Anorexia recovery help:/ Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I just wondered if anyone who is recovering or has already recovered had any tips on how to start properly recovering. I’m still restricting my food and just need some motivation and inspiration on how to push through and start doing this)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just wondered if anyone who is recovering or has already recovered had any tips on how to start properly recovering. I’m still restricting my food and just need some motivation and inspiration on how to push through and start doing this)
https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....ices/helplines

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....able-resources

You should also try and find a support group.
Plenty of downloadable resources and a helpline. Explains what you need to do and helps you understand your ED plus the effect and how you might go about recovering.

They have webchat, youth helpline and a forum.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....ices/helplines

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....able-resources

You should also try and find a support group.
Plenty of downloadable resources and a helpline. Explains what you need to do and helps you understand your ED plus the effect and how you might go about recovering.

They have webchat, youth helpline and a forum
Thank you for that, I’ve actually used this and a few other websites similar but I’m just really stuck now. I’ve told my ED team but they kinda just tell me it’s down to me to do which isn’t very helpful. I don’t know how to just battle through the fear instead of letting it still control.
Anonymous #1
Thank you for that, I’ve actually used this and a few other websites similar but I’m just really stuck now. I’ve told my ED team but they kinda just tell me it’s down to me to do which isn’t very helpful. I don’t know how to just battle through the fear instead of letting it still control.
jennifugh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It'd be irresponsible for me to try and give advice because I'm not an expert about ED but I just want you to know I'm very proud of you trying to get better - and you will get better. It's very easy to oversimplify mental illness as just 'think positive and it will go away!' when that is absolutely untrue. It requires hard work typically with doctor's advice, therapy etc. A moment of mindfulness does not make things better. However you can absolutely get through this with time.
Posting on here suggests you are motivated to get better. You now just need to know how to get better - maybe explain this to your ED team and see where it goes from there - see if they have success stories from past cases of what helps.
You have got this.
Hope this helps
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jennifugh)
It'd be irresponsible for me to try and give advice because I'm not an expert about ED but I just want you to know I'm very proud of you trying to get better - and you will get better. It's very easy to oversimplify mental illness as just 'think positive and it will go away!' when that is absolutely untrue. It requires hard work typically with doctor's advice, therapy etc. A moment of mindfulness does not make things better. However you can absolutely get through this with time.
Posting on here suggests you are motivated to get better. You now just need to know how to get better - maybe explain this to your ED team and see where it goes from there - see if they have success stories from past cases of what helps.
You have got this.
Hope this helps
Thank you so so much!! This means the world
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jennifugh)
You have got this.
Hope this helps
I’ve messaged you
WhisperWillow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
When I was recovering it was because my mum had found out and I felt so incredibly ashamed. because I'd hid it for so long and I obviously never wanted her to know. but once she was told by a friend of mine I had no choice. I was constantly made to eat all breakfasts and dinners and it was awful. I hated it because I didn't want to recover because I still hated myself so much. but as I gained weight I saw that it wasn't the day that bothered me. it was the bones. the fact that evry bone was excessively defined on my ribs and my joints and fingers. My BMI was barely 14 after a month of this recovery but I slowly realised I wasn't eating for myself. I was eating for my mum and friends. they were so concerned that it just me to see their concern and how they saw me as a fragile piece of paper ready to snap at any minute and not me was so sickening I had to change.

It's never easy to start and in till the end you'll still find it hard. the most difficult thing is your mindset. eat for those around you first and see how they look at you with more happiness and content that you're healthier. then later on, mimic their emotions of your weight, and you'll eventually end up realising in the process they've become your emotions and no longer just your family/ friends.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by WhisperWillow)
When I was recovering it was because my mum had found out and I felt so incredibly ashamed. because I'd hid it for so long and I obviously never wanted her to know. but once she was told by a friend of mine I had no choice. I was constantly made to eat all breakfasts and dinners and it was awful. I hated it because I didn't want to recover because I still hated myself so much. but as I gained weight I saw that it wasn't the day that bothered me. it was the bones. the fact that evry bone was excessively defined on my ribs and my joints and fingers. My BMI was barely 14 after a month of this recovery but I slowly realised I wasn't eating for myself. I was eating for my mum and friends. they were so concerned that it just me to see their concern and how they saw me as a fragile piece of paper ready to snap at any minute and not me was so sickening I had to change.

