Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Doing a biology degree at a pretty good uni.
I have terrible mental health after a few recent traumas and have had to be admitted once or twice- im receiving plenty of help from mental health services and the uni are fully aware.

My concentration is so low that i can barely focus on lectures. Im struggling with gcse level maths that i know i can do. I sleep >11 hours a day and only attend compulsory sessions (I have been watching lecture podcasts and trying to catch up with notes)
On the online tests for some of my modules i do, i get below 50%,and thats with access to the internet.

I really don't think i can pass my exams this January. Ive got extra time in exams and i have been doing as much work as i can. Even if i am able to do retakes, i dont think id do any better. My brain is practically butter. When people ask my name it takes me like 5 seconds to think.

Even if i redo a whole year, i think ill be the same. Even if i get better mentally, i think ive destroyed the parts of my brain that let me do well. Ive been declining pretty much since i peaked in junior school. School was the only thing i was good at, and now its gone im lost.

I have no other options beyond uni - im too socially anxious for a job atm (ive had summer jobs etc but everyday was a living hell with constant panic attacks)

Has anyone failed uni more than once? Or managed to pass when odds were against them?
Dalpx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sorry to hear that.
I feel confused: Is GSCs to be done in high school? Why need you do it now?
Are you boy or girl? Are you in the first year of university?
How long do you suffer from depression?
Is the mental health service free or paid? Does it help?
I wish you to succeed in university!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Doing a biology degree at a pretty good uni.
I have terrible mental health after a few recent traumas and have had to be admitted once or twice- im receiving plenty of help from mental health services and the uni are fully aware.

My concentration is so low that i can barely focus on lectures. Im struggling with gcse level maths that i know i can do. I sleep >11 hours a day and only attend compulsory sessions (I have been watching lecture podcasts and trying to catch up with notes)
On the online tests for some of my modules i do, i get below 50%,and thats with access to the internet.

I really don't think i can pass my exams this January. Ive got extra time in exams and i have been doing as much work as i can. Even if i am able to do retakes, i dont think id do any better. My brain is practically butter. When people ask my name it takes me like 5 seconds to think.

Even if i redo a whole year, i think ill be the same. Even if i get better mentally, i think ive destroyed the parts of my brain that let me do well. Ive been declining pretty much since i peaked in junior school. School was the only thing i was good at, and now its gone im lost.

I have no other options beyond uni - im too socially anxious for a job atm (ive had summer jobs etc but everyday was a living hell with constant panic attacks)

Has anyone failed uni more than once? Or managed to pass when odds were against them?
I think you need to have some honest discussions with your personal tutor and GP. There's no point remaining at university if you aren't getting all you can out of it and it's making you more stressed - you don't want to prolong the inevitable (i.e. the university withdrawing you) when you can take steps to interrupt your studies or drop out for the time being. From what you've said, it sounds like those are your best options right now.

Your mental health comes first, and although you say that you have nothing beyond university, it might be a good way to clear your head and start afresh with whatever you eventually decide to do next. University will always be there, but you need to be well enough to access it first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (270)
47.96%
No (65)
11.55%
I'm not old enough (228)
40.5%

Watched Threads