Corbyn and Sturgeon AGREE confidence arrangement in a hung parliament Watch

filletofish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.ft.com/content/d44bbc06-...6-62bf4f9e548a

Such an alliance would be an efficient outcome. Two ideologically aligned confidence partners would not only distinguish the style of government from the past 9 years but secure undisputable mandates via a further Scottish Vote, allowing the scots to decide if they wish to remain in a post-brexit United Kingdom given their strong favour for the EU, and a EU Referendum. This time the public would have full knowledge of the negotiated withdrawal agreement and a remain option to assess the then public mood and if the national view has changed.
Last edited by filletofish; 1 week ago
filletofish
Rep:
?
I also believe a Corbyn administration would address the issues of underfunding across public services and reverse the impacts of fiscal austerity of the former governments.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I believe this is more likely to preserve the union than a Tory government also. Tory government means the UK is over.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Risky move. Potentially a very good way to force voters in Scotland to the tories (after all around half of Scots (give or take) arent in favour of imploding the union and will thus vote tory simply to stick it to the SNP//Labour.
Same for down south but in reverse, few people would be tempted to vote Labour when they can, with good reason, view that as a vote against the union.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Labour would be mad to back a second Scottish ref. If the SNP win and leave, then you’ve lost your government partner. It’s insane. Giving Nicola what she wants isn’t the way forward, she’ll keep demanding. What If she loses again? Does she demand a 3rd ref with the the following question?

Should Scotland be independent?
Yes.
Yes,
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
I believe this is more likely to preserve the union than a Tory government also. Tory government means the UK is over.
The Labour Party are offering another referendum in exchange for power..

The Labour Party are proposing to stay in the EU which makes it far easier for indispensable to happen..

The Tory Party are n out offering another referendum yet.

The tory Party are hoovering up the Unionist vote because of how strongly pro union they are..

The Tory Party will leave the EU, which while it gives Scots more motivation to leave, also makes it almost impossible to do so in the way they want to. It means a boarder, and a repeat of all the northern Ireland problems if they choose to leave. For every % it makes them want to leave more, it adds 2x more deterrents and practical arguments for remaining.

Yet despite all that, it’s the tories that are going to break up the Union.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you serious, how is the union over under a majority tory government? The only hope the SNP have got is Brexit happens and labour give them independence ref 2
filletofish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
Labour would be mad to back a second Scottish ref. If the SNP win and leave, then you’ve lost your government partner. It’s insane. Giving Nicola what she wants isn’t the way forward, she’ll keep demanding. What If she loses again? Does she demand a 3rd ref with the the following question?

Should Scotland be independent?
Yes.
Yes,
I think it's reasonable for Labour to offer a Scottish Referendum, in a post-Brexit arrangement period. In relation to your initial point, I don't think the government would collapse as the numerics would have to be reconfigured, discounting scottish seats. Also it is unlikely for the SNP to immediately withdraw from the treasury or an informal agreement with the Labour government, as they would desire a smooth exit with close terms of alignment with the U.K. - these demands could include a currency union, free trade, extension of common agricultural and fishing policies - These are just potential suggestions, and these would be best and most easily achieved within a coalition of some sort.

In any case however I think the withdrawal of Scotland would consensually take place after the termination of the parliament under the Fixed Term Parliament Act, to allow economic and political preparations beforehand.

In answer to 'what if she loses again?', no doubt she will demand again given independence is the long-term political objective of the SNP however in the case of a 'no' vote - I believe central government via any major party would no longer be obliged to offer such a vote any time for the generation to come, you may question this on the basis of Labour's loose support for a 2nd referendum however in my opinion given the juxtaposing results on such a major referendum (EU) between Scotland and the rest of the UK, a further vote is justified.

And finally my views on Scottish Independence? I think the mutual economic advantages of our union outweigh the regional bases for opposition however I don't think it would be the end of the world as any resignee of the Union would be bound to close economic and political alignment.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Are you serious, how is the union over under a majority tory government? The only hope the SNP have got is Brexit happens and labour give them independence ref 2
The Scots will demand another referendum. A combination of people who want to remain on one hand, and the people who hate having tory governments imposed will form a coalition. I could even see an IRA type organisation developing long term if a referendum was surpressed.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 1 week ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Edward I, Hammer of the Scots, and Anne turning in their graves lol
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 1 week ago
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Scots will demand another referendum. A combination of people who want to remain on one hand, and the people who hate having tory governments imposed will form a coalition. I could even see an IRA type organisation developing long term if a referendum was surpressed.
I dont think so, Scotland is very different to Ireland and benefits from the union much more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (308)
46.18%
No (75)
11.24%
I'm not old enough (284)
42.58%

Watched Threads