It's never easy to start and in till the end you'll still find it hard. the most difficult thing is your mindset. eat for those around you first and see how they look at you with more happiness and content that you're healthier. then later on, mimic their emotions of your weight, and you'll eventually end up realising in the process they've become your emotions and no longer just your family/ friends.
Wow this really touched me thank you so much well done to you for getting to where you are!! Keep smiling
999tigger
Report 4 days ago
Sometimes advice can only go so far. CAMHS can be patchy to useless. I would see if you can join a local group for peer support as well as starting to self regulate. Do your parents and friends know?

I would have notes and knowledge about what it is, why its harming me and the basic steps I need to do to defeat it. I would carry it around with me and focus on it when I was slipping. There are other recovered eating ED posters on TSR, hopefully some will come forward to make themselves known to you.

The fears you have are misplaced and the actual risk from not eating or the ED are far more real and greater than misplaced ED fears.
Anonymous #1
Sometimes advice can only go so far. CAMHS can be patchy to useless. I would see if you can join a local group for peer support as well as starting to self regulate. Do your parents and friends know?

I would have notes and knowledge about what it is, why its harming me and the basic steps I need to do to defeat it. I would carry it around with me and focus on it when I was slipping. There are other recovered eating ED posters on TSR, hopefully some will come forward to make themselves known to you.

The fears you have are misplaced and the actual risk from not eating or the ED are far more real and greater than misplaced ED fears.
This is great you’ve all been fantastic thank you so much!! Yes my close family know as I’ve received inpatient treatment and counselling recently.
999tigger
Report 4 days ago
This is great you’ve all been fantastic thank you so much!! Yes my close family know as I’ve received inpatient treatment and counselling recently.
There are also stories on people who have beaten it and gone on to have a normal life, where it shows you the before and after. Create something like an inspiration board to remind yourself it can be done.
Anonymous #1
There are also stories on people who have beaten it and gone on to have a normal life, where it shows you the before and after. Create something like an inspiration board to remind yourself it can be done.
What a great idea!! Thank you so much
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I don't really have tips tbh but it takes time. I'm still not really "properly recovering" (I am also diagnosed with AN, my health is pretty complicated so I do what I can but AN related stuff is really difficult). Take it a day at a time, use other mediums (journalling, painting, music, etc.) to deal with difficult emotions. Recovery isn't really a destination it's something you have to work at daily and commit to daily.

Know your worth and be kind to yourself. You deserve to feed yourself and be well.

If I can help at all, drop me a message.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Recovered anorexic here

It's great you've got a treatment team, lean on them and get all the support you can.

Ultimately recovery is a choice you have to make. There's no lightbulb moment or magic fix that suddenly makes food ok. You just have to decide you want to try and force food down until it starts to feel easier.

Some things which might help:
You can choose how you eat to begin with. i had a lot of nuts/milk/juice as I didn't want to eat too much volume wise but also couldn't deal with fear foods just yet. It's ok to eat **** loads of fruit and veg. It's ok to eat a load of junk food. If it's helping you hit your calorie goal do it, you can make changes later when you feel stronger.
Get as much fibre as possible, constipation won't help you eat.
Get some looser clothes and avoid weighing yourself.
I found a food plan helped as I was just overwhelmed by the frequency and effort of eating. Having a plan and some prepped food meant eating was less obtrusive.

I also made a deal with myself that I'd try recovery for 6 months. If at that point I was unhappy I would just stop eating again and lose anything I'd gained. This isn't a permanent decision... You can take it back any time you want. But if you're gonna try you may as well try properly.

It will get easier. Refeeding and weight gain is awful I'm not gonna lie to you. But you'll come out the other side and feel better for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (11)
18.64%
Labour (29)
49.15%
Liberal Democrats (5)
8.47%
Green Party (5)
8.47%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
5.08%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (1)
1.69%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)