The Student Room Group

How will brexit affect the NHS?

I have an interview for Medicine tomorrow and I will be expected to know what brexit means for the NHS.

I know a bit about the staffing issues, but not much else (e.g. medication supplies)...

Could anyone give me a few quick pointers? Also, how will it differ for deal/no-deal, etc.

Thank you!
Reply 1
52% voted to sail off a cliff and raised what was otherwise a far right fringe of the Tory party to power. Now... do I vote for the twat who caused this mess in the first place or some other *****? Fantastic!
Reply 2
I doubt they will bring it up tbh. There's a lot of assumption that big topics such as this along with euthanasia, opt-out organ donation, etc. will be brought up in med school interviews. But these topics are huge and very personable to both candidates and assessors. They are not very suited to interviews with limited time (especially if it is MMI).

If you mention it, they may expect you to elaborate on things further, so I'd avoid it if possible.
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I have an interview for Medicine tomorrow and I will be expected to know what brexit means for the NHS.

I know a bit about the staffing issues, but not much else (e.g. medication supplies)...

Could anyone give me a few quick pointers? Also, how will it differ for deal/no-deal, etc.

Thank you!

If you can answer these questions, you're doing better than the politicians.

There is literally no plan. Just saying 'there may be issues for recruiting EU staff', 'there may be issues for medical supplies', 'there may be issues for research funding and collaboration', is as far as everyone else has got, so will be fine for interview.
Original post by bfm.mcdermott

Thank you!

Lol, that would be a bit of a mean interview question. Re medication supplies: for your interview I'd probably just say that one significant area of concern is radioisotopes (which decay rapidly and need to be delivered promptly and cannot be stockpiled). It's unlikely they'll ask you anything further about this.

There are some summary pdfs you can download here if you want to depress yourself:

https://www.bma.org.uk/collective-voice/influence/europe/brexit/bma-brexit-briefings

The main summary document is here, have a look at some of the key subheadings:

https://www.bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pdfs/collective%20voice/influence/europe/bma-no-deal-brexit-briefing-aug-19-v2.pdf?la=en
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Marathi
I doubt they will bring it up tbh. There's a lot of assumption that big topics such as this along with euthanasia, opt-out organ donation, etc. will be brought up in med school interviews. But these topics are huge and very personable to both candidates and assessors. They are not very suited to interviews with limited time (especially if it is MMI).

Funnily enough...
They should only really ask you what could brexit mean for the NHS, because anything regarding brexit is speculative at the moment. Nobody knows what will happen, those that claim to know are lying.
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
If you can answer these questions, you're doing better than the politicians.

There is literally no plan. Just saying 'there may be issues for recruiting EU staff', 'there may be issues for medical supplies', 'there may be issues for research funding and collaboration', is as far as everyone else has got, so will be fine for interview.

Original post by Democracy
Lol, that would be a bit of a mean interview question. Re medication supplies: for your interview I'd probably just say that one significant area of concern is radioisotopes (which decay rapidly and need to be delivered promptly and cannot be stockpiled). It's unlikely they'll ask you anything further about this.

There are some summary pdfs you can download here if you want to depress yourself:

https://www.bma.org.uk/collective-voice/influence/europe/brexit/bma-brexit-briefings

The main summary document is here, have a look at some of the key subheadings:

https://www.bma.org.uk/-/media/files/pdfs/collective%20voice/influence/europe/bma-no-deal-brexit-briefing-aug-19-v2.pdf?la=en

Yeah, but they are so desperate for ideas, maybe they are going ot start asking prospective medical students?? Though I doubt it, as they are not interested in the views of those actually doing the job now.....
Original post by GANFYD
Yeah, but they are so desperate for ideas, maybe they are going ot start asking prospective medical students?? Though I doubt it, as they are not interested in the views of those actually doing the job now.....

Christmas BMJ idea: record answers to this question and publish the best/funniest ones.
Reply 9
Original post by nexttime
Christmas BMJ idea: record answers to this question and publish the best/funniest ones.

I think it may already be a Twitter thread!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending