need an excuse for missing my seminar Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
serious replies only pls everyone this is urgent

i'm missing tomorrow's seminar because i have a 3pm deadline tomorrow for an essay i haven't started and then i work at a club from 10pm-6am most nights so i need to catch up on sleep before my shift :/

now obvs i can't give that as a reason for not attending, i've already missed the same seminar once this year because i was genuinely ill but i can't say i'm ill again!

help will be much appreciated thank u xoxo
Charlotteh4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
serious replies only pls everyone this is urgent

i'm missing tomorrow's seminar because i have a 3pm deadline tomorrow for an essay i haven't started and then i work at a club from 10pm-6am most nights so i need to catch up on sleep before my shift :/

now obvs i can't give that as a reason for not attending, i've already missed the same seminar once this year because i was genuinely ill but i can't say i'm ill again!

help will be much appreciated thank u xoxo
you could say that an elderly family member got ill and you had to stay with them to check up on them or even that a family member had to go to hospital for a broken bone and they kept you waiting
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to buy a new watering can from B&Q at the utmost urgence.
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
say youre ill again?? its winter everyones got something
JoshDarnIt_2.0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tell em' yer pet penguin got it's flipper stuck in the toaster and had to be rushed to hospital

Spoiler:
Show
...or you could just say you're ill again. I don't see a problem with it. Unless ofc the last time you were ill and couldn't make it in was quite recent. That would be a liiiiiiitlte suspicious.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Charlotteh4)
you could say that an elderly family member got ill and you had to stay with them to check up on them or even that a family member had to go to hospital for a broken bone and they kept you waiting
omg good idea, thanks so much for your help haha!! xx
neon1041
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tell them you have explosive diarheaa
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tell them you need to pack in case you get booted off the course on short notice for not being bothered with it.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by neon1041)
Tell them you have explosive diarheaa
Though the packing suggestion is more honest in a way.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Use the cold weather, say car broke down or something
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Tell them you need to pack in case you get booted off the course on short notice for not being bothered with it.
'not being bothered with it' when i'm working two minumum wage jobs alongside uni to pay rent and send money home to help my mum afford to look after my younger sisters + barely have time to do any of the reading or assessments even on around 4 hours of sleep every night. i know i should be doing better with my course but still a really unnecessary comment given the situation i'm in atm
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Do you need an excuse? Is seminar attendance closely monitored? At my university you get nagged if you miss too many seminars but missing a single one will just mean a cross next to a date and not much more.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 days ago
Can't you go to another group's seminar?
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Brexit... and the election! Has worked 3 yrs for the govt.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Brexit... and the election! Has worked 3 yrs for the govt.
The perfect excuse!
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
'not being bothered with it' when i'm working two minumum wage jobs alongside uni to pay rent and send money home to help my mum afford to look after my younger sisters + barely have time to do any of the reading or assessments even on around 4 hours of sleep every night. i know i should be doing better with my course but still a really unnecessary comment given the situation i'm in atm
Well nobody knows how much you are working so that’s just the replies you will get from time to time.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
'not being bothered with it' when i'm working two minumum wage jobs alongside uni to pay rent and send money home to help my mum afford to look after my younger sisters + barely have time to do any of the reading or assessments even on around 4 hours of sleep every night.
Ok, if you want a better answer, give better context.

At that level of workload you are very likely going to burn out / fail the year / scrape a 3rd so you need to come up with a better plan than skipping the odd seminar. A decent course will be designed for a fully engaged student who treats it like a job and has just enough time on the side for a bit of sport, some social life and perhaps a part time job for beer money, not to support a family. Its not going to work trying to do 2 other jobs at the same time.

Ok, what to do.

1) Go see your tutor and explain the pressure you are under.

2) Check what your university has available for emergency funding, many institutions and SUs will have bursaries to help students under major pressure. Your tutor can help making a case, or direct you to the right people to talk to.

3) If this really is your situation for the long term, you need to look at going part time or doing an OU degree rather than trying to tough it out.

Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (328)
46%
No (78)
10.94%
I'm not old enough (307)
43.06%

Watched Threads