The Student Room Group

exothermic and endothermic reaction gcse so confusedddd

So if an exothermic reaction gives off heat, why is this reaction not favored when the temperature is increased, if you think about equilibrium Because the product have more energy than the reactants, so it definitely gives off heat, making it cooler. But apparently an exothermic reaction gives off heat, so I'm very confused.

I'm really not sure if that made senes, but I would really appreciate it if someone explained this concept to me. Thank you much in advance !!! xxx
consider the heat as a product of the reaction. more heat, ie, higher temperature-->more products--> favour reverse reaction.
Equilibrium likes to under specific conditions, and temperature is one of these conditions it likes to keep constant. If you increase the temperature, then the equilibrium will shift to the endothermic direction. This is so it can absorb the extra heat energy, because endothermic reactions take in energy as opposed to give out energy.

So, if the forward reaction is exothermic, and you put in more heart (i.e. more energy), then you need to take in that extra heat energy, and you do that by going the reverse (back reaction). If you decrease the temperature, then the equilibrium will shift to the exothermic direction to produce more heart/energy. It wants to keep that constant.

As is if the forward reaction is endothermic, and you put in more heat, then you will need to take away that extra heat energy, and your reaction goes the endothermic direction (forwards in this case). If you decrease the temperature, then equilibrium will shift to the exothermic (backwards in this case), to produce more heat energy

I hope this helped?
Original post by inoubliable
Equilibrium likes to under specific conditions, and temperature is one of these conditions it likes to keep constant. If you increase the temperature, then the equilibrium will shift to the endothermic direction. This is so it can absorb the extra heat energy, because endothermic reactions take in energy as opposed to give out energy.

So, if the forward reaction is exothermic, and you put in more heart (i.e. more energy), then you need to take in that extra heat energy, and you do that by going the reverse (back reaction). If you decrease the temperature, then the equilibrium will shift to the exothermic direction to produce more heart/energy. It wants to keep that constant.

As is if the forward reaction is endothermic, and you put in more heat, then you will need to take away that extra heat energy, and your reaction goes the endothermic direction (forwards in this case). If you decrease the temperature, then equilibrium will shift to the exothermic (backwards in this case), to produce more heat energy

I hope this helped?

ohhh tysm!!!!! this helped me a lot. thank you!!
Reply 4
Think of equilibrium as that it will try to counter any change you make to it. If you add more heat, then the position of equilibrium will change in the opposite direction to reduce this effect.

Quick Reply

Latest