why do some somalis consider themselves arab

Watch this thread
shuush
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
im a lightskin somali with soft curly hair people usually assume im arab becasue i look and can speak arabic but i consider myself black
username4933904
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shuush)
im a lightskin somali with soft curly hair people usually assume im arab becasue i look and can speak arabic but i consider myself black
haha Arabs don't even usually consider Egyptians Arab. "Arab" is a strange ethnic grouping.
baekie
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
well somalis who consider themselves arab are delusional lol, i can guarantee you we are black and we are native to east africa and not the middle east. yes some may speak arabic but that's just down to how some people were raised
Maydy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shuush)
Firstly, ik for a fact you watch beta squad. Also you can consider yourself to be both cause im from libya and there are plenty of black arabs there. You also speak arabic so id say both. Do you look like AJ?
DeformedSavage
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Somalis will never be arab

neither will palestianians and syrians and lebanese and jordanians and iraqis

neither north africans

none of these are arabs

arabs are from saudi arabia, qatar, kuwait, bahrain, oman.. These are arabs
999QR
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DeformedSavage)

neither north africans

none of these are arabs

The definition of an arab is to be able to speak arabic you dont have to be middle eastern.
Ballon D’Or
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DeformedSavage)

neither north africans

none of these are arabs

This is definitely false information as the Arab league itself consists of 22 members which if not for their Arabic Identities, would not be deemed members of the league. Algeria, Bahrain, the Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. These are the members of the arab league. As being Arabic is not representative of a specific ethnic or cultural background, i would say its often how certain individuals choose to identify, of course with regards to aspects of ancestry, tradition, and geographical locale. After all, the ties that bind arabs range from ethnic, linguistic, and cultural ties all the way to historical and political ties. In simplicity, there is no particular proximity which needs to be approached to classify as an arab, but rather a range of different proximities.
999QR
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ballon D’Or)
This is definitely false information as the Arab league itself consists of 22 members which if not for their Arabic Identities, would not be deemed members of the league. Algeria, Bahrain, the Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. These are the members of the arab league. As being Arabic is not representative of a specific ethnic or cultural background, i would say its often how certain individuals choose to identify, of course with regards to aspects of ancestry, tradition, and geographical locale. After all, the ties that bind arabs range from ethnic, linguistic, and cultural ties all the way to historical and political ties. In simplicity, there is no particular proximity which needs to be approached to classify as an arab, but rather a range of different proximities.
Exactly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (140)
66.35%
No (47)
22.27%
I didn't use it to prepare (24)
11.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed