Are you genuinely passionate about what you study/are applying to study? Watch

onequestion805
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do you actually find what you study interesting and get excited by what you're learning?
Medhopeful2020
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was but then I dont like the practical side of my degree (chemistry). At first, it was fascinating however, the excessive workload has put me off my degree as well as a career in chemistry. Bye bye Chemistry
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes! Though my enthusiasm waxes and wanes, but when I come across a particularly good article or crunch some numbers and a get a good p value (psychology!) then I remember why Im doing this (at PhD level now and it still hasn't lost interest!)
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I thought I would be - the course I studied in college was very much interesting and I enjoyed it very much. "Health and social care" - it's the same thing I'm studying in uni however, the context is very different, complex and boring. Don't have much enthusiasm or eager to study/learn about it because some of the topics aren't interesting therefore I'm only faking interest so I can get good grades and graduate.
InJailOutSoon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like every other clueless brown person I am planning to study law at uni because idk wtf else to do.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most of the time

Oddly like teaching it way more than I expected to.
bennyj901
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you arent then why are you even doing it? Im lucky my degree pays well, but money is not a factor at all. Economic just fascinates me in its ability to explain so much. Money is just a bonus and I would study it even if it paid minimum wage.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Medhopeful2020)
I was but then I dont like the practical side of my degree (chemistry). At first, it was fascinating however, the excessive workload has put me off my degree as well as a career in chemistry. Bye bye Chemistry
This.
I mostly hate my course because of the weekly 20-30 hour workload... I also have to spend EVERY 4-6 weeks before the exam period doing daily 4 hours revision for 2-3 exams.. Really burns you out and it isnt fun if you werent into chem in the first place.

I don't find chem interesting in any way. If I could pick my course I would do Comp science for the money ( 27k/30k straight out of uni and way less stress than chem); if I had all the money in the world I would have studied (ancient)history.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
If you arent then why are you even doing it? Im lucky my degree pays well, but money is not a factor at all. Economic just fascinates me in its ability to explain so much. Money is just a bonus and I would study it even if it paid minimum wage.
For too many people - the actual subject is almost a non-factor and all they care about is the job at the end or the university experience.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes - wouldn't do it otherwise. Jobs are a secondary consideration. Luckily the career prospects for my degree are fairly positive, though this wouldn't have stopped me pursuing something else if I were more interested.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, and I enjoy the majority of what I study. There will always be certain aspects or subsections of my discipline that I'm not so keen on, but it would be tricky to find something where everything is equally interesting.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
100%. Can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Yep study Dent and live every day of it. There are some stuff which seem irrelevant to what we need, such as physiology practicals, but I love the course and feel privileged to be studying it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (331)
45.97%
No (78)
10.83%
I'm not old enough (311)
43.19%

Watched Threads