Do English universities take Scottish highers for entry??

Watch
anisha211
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently in S4 in Scotland completing my National 5s. I'm on a dependent visa because of my dad's job and because of visa issues I decided that I will go to university straight after S5 (so I'm not doing S6). I want to study at uni in England and because I would have only had completed my highers at that point, I was wondering if top English universities (like UCL, Imperial College London, Cambridge, etc.) take Scottish highers for their entry requirements. If it helps, I want to study astrophysics or aerospace engineering (or something similiar).
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
What do they say on their websites?
anisha211
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
What do they say on their websites?
For Imperial College London, it doesn't say anything about Scottish Highers, it only says the entry requirements for Advanced Highers. UCL doesn't have an aerospace engineering course and I'm still researching into Cambridge so I'm not sure about that. Sorry
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anisha211)
I'm currently in S4 in Scotland completing my National 5s. I'm on a dependent visa because of my dad's job and because of visa issues I decided that I will go to university straight after S5 (so I'm not doing S6). I want to study at uni in England and because I would have only had completed my highers at that point, I was wondering if top English universities (like UCL, Imperial College London, Cambridge, etc.) take Scottish highers for their entry requirements. If it helps, I want to study astrophysics or aerospace engineering (or something similiar).
They do accept Highers as a qualification, but to meet their minimum requirements you also need to have advanced highers, so would need to stay on until S6 if you wanted to apply to those unis. You'd be able to apply to plenty of courses at Scottish unis though if you don't want to do S6.
username5260072
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have just finished my national 5s. I will be applying to uni once I finish my highers at the end of this academic year so when would I apply to imperial? as they only state entry requirements for advanced highers
anisha211
Rep:
(Original post by prishbosh)
I have just finished my national 5s. I will be applying to uni once I finish my highers at the end of this academic year so when would I apply to imperial? as they only state entry requirements for advanced highers
If you are going to uni after S6, you start your application once you are in S6. If I'm right then you apply to uni with your predicted grades and the uni then gives you an offer (conditional or unconditional) based on your grades. If you get a conditional offer, you need to meet their conditional grades when you complete your exams. UCAS sends your actual grades to the uni and if you got the grades then you are in and you need to either accept or reject the offer. So basically you will start your application for imperial at the start of 6th year. Hope this helps
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately for top English universities you will need advanced highers in order to get in. If you don’t then there’s no chance you will even be considered for a place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.42%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.57%
No (81)
26.3%
I'm not sure (33)
10.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed