The Student Room Group

Can I still do dentistry at university?

Hey guys, I started doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A Level with the hopes of becoming a dentist but I really don't know if I can fulfill this dream of mine because of my GCSE results. I got an 8 in English Literature, 7 in Maths and Biology, 6 in chemistry and English Language, 5 in Physics, 4 in Spanish and a D (distinction) in Business. I know I could have done much better in them as I went from a 3 in English Literature in November to an 8and from a 1 in Biology to a 7 and so on in the real thing. The thing is I didn't know I wanted to be a dentist until it was too late for me to revise properly like so many of my peers in school. I have looked at the entry requirements for dentistry courses in the UK and I do fit some of them despite my bad GCSE grade but I am also aware that dentistry is a very competitive course to get onto and because there is a lot of people applying to them, there is less chance of me getting in. Do you guys think I should just give up on it completely and look for something new or try anyway? BTW my predicted grades at the moment are BBB without any examinations done (they are based on my GCSE grades).
Original post by yellowblue123
Hey guys, I started doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A Level with the hopes of becoming a dentist but I really don't know if I can fulfill this dream of mine because of my GCSE results. I got an 8 in English Literature, 7 in Maths and Biology, 6 in chemistry and English Language, 5 in Physics, 4 in Spanish and a D (distinction) in Business. I know I could have done much better in them as I went from a 3 in English Literature in November to an 8and from a 1 in Biology to a 7 and so on in the real thing. The thing is I didn't know I wanted to be a dentist until it was too late for me to revise properly like so many of my peers in school. I have looked at the entry requirements for dentistry courses in the UK and I do fit some of them despite my bad GCSE grade but I am also aware that dentistry is a very competitive course to get onto and because there is a lot of people applying to them, there is less chance of me getting in. Do you guys think I should just give up on it completely and look for something new or try anyway? BTW my predicted grades at the moment are BBB without any examinations done (they are based on my GCSE grades).

The GCSE grades are amazing in my opinion and considering you have jumped up 7 GRADES!!! that's AMAZING and most students can't do this (I only when up by 2 grades lol (grade 3's to 5's) also:
1. Keep trying
2. NEVER compare yourself to others despite the sh*tty UK government and our crap education system wanting us to do so
3. PROVE YOUR SCHOOL WRONG work hard and grades you want to achieve. My crappy English said I was gonna get a 3's well I was expecting to get a grade 3-4 but I got a 5 (in both) despite missing out on 50 marks in total throughout the 4 papers so yeah SCREW YOU MRS A
4. Follow your good-hearted dreams
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Hey there,

I’ve applied for medicine for 2020 and my GCSEs were 8777766665. My UCAT (entrance exam) was 2440 (610 average) which is pretty average/ below average and my predicted grades are ABB.

What I’d say first of all is your are overthinking WAYYYYYY too much. It’s only November Yr 12 not October Yr 13 (this is when you apply). So chill lol, easier said than done.

Medicine and dentistry’s entrance routes are almost the same as far as I know so I can give some really good advice since I’ve just gone through the process. Here are the routes with different entry requirements:

Normal 5 year route:
Entry Requirements: AAA
UCAT: 640 or above at most unis (research this)
- Most unis will also ask for work experience in a similar setting. Really important!

Summer course/ programme:
Most unis run course related programmes during the summer. If you do a dentistry related programme at a university, some universities might guarantee you an interview (even if you don’t have the grades). I’d do some research of this route.

Foundation year (6 yrs rather than 5):
Entry requirements: BBB at most unis that offer this course
UCAT: Depends between unis

- If you are from an area of low progress to higher education, you’ve applied for free school meals, any bursaries and some unis may even see if your secondary school is below average. All these are examples of contextual data. Contextual eligibility differs from uni to uni so you will have to research. Also, not every uni does foundation year courses; search up which ones do for dentistry.

- If it ends up that you are eligible for these types of contextual data, you can apply for a foundation year course. It’s still competitive but a LOT less competitive than the normal 5 year course. So chances of you getting an interview MIGHT be higher. Also, they do check that you’re eligible so don’t apply unless you’re certain you fulfil the contextual requirements.

Graduate route (7 years):
- You do a science/ dentistry related course for 3 years and then apply to dentistry school after finishing that course.

- This is a very long route but could help you since you’ll be older and more intelligent therefore you’d be more ready. By the way, it’s 7 years because you do a 3 year course and then a 4 year accelerated dentistry course.

- Finally, the entry requirements for the 4 year accelerated course are the same as the normal 5 year course except for one thing. Rather than sitting the UCAT entrance exam, you sit something called the GAMSAT which is especially for graduates.

——————————————————————————
That’s a LOT of information to take in, I know. If you have any question please feel free to ask. Work hard and you WILL see success. GCSEs are just one factor in deciding whether they invite you to an interview, there are so many other factors therefore you’re not out of the game.

Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest