What would you think if you saw someone with self harm at the gym? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
As the title says, just wondering what others would think if they saw someone with really bad self harm scars at the gym (and also some with plasters on them). Asking this as earlier when I went I wore a long sleeved t-shirt and would obviously prefer to wear short sleeves, but am reluctant to because of my scars
Karisa96
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As the title says, just wondering what others would think if they saw someone with really bad self harm scars at the gym (and also some with plasters on them). Asking this as earlier when I went I wore a long sleeved t-shirt and would obviously prefer to wear short sleeves, but am reluctant to because of my scars
I would not worry about that.
Just be you.
I work out regularly at a gym.
Your there to work not look around at other people, I'm certain no one would pre judge you,
Give it a try and see how it goes .
You can always pm me if you want to chat further about things. Good luck.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd think absolutely nothing, a lot of people with such scars are now happy and healthy, they might not mean anything anymore (tells you they had a rough past I suppose, that is all)
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I used to go boxing and someone who worked at the gym had arms covered in scars.
Honestly I didn’t think anything of it, I just hope they’d recovered and were doing okay.
Imagine if you saw someone with symptoms from a physical illness, you wouldn’t judge them.
Well mental illness and it’s symptoms are no differently really.
CryingAlways
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
deffo don't worry about it. i was in the same boat a few weeks back. learned to accept it. you do you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Thanks for replies, that’s reassuring x
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've been to the gym before with my scars exposed (well covered badly by some skin coloured tights but you could still see them), noone said anything
Anonymous #3
Report 3 days ago
I wouldn't say anything at all. I know it sounds morbid but I literally would say nothing at all. Have seen a few classmates with them but I personally think it would be impolite to ask them about it. They are a mark of their private issues and they don't owe you an explanation, or anything for that matter.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'd think it was none of my business.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
How would people even know they're self harm scars? I've always got scratches on me cause I own cats.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I have social anxiety, so I don’t really look at anyone else when I’m at the gym.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
How would people even know they're self harm scars? I've always got scratches on me cause I own cats.
Most SH scars are pretty obvious. Very few cats scratch in parallel lines.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Self harm scars are pretty distinctive if they were done using usual methods (without being too graphic here). They don't look like scratches.
CryingAlways
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for replies, that’s reassuring x
Hey no worries, it deffo is a worry. if they stare, stare back!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)