The Student Room Group

Best way to prepare for night shift?

So I have my first night shifts next week, any tips on how to prepare for them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nap. Take a 30 minute nap before your shift begins and, if possible, try to get in a few 10-20 minute naps throughout the night. ...
Eat small portions throughout the shift. ...
Keep moving. ...
Chat with your co-workers. ...
Be careful with your caffeine intake.
Coffee coffee coffee; keeps you awake, you’re buzzing so more productive and need a lot of trips to the toilet so good breaks during work
Reply 3
Original post by DJWatson
Coffee coffee coffee; keeps you awake, you’re buzzing so more productive and need a lot of trips to the toilet so good breaks during work

I can’t really take breaks but coffee is good
Take pre workout **** slaps hard
Original post by Pugglet
So I have my first night shifts next week, any tips on how to prepare for them?

You need to get enough sleep, have comfortable shoes and make sure you have eaten plus have energy food to hand. Is it an 8hr or 12h shift?
You can get caffeine tablets if needs be, but dont take them till later. 12h shifts are much harder.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You need to get enough sleep, have comfortable shoes and make sure you have eaten plus have energy food to hand. Is it an 8hr or 12h shift?
You can get caffeine tablets if needs be, but dont take them till later. 12h shifts are much harder.

12hr shifts
Shoes are comfortable
The sleep will be more difficult but I’ll make it work
Original post by Pugglet
12hr shifts
Shoes are comfortable
The sleep will be more difficult but I’ll make it work

Are you doing 4 days on 4 days off? Are you sat down or walking?
If its the former then get as much sleep as possible.
Get your stuff ready to go the night before.
When you get home you should have something to eat and then sleep till about 3hrs before.
Sat down is much easier.
Reply 8
Original post by ArabLlama
Take pre workout **** slaps hard

I don’t actually have any. Normally use energy drinks or sugar when training
Original post by Pugglet
I don’t actually have any. Normally use energy drinks or sugar when training

Daaamn you’re missing out. I take it once every week or so, so I don’t get used to it but that **** is liiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Reply 10
Are you doing 4 days on 4 days off? Are you sat down or walking?
If its the former then get as much sleep as possible.
Get your stuff ready to go the night before.
When you get home you should have something to eat and then sleep till about 3hrs before.
Sat down is much easier.

I’ve only got three as I’m limited to 30hrs per week
Mixture of sat and walking
bring some good food and 1L water so you don’t die of hydration. on ur breaks, if you don’t have internet on ur phone then bring a book. cause ur gonna be bored af. i don’t talk to anyone at work so if i didn’t then the 30 mins would feel like 2827 hours of pure boredom. bring a portable charger cos it’s gonna be a long night
Original post by ArabLlama
Daaamn you’re missing out. I take it once every week or so, so I don’t get used to it but that **** is liiiiiiiiiiiiit.

If it's strictly legal then the only actively stimulating ingredient is going to be caffeine. Might as well just buy a bag of caffeine pills for the purposes of staying awake, you can get big bag of them for a few £.
Reply 13
Original post by IH8Studying
bring some good food and 1L water so you don’t die of hydration. on ur breaks, if you don’t have internet on ur phone then bring a book. cause ur gonna be bored af. i don’t talk to anyone at work so if i didn’t then the 30 mins would feel like 2827 hours of pure boredom. bring a portable charger cos it’s gonna be a long night

I was gonna take some of my work to do in the quieter parts (if there is some)
Original post by Pugglet
I’ve only got three as I’m limited to 30hrs per week
Mixture of sat and walking

Sleep and food for energy. 3x per week not as bad.
Reply 15
Sleep and food for energy. 3x per week not as bad.

I’m only doing nights this one week then switching back to day shift as you learn more but it’s a good experience
Original post by Pugglet
I’m only doing nights this one week then switching back to day shift as you learn more but it’s a good experience

It will be fine then plus also makes a big difference depending what you do.
Sleep, plus food for energy and some form of caffeine to perk you up if needed as last resort.
Should be fine.
For nights ill often try go with tea over coffee....people vary but I find coffee goes for my bladder more, plus after a point ill crash bad....to say nothing of the loose guts and greasy skin you get after a few day coffee fuelled.
Reply 18
It will be fine then plus also makes a big difference depending what you do.
Sleep, plus food for energy and some form of caffeine to perk you up if needed as last resort.
Should be fine.

I’m a student nurse. got appointments on the day before my first shift so gonna caffeine it up that day and then I should be okay the others
Original post by Pugglet
I’m a student nurse. got appointments on the day before my first shift so gonna caffeine it up that day and then I should be okay the others

Nurse will be fine plus 3 days and a one off. I wouldnt worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending