I have some questions about reapplying to an Oxbridge university (first time applying to Cambridge). I have been rejected by Oxford for E&M post-interview. I did, however, receive an offer from LSE to study Management and Economics, which I have firmed. Now after I applied back in October, my interest in Economics started to grow relative to my interest in Management.

For that reason, I think I want to reapply through UCAS this October to apply for Economics at both LSE and Cambridge. I will still start my studies at LSE this year, (because perhaps my interest for Management will come back) so I was wondering if this would give me any disadvantage. I presume they will see I am a reapplicant as my grades will already be achieved. Does this give me any advantage? Do I have to mention in my UCAS application what I am doing in my 'gap year'? I.e. that I am studying at a university? That will not portray me as a student who has a stable interest, which could cause me to be a less competitive applicant. Do I have to mention that my interests shifted?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

- A worried international student.
dont think cambridge allows transfers from other universities. you will have to take the year out and reapply.
International001
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by user131002)
dont think cambridge allows transfers from other universities. you will have to take the year out and reapply.
But I don't think I am like a transfer student, as I am not only applying to enroll in the first year of an undergraduate study, but also because I am applying for another course.
dxnixl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’m really worried, I really wanted to apply to Cambridge medicine but have no experience whatsoever because of COVID 19.

I completely understand the situations the hospitals are going through, but am scared I won’t have anything hospital based for my application now...

All I’ve done:
- Course in Dementia and its neurodegenerative impacts on the brain
- Imperial University MOOC and UKMT maths challenge Bronze
- Charity Shop Work (3 months) in 2018
- DofE Bronze in 2018

I’m not sure about the uni access programmes, and whether they’ll go on either. Social mobility foundation are also currently suspending activities.

This is a nightmare. Any help would be perfect
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't worry about this! Almost all applicants will be in the same boat. There are lots of other ways to show your interest in Medicine which do not involve clinical settings (watching documentaries, for example, or reading books about Medicine), so I would suggest you focus on those.
dxnixl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
Don't worry about this! Almost all applicants will be in the same boat. There are lots of other ways to show your interest in Medicine which do not involve clinical settings (watching documentaries, for example, or reading books about Medicine), so I would suggest you focus on those.
Thankyou for the response!

I'm currently deciding on books to read, and watching documentaries is a great idea
I'm just fearful as to whether I'll be disadvantaged, considering theirs many students who have done work experience earlier in the year / last year...

Nevertheless, I'll carry on trying to find whatever I can, as I don't want my application to seem heavily academia based.
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I'm a current year 13 and Cambridge maths offer holder (Gonville and Caius, applied to Trinity). Feel free to ask me any questions about applying for maths!
lolqwertyzxc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Because of this year's mayhem and how students are getting their 'predicted' grades.... If someone was to apy to Cambridge with these grades how would they look at it??? Without really sitting a levels...
kylohowell
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lolqwertyzxc)
Because of this year's mayhem and how students are getting their 'predicted' grades.... If someone was to apy to Cambridge with these grades how would they look at it??? Without really sitting a levels...
I assume they’d have to treat them the same as if they had sat a-levels, I don’t think they’d have any choice
Alysia.joy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GreenCub)
Hi, I'm a current year 13 and Cambridge maths offer holder (Gonville and Caius, applied to Trinity). Feel free to ask me any questions about applying for maths!
If you don’t mind me asking, what we’re your gcse results and predicted a levels? Also do you have any ideas on extracurriculars? Thank you!
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Alysia.joy)
If you don’t mind me asking, what we’re your gcse results and predicted a levels? Also do you have any ideas on extracurriculars? Thank you!
My GCSEs were 99999999987A* and predicted grades are 4A* in Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry.

For maths the most important thing to demonstrate with super-curriculars is that you're interested in depth and problem-solving, so in your PS you could write about books you've read, topics you've explored in your free time or competitions (e.g. UKMT) that you've done, although you don't have to have done any olympiads at all to get an offer (I got a silver in the SMC in year 12). I personally wrote about a programming project I did on RSA encryption that uses number theory as well as a combinatorics related paper I wrote about counting isomers in chemistry and some maths-heavy theoretical physics books I'd worked through, so they can relate to other subject areas as well.
s.jones5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Im even more scared about reapplying now as I won't get to sit my a levels so im that even subconsciously they won't see my grades as real grades as i havent taken exams
lolqwertyzxc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by s.jones5)
Im even more scared about reapplying now as I won't get to sit my a levels so im that even subconsciously they won't see my grades as real grades as i havent taken exams
that's how i feel too....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads