Tyronedbeast
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I have to pick my A levels in 2 days and (as the title says) I need desperate help. I am sure on doing Maths and Economics as 2 A levels but must have a 3rd A level and an optional 4th A Level (unsure if I want to, but will if it helps my chances). I want to do something Economics related at a top Uni (LSE, Oxbridge etc.). What A Levels will go well with Maths and Economics. Plz help!!
1LazyMf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
pick a humanitarian subject cus it goes well with economics, pick something lime sociology, geography , philosophy, politics something along those lines

it helps with application to the real world imo
TheV1llain27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did maths economics and psychology. U could also take chemistry but I dropped that or physics if you like it. If you are looking for an easier A Level I would say take psychology or maybe sociology or the arts if you are artistic (but there is lots of coursework!)
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Geography goes very well with economics and maths. There are many different options, you could go for a science, any one would work nicely, history or English, a language, or even further maths. Pick a subject that you’d enjoy is the most important thing, don’t pick one if a teacher or parents persuades you to, do what you enjoy.
the90sbaby
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should pick another science subject like chemistry or psychology. Normally tops unis will require u to have science subjects in your choices (i don't remember if they would want another one beside maths but it's better to have another science sub with you in case one of them is too hard)
stephsmhb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tyronedbeast)
So I have to pick my A levels in 2 days and (as the title says) I need desperate help. I am sure on doing Maths and Economics as 2 A levels but must have a 3rd A level and an optional 4th A Level (unsure if I want to, but will if it helps my chances). I want to do something Economics related at a top Uni (LSE, Oxbridge etc.). What A Levels will go well with Maths and Economics. Plz help!!
Geography because some of the content overlaps.
jasminepanesar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
maths and econ are calm that should be enough for a econ degree if they even request specific a levels
i recommend choosing any subject that you particularly enjoy at the moment at gcse, because choosing something just so it 'fits in' with your other subjects really isn't worth it if you hate the subject (from experience oops)
neon1041
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Further maths is a good choice since most economic courses are maths heavy. Physics is also not a bad choice since you learn about a lot of interesting topics.
Tyronedbeast
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thanks for all your help. I’m pretty sure that I will do Maths, Economics,Geography as my 3 A Levels. However, I’ve heard further maths is really good for applying for economics related courses and I’m pretty good at maths anyway. Is it worth doing Further Maths as a 4th A Level.
karsh31
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
most top unis love further maths as a fourth subject for economics - definitely worth it, and if you like maths, then definitely do it. maybe it's not 'required' but unis absolutely see further maths as a plus
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks for all your help. I’m pretty sure that I will do Maths, Economics,Geography as my 3 A Levels. However, I’ve heard further maths is really good for applying for economics related courses and I’m pretty good at maths anyway. Is it worth doing Further Maths as a 4th A Level.
Have you checked out what LSE and Cambridge say about FM?
neon1041
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by karsh31)
most top unis love further maths as a fourth subject for economics - definitely worth it, and if you like maths, then definitely do it. maybe it's not 'required' but unis absolutely see further maths as a plus
Further maths is not a fourth A level. Most unis accept it as a proper a level.
Tyronedbeast
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Have you checked out what LSE and Cambridge say about FM?
LSE requires it but I can’t find the info for Cambridge. But I think further maths looks good on ur application.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
LSE requires it but I can’t find the info for Cambridge. But I think further maths looks good on ur application.
Not quite "requires" but if you don't have it to at least AS level your chances of an offer are far reduced.

For Cambridge:
http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/apply/ba-economics

But as you realise, it will be extremely useful to have.
Tyronedbeast
Rep:
?
Ok people, I have some doubts if I could cope with 4 A levels. If I were to do only 3 A levels. Would FM or Geography be more helpful to allow me to do an economics related degree.
Meowgi256
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
FM is good but its intense - definitely a lot. Better than geo tho for economics
mistie90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You should check requirements of different unis for what you want to study, sometimes they will advise or ask for a specific level requirement, also
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I agree that further maths is worth taking. You can drop it if in the end you don't need it/it's going badly
stephsmhb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ok people, I have some doubts if I could cope with 4 A levels. If I were to do only 3 A levels. Would FM or Geography be more helpful to allow me to do an economics related degree.
It really depends. Are you looking to do a Ba or a BSc, also which are you better at, which will you enjoy the most
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
TSR Applying for Economics advice : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

(Geography would be a good choice if you wanted to go into Development/Economics : examples https://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/programmes/bscdevecon/ and https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...ith-economics/)
Last edited by returnmigrant; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)