Unsure of who my actual friends are at uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It’s coming up to Christmas and I’ve met loads of people and have plenty of acquaintances that if I saw out or around uni I would stop and chat to. However if I actually think about it I would struggle to name some really good friends. I know it takes time for good friendships to form but I’m starting to panic. Did anyone else have this issue in the first term of first year??
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Yeah. I'm in second year and literally have no friends.
They keep saying 'you'll find your friendships soon or in second year' well in reality, we're breaking up for Christmas soon yet I have no one around who I truly get a long with.
Dreading resuming next year as I will still be in the same predicament: friendless.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah. I'm in second year and literally have no friends.
They keep saying 'you'll find your friendships soon or in second year' well in reality, we're breaking up for Christmas soon yet I have no one around who I truly get a long with.
Dreading resuming next year as I will still be in the same predicament: friendless.
The problem is that people hype up uni as such a great opportunity to make friends, when in reality, it's actually easier to make friends in school. At university, if you don't make friends with your flatmates, it's pretty difficult for someone to meet the same people frequently enough to have any chance of making friends.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
The problem is that people hype up uni as such a great opportunity to make friends, when in reality, it's actually easier to make friends in school. At university, if you don't make friends with your flatmates, it's pretty difficult for someone to meet the same people frequently enough to have any chance of making friends.
The thing is that people expect you to be friends with the people you live in halls when you don't actually have to be. Everyone is selected at random and given rooms to live in. Yes people make friends with those they live with and others don't. There should be another platform or such to give people another opportunity of making friends. What about, a group dedicated to helping people make friends that is solely focused on getting all sorts of people (from ages and backgrounds) together and helping them to build relationships/friendships with people. Everyone in the group will be there for one thing, which is to be friends with someone. And by the time, they have the resources, skills and knowledge they'll be able to make more friends as time progresses. I wish there was such thing, especially in my uni. A group of finding and making friends. That would lift a weight off my shoulder and others to, and also prevent loneliness.
Making friends in school and college was so much easier for me, the friends I had in school came to the same college as me but we all had our own individual groups but still stayed mutual with each other. My college years was the best to be honest, and I would trade it for university.

I agree with what you are saying and Making friends with your flatmates is a bonus but it's not always guaranteed.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
The thing is that people expect you to be friends with the people you live in halls when you don't actually have to be. Everyone is selected at random and given rooms to live in. Yes people make friends with those they live with and others don't. There should be another platform or such to give people another opportunity of making friends. What about, a group dedicated to helping people make friends that is solely focused on getting all sorts of people (from ages and backgrounds) together and helping them to build relationships/friendships with people. Everyone in the group will be there for one thing, which is to be friends with someone. And by the time, they have the resources, skills and knowledge they'll be able to make more friends as time progresses. I wish there was such thing, especially in my uni. A group of finding and making friends. That would lift a weight off my shoulder and others to, and also prevent loneliness.
Making friends in school and college was so much easier for me, the friends I had in school came to the same college as me but we all had our own individual groups but still stayed mutual with each other. My college years was the best to be honest, and I would trade it for university.

I agree with what you are saying and Making friends with your flatmates is a bonus but it's not always guaranteed.
Of course it's not always guaranteed for the reasons you gave. And I think your idea would be great. Unfortunately there is no such thing for some reason. Even societies are not a very good way of making friends because it's not like you're gonna be seeing those people regularly anyway, and most people there seem uninterested in making new friends anyway.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Of course it's not always guaranteed for the reasons you gave. And I think your idea would be great. Unfortunately there is no such thing for some reason. Even societies are not a very good way of making friends because it's not like you're gonna be seeing those people regularly anyway, and most people there seem uninterested in making new friends anyway.
Well if there isn't, I would volunteer as tribute in making the idea happen lol. Yeah I agree - the societies don't give you much help either. And even when you attend people are more focused on talking to their own friends who they came along with or playing the game (if it's sports). There's no structure in making friends there either, and true different people come along each time so it's not consistent and there's no chance of making friends etc.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Well if there isn't, I would volunteer as tribute in making the idea happen lol. Yeah I agree - the societies don't give you much help either. And even when you attend people are more focused on talking to their own friends who they came along with or playing the game (if it's sports). There's no structure in making friends there either, and true different people come along each time so it's not consistent and there's no chance of making friends etc.
Given all this I have no idea how most people do make friends at uni. It baffles me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (270)
48.04%
No (65)
11.57%
I'm not old enough (227)
40.39%

Watched Threads