Resistant Materials (RM) / DT GCSEs Watch

hxhu
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently choosing between graphics and rm gcse. I’m also definitely doing business and geography (just a bit of context )

Has anyone done RM Gcse? Or DT Gcse (I think they’re the same)- im following the AQA GCSE DT Spec by the way
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have done Dt from the aqa examboard
hxhu
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I have done Dt from the aqa examboard
Can you tell me what its like please?
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hxhu)
Can you tell me what its like please?
There’s two parts: the exam and the coursework. You won’t do the coursework till year 11 because aqa will give your school a sheet near winter with three options you can base your product on - for me it was encouraging a healthy lifestyle, supporting developing countries and addressing the needs of people of disabilities.

In the first year, you will probably learn the content of the specification. For me, I did this but I had a chance to practice for the upcoming coursework so I made anything I wanted, which was a box with a hidden feature. Tbh I don’t remember anything of this year that much because it was boring learning the content expect making stuff and it was peaceful.

However in year 11, when you do the coursework, it seems peaceful at first but it becomes like gcse art with the amount of work you have to do for writing the processes and manufacturing your product. It’s stressful if you don’t get a good idea of what you wanna make or you don’t have a client - probably use your family or friends because that’ll be so easy. Anyways, you have to revise the content while doing the coursework since you have little time to revise as a class at the end - although I didn’t do this. It was stressing no doubt; I did enjoy it.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm confused. There used to be different GCSES in DT: DT (Resistant materials), DT(Graphic Design), DT (Systems Control), DT (Electronic Products) etc but now there is just GCSE DT which covers them all https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/desi...ubject-content so I'm not quite sure what you're being offered a choice between the same thing.
Last edited by Compost; 1 month ago
hxhu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I'm confused. There used to be different GCSES in DT (Resistant materials) or DT(Graphic Design), DT (Systems Control) DT (Electronic Products) etc but now there is just GCSE DT which covers them all https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/desi...ubject-content so I'm not quite sure what you're being offered a choice between the same thing.
Our school has a weird situation in DT, Here it is:

DT Subject Specification Exam Board

DT Ressistant Materials DT AQA
DT Graphics Art Edexcel
DT Textilles Art Edexcel
DT Engineering Engineering AQA
DT Food Tech Nutrition AQA

So GCSE Ressistant Materials is the same as GCSE DT, just with a different name
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hxhu)
Our school has a weird situation in DT, Here it is:

DT Subject Specification Exam Board

DT Ressistant Materials DT AQA
DT Graphics Art Edexcel
DT Textilles Art Edexcel
DT Engineering Engineering AQA
DT Food Tech Nutrition AQA

So GCSE Ressistant Materials is the same as GCSE DT, just with a different name
That just means that your school is calling lots of different things that aren't strictly DT, DT. If you do Graphics or Textiles your GCSE certificate will just say 'Art & Design'. Similarly what they are calling DT Food Tech (Nutrition) will just be GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (42)
28%
1 (23)
15.33%
2 (25)
16.67%
3 (20)
13.33%
4 (9)
6%
5 (14)
9.33